Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Iowa Rivals Board=Tough Crowd

Gable ruined it. By not winning his third against Owings, he produced what is known as PTGS: Post Traumatic Gable Syndrome. Studies have shown most Iowans not only don't resognize the loss; they think he won. In fact, to most Iowans they havent lost a dual or national title since 1978.

When challenged with a significant loss, most Iowans will yell stalling or the ref missed the pin, even when the wrestlers were in neutral position. Some Iowans have been known to yell stalling if the opponent straps on the anklet too slowly BEFORE the whistle.

Most of the symptoms are manifested on the outer part of a wrestling mat. The Iowa wrestler tends to shove or poke at a clearly out of bounds defenseless opponent as a means of lashing out at Owings. It is a vicious cycle that has no cure.

Damn you Larry, damn you. . .and they grow such great corn.

This is true.  It also damned ISU to eternal mediocrity.

MSU158,  I admit I have read your post numerous times and agree you generally come off as a level headed guy.  That said when you go onto another teams forumlevel headed means little.  Fans = Fanatics!!  I have been on Iowa's site quite a bit.....post from time to time and have been called out a few times.  Think of the team forums as today's politics,  no one agrees with the other party and when you disagree with a party"sideas etc......it can get pretty nasty!

I still like to go there, I have deleted a few replys that I was going to post as not to stire the pot.....even if it's black!  Really though..... as many have said most are just great fans who love wrestling, some like any other board are a bit "off center"!

MSU:  On this forum, there's no winning.  There's a few people who like to talk intelligently and I've learned a lot from them.  But too many people are only interested in advancing their own agenda (ie: my team is better than your team).  So small minded and ultimately it all gets settled in March.

Some of you may be wondering how the bad blood between MSU and Wild Turkey started.  Here's a quick recap:

Wild Turkey:  [Wild Turkey steps up to MSU]  And you must be MSU.

MSU: That's the rumor.

Wild Turkey: You retired from posting yet?

MSU: Not me. I'm in my prime.

Wild Turkey: Yeah, you look like you're in your prime, you snitch ass trolling traitor.

MSU: And you must be Wild Turkey. Look, darling, Wild Turkey.  The hombre who likes his own posts.  What do you think, darling? Should I hate him?

MSU's Girlfriend: You don't even know him.

MSU: Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... Tom Minkel. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.

MSU's Friend: [to Wild TurkeyHe's drunk.

MSU: In vino veritas.  Ad locum cum Dziewas Grothus sit malus est. 

["In wine is truth. It's a bad idea to replace Dziewa with Grothus." 

Wild Turkey: An tu es idiot.  Repositoque Dziewa cum Grothus est bonum idea.

["You're an idiot.  Replacing Dziewa with Grothus is a good idea."]

MSU: Non est.

["Is not."]

Wild Turkey: Est nimus.

["Is too."]

Forum Moderator: Come on boys. We don't want any trouble in here. Not in any language.

MSU: Evidently Wild Turkey is an educated man. Now I really hate him.

Gable ruined it. By not winning his third against Owings, he produced what is known as PTGS: Post Traumatic Gable Syndrome. Studies have shown most Iowans not only don't resognize the loss; they think he won. In fact, to most Iowans they havent lost a dual or national title since 1978.

To be fair to Iowa fans, if you made them list out all the years Iowa did win NCAA titles since 1978 and they listed every year (1978-present) they would be right just about as often as they would be wrong.

As far as liking my own posts. I'm not even sure how that happend or how to even do that. I use my Samsung 5s to view this forum and post. I had to use my desktop to see how that works. Now I got it. I assure you I didn't mean to "like" anything.

And considering just how buzzed I was last night off Jameson and George Killians I think I held my own! Hahaha "snitch ass trolling traitor" hmmmm.. that might have been the buzz carrying me overboard a bit. I apologize for that

Hurricane,

I'm your Huckleberrry.  Just don't call me a Lunger.

Ha! Glad you got a kick out of it.

As to my opinion, I've never considered you a troll.  And, it's always been self-evident that you're a Hawkeye fan. As to not being from Iowa or having rooted for them all your life, so what?  Nothing wrong with choosing a program to root for when circumstances warrant.  While some might call all such fans "bandwagon" jumpers, I don't think that's necessarily true - unless you're just changing teams based solely on who's winning at the time.  

Besides, if you look at it historically, even Iowa's large fanbase could be categorized as "bandwagon" fans.  Fact is, that before they started winning in the mid-1970's, the Hawkeye's fanbase was negligible.  Former Iowa  wrestler Steve Hunte once said: "The first wrestling meets when I was a freshman they would only pull out one bleacher because there were only about 75-100 fans in 1973.  During those meets, joggers were allowed to continue to run, and students were still playing pickup basketball."

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

A little reluctant to wade into this thread, but will just say a couple of things.

It has been my observation that MSU158 is and has been a longtime Iowa fan. His posts always struck me as reasonable and not intended to unfairly trash any wrestler or poster. The defense he gave of Delgado and Nelson was reasonable... they were afterall 2x champs. That thread just seemed to be more a difference of opinion about what constitutes being a "great" wrestler. I watched Delgado throughout his HS career as Gilroy HS is in our section. Was always a fan of any CA guy doing well. But the manner in which he won many of his matches last year (hanging on an ankle) made me less of a fan, but I still respect the guy.

MSU, I think the best way to handle it would be to agree to disagree, and leave it at that.

Asking for opinions of the Iowa forum on themat.com forum is like deciding you don't like Seattle Seahawks, so you decide to ask Patriots fans about it. There is no shortage of anti-Iowa posters around here. Might as well as Willie at Flo while you're at it.

Some of the Iowa forum posters are a little over the top, but most are not. Most are just intensely loyal fans. Plenty of good info to be found on that board.

Thanks rossel3.  You are definitely one of the reasons I posted on here.  In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have since, regardless of my intent, it would be perceived as an attack on the board as a whole.  I just was shocked by how personal it became to some.