IronChef

Olympic redshirt criteria 2016

Seen here:http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Team-USA/Team-Selection-Criteria

There are four ways to qualify for an Olympic redshirt year Only required to meet one criteria

1) Past National Team members (Top 3 from the World or Olympic Team Trials)

2) Top 8 at the 2015 Senior World Team Trials

3) Top 3 at the 2015 NCAA Wrestling Championship or NCAA Champion from a previous year AND top 2 from the 2015 University National Championships (must accomplish both)

4) Previous Junior or University World Medalist

Who are the most likely candidates this year in taking an Olympic redshirt besides Megaludis?

Will be interesting to see how it effects a team such as Ohio State, who obviously has a training facility right in its back yard.

Will Snyder take one next year? According to the new criteria, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Ohio State currently has 3 members already qualified to take an olympic redshirt if indeed they wanted to in Snyder, Tomasello, and Hunter Stieber.... correct?

Unless I'm misinterpreting criteria # 4 listed, Hunter taking the gold in Mexico at the Pan Ams, Snyder's junior world gold , and Tomasello's junior world bronze all would suffice in qualifying to take an O.R.S. Hunter is currently ranked 8th in the senior men's freestyle rankings that just came out.

I doubt more than Snyder considers it, but Ohio State theoretically could have a potential Howe, Graff, Wisconson scenario next year with multiple wrestlers taking Olympics. Considering Hunter doesn't qualify for a medical waiver and his elbow needs surgery, this could be an interesting development. Thoughts?

ummm... no.  No they couldn't.

Hunter does not qualify for criteria #4.  

Tomasello has never medaled at Junior Worlds.  He has never represented the US at Junior Worlds.

Junior World Medalists that qualify:

Thomas Gilman

Gabe Dean

Kyle Snyder

Adam Coon

Joey McKenna (wouldn't have to take an NCAA redshirt)

Ohio State could end up with three who are eligible if Tomasello and Jordan make the University finals later this month. 

I suspect with the three of them all being freshmen (including Snyder), they may be more focused on 2020 and defending their NCAA team championship.

Does Megaludis qualify? I thought he was top 3 at the trials last year, thus a past National Team member.

He was not a National team member. He made the challenge tourney finals, but then lost to McDonough for true third. So no he doesn't qualify right now.

I don't expect Megaludis to take the redshirt even if he qualifies. His tweets at the end of the season suggested he was happy to be able to compete next year.

Nico Megaludis | ‏@babyflo_nico
I learned a lot this year!And so grateful for my team and how they performed! But man it feels good to be Redshirt Free today! #March19-2016
Edited by IronChef

Here's a list that I published in an earlier thread on the topic:  http://board.themat.com/index.php?/topic/9393-olympic-redshirts-need-more-strict-criteria/

JUNIOR WORLD MEDALISTS

Thomas Gillman (Iowa), 2014 JR FS Bronze, 55 kg

Joey McKenna (Stanford recruit), 2014 JR FS Silver, 60 kg

Aaron Pico (n/a), 2014 JR FS Silver, 66 kg

Gabe Dean (Cornell), 2014 JR FS Bronze, 84 kg

Kyle Snyder (tOSU), 2014 JR FS Bronze and 2013 JR FS Gold, 96 kg each

Adam Coon (Michigan), 2014 JR FS Bronze, 2014 JR GR Bronze, 120 kg

Alex Dieringer (OSU, 2013 JR FS Silver, 74 kg

Sam Stoll (Iowa), 2013 JR GR Bronze, 120 kg

Jesse Thielke (Wisconsin), 2012 JR GR Bronze, 60 kg

Pat Downey (Iowa Central CC), 2012 JR FS Silver, 84 kg

-------------------------------------------------------

UNIVERSITY WORLD MEDALIST

Sam Jones (N. Michigan), 2014 Univ GR Bronze

Edited by lu_alum

If I remember correctly, last time around only one who took an Olympic redshirt actually made the team. Andrew Howe was our alternate at 74kg. So although a lot of these guys make take the Olympic redshirt next year, I think it will be more so used for seasoning than as an actual attempt to make the team.

Snyder a lock now?

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm sure if he repeats this feat at the WWT, he'd kinda have to, right? Even if he finishes top 3, it's best for team USA to have him in the mix for the next year.