Sign in to follow this  
tigerstyle4life

Steiber Vs. Ness

OK... Would this be good for the sport?  OMG Yes...

Would this be good for Logan?  Not really... he could really get hurt.  But... a loss wouldn't tarnish him whatsoever.

Would this be good for Ness?  Not really... A win is expected.  A loss would be absolutely devastating.

This isn't going to happen in really any scenario.  (However, I could see a FS tourney where they both go 70kg for kicks). 

IF IF IF IF IF Stieber bumps and wrestles Ness... and IF IF IF IF IF Stieber doesn't get hurt... and IF IF IF IF IF Stieber actually wins... What do you crown Stieber as?  Better than Dake?  Methinks yes... and here's my hypothetical why.  It took the course of 4 years to migrate 4 weight classes, albeit, winning all 4.  This 'move' would be taking on the current #1, 2 weight classes up, within 1-2 weeks of the mover's last match, which was 2 weight classes down.  IF IF IF IF IF this were to actually transpire, it would be incredible for Logan, incredible for the sport, devastating to Ness, and would crown some new idiom that we haven't labeled on our Mat Warriors in quite a long time...

Interesting concept... probability of happening?  0.01%.  Probability of good times if to does... 99.9%.

Would this be good for Logan?  Not really... he could really get hurt.  But... a loss wouldn't tarnish him whatsoever.

Would this be good for Ness?  Not really... A win is expected.  A loss would be absolutely devastating.

This isn't going to happen in really any scenario.  (However, I could see a FS tourney where they both go 70kg for kicks). 

IF IF IF IF IF Stieber bumps and wrestles Ness... and IF IF IF IF IF Stieber doesn't get hurt... and IF IF IF IF IF Stieber actually wins... What do you crown Stieber as?  Better than Dake?  Methinks yes... and here's my hypothetical why.  It took the course of 4 years to migrate 4 weight classes, albeit, winning all 4.  This 'move' would be taking on the current #1, 2 weight classes up, within 1-2 weeks of the mover's last match, which was 2 weight classes down.  IF IF IF IF IF this were to actually transpire, it would be incredible for Logan, incredible for the sport, devastating to Ness, and would crown some new idiom that we haven't labeled on our Mat Warriors in quite a long time...

Interesting concept... probability of happening?  0.01%.  Probability of good times if to does... 99.9%.

LOL.  No.  Dake moved up into the weight of the reigning Hodge trophy winner and beat him three times.  The only person who I will listen to arguments about being above Dake is Cael (and by listen to arguments, that means I will acknowledge that Cael is probably the greater of the two).  Stieber idiotically moving up two weight classes for a match where there is no pressure on him is of no comparison to Dake risking his entire legacy.

Vak,

I completely agree.  What Dake did his Senior year 100% cemented his legacy.  Being a 4Xer was going to be an incredible feat regardless.  But beating Marion, Molinaro and St. John in his 1st 3 Championships didn't really make anyone say wow.  Don't get me wrong it was impressive, but beating Taylor 3X(including the All Star) while going undefeated having bumped up another weight class was AMAZING.

Any 4xer's to come, will have a VERY hard time accomplishing enough to compare to Dake and especially Sanderson.

hammerlock,

I agree.  They definitely weren't chicken fodder.  Still, the Taylor win is what put him clearly above Smith on the 4xer ladder.  If he would have stayed at 157 to win his 4th or went up to 165 without Taylor there, I don't think he would be viewed the same way.

Because wrestlers at this level are mostly friendly and talk to one another. Very reasonable to believe Stieber told Dake. Of course, it's also reasonable to believe that Dake is trolling everybody.

Reasonable to believe Stieber told Dake? Absolutely.

Reasonable to believe Dake would broadcast it over the internet when nobody else had mentioned it yet? Not so much.

They're having themselves a giggle.

Edited by BigRedMachine

Marion Molinaro and St. John are very impressive finals wins. I know it's unpopular to start talking about weak/strong NCAA finalists,  but Dake absolutely stomped three multiple finalists, and his match with taylor really wasn't that suspenseful. 

I've often brought this up, not to necessarily put one 4xer above another,  but just a 'do you realize the calibre of guys Dake beat in his finals matches?'

do the same when looking at 3xers-Mark Schultz and 3 Hawks in a row who combined for something like 4 titles and 10 finals slots between 'em.

How would a loss be "devastating" to Ness?

Is it financially devastating because he will he lose out on pending endorsement deals?

Is it devastating to his career because he will not be allowed to compete for a 4th AA and possible title?

Or is it emotionally devastating and his feelings will be hurt?

Is it really THAT much more dangerous injury wise to wrestle a bigger guy?

I mean yeah, there's a much bigger chance of losing, which is embarrassing, but it's not like Stieber is wrestling a bear covered in spikes. I bet that if he wants to win Olympic medals he will have to beat Ness sized guys at 65.