Sign in to follow this  
tigerstyle4life

Steiber Vs. Ness

Guest Kingsland

That would be awesome, but I think this match is too big for Ryan to bump Steiber.

Take a look at the freestyle match this summer between Dardanes and Steiber and maybe the bump up makes more sense..Nothing happens if he loses to Ness, but if he loses to Dardanes its a diff story

There is a good chance L. Stiebler will face Dardanes in National duals on February 21st, and he will almost certainly face him at Big 10(14) conference, and maybe a 3rd time at NCAA so 3 times in the next 6 weeks where he has to face him if their teams collide in the National Duals and they both keep winning, so lets take it as he is giving himself a major challenge with Ness like Askren did years ago against Kish. as a fan I want to see him wrestle Ness tonight and Dardanes in the 3 post season tournaments mentioned, if he was just wanting to duck Dardanes he could sit out and say he is still recovering from the flu or wrestle at 149 an easier assignment then top ranked Ness at 157.    He is challenging himself not ducking.   I like it.

Jaggers would have to CUT weight to make 157 to wrestle Ness.  He barely was able to walk during the regular seasons he wrestled 141.

As good as Stieber is he would have to weigh in at 149, while still weighing 143ish.  Even with 1-2 hour weigh ins, the weight difference could be 15lb+.  Add in the type of wrestler Ness is, it would be borderline masochistic.  One Ness elevator later you have a 3X NCAA Champ with a neck/shoulder injury and not wrestling for his 4th.  Throw in this may be the best chance tOSU has had in a long time for a Team Title.  As much as the fans would love this match,  Ryan would deserve being burned alive if he did so.

Finally, a close Freestyle match with Dardanes is NOT indicative of what would happen in Folkstyle.  Dardanes did not have to deal with mat wrestling. Stieber is probably the best DI wrestler on the mat and Dardanes weakness(he has admittedly looked better this year) is on the mat.  Also, Carter beat Dardanes rather convincingly.  The match would not be close.

I would love to see the match, but it makes me cringe similar to watching the 184lber wrestling at 285 for the team.  The risk of injury increases significantly.  If it is his only way to get a starting spot, and it helps the team it does atleast make some sense.  But, the risks of bumping Stieber up, like I said, makes me cringe.  As a fan, I would love to see the match.  Strategically, the risks significantly outweigh any advantages.

This ain't happening.  This is eerily similar to the concept of "Hey... look at that unicorn!"  At this point, everyone then goes 'whoa...', and groupthink makes it so that there really was a unicorn, even tho there really wasn't... 

ANYWAY... IF this crazy concept were to actually happen, and IF Stieber actually beat Ness, THEN what would people say about Logan's career?  As a fan, Logan is my favorite wrestler to come along in a long time, but I just can't see the scenario where this actually happens, and two, where logan wins.  Size difference is just too much... but... crazier things have happened.  

A wrestler going up ONE weight to challenge the best is one thing - of which I'm a big fan.  Askren did it against Kish, but MO also was trying to win the dual (replacing Ben w/ Marable was not a bad substitution).  If (and big IF) Steiber goes up 2 weight classes for vanity, it's bad decision for 3 reasons - 1) good chance he gets hurt, 2) better chance he loses, and 3) Basically diminishes any chance for tOSU to win the dual. A similar comparison of weight difference would be Kokesh going up to wrestled Cox.  Ooooof... 

Edited by fudge_tunnel