Sign in to follow this  
leshismore

Any results for Iowa -- Penn State?

Very entertaining match. PSU stepped up in this one but Iowa grinned it out. I really hate the inconsistency with the way officials are calling stalling on the ankle pick. Telford should have been called but would not have mattered, he is better than Lawson. Much worse was the non stall call in a prior match with that inside ankle pick ride for 10 or more sec.

In a way this was a better loss for Penn State than it was a win for Iowa. Iowa #1 ranked and favored at 9 weights and it would not have taken much for the result to have gone the other way.

Loved watching our underdogs show up today. Beat some really good wrestlers. I'd have given the wrestler of the meet to Garrett Hammond just for breaking thru a barrier by finishing on a kid that is probably stronger than he is. 

Agreed, Tbar. My wrestler of the meet is definitely Hammond. I think Moore could have scored multiple times if he pulled the trigger but Hammond stayed in good position and exploded through with his hips when he could've gotten stuck. I'm a huge Iowa fan but you can't help but appreciate a move like that. was almost he difference in the dual.

Agreed, Tbar. My wrestler of the meet is definitely Hammond. I think Moore could have scored multiple times if he pulled the trigger but Hammond stayed in good position and exploded through with his hips when he could've gotten stuck. I'm a huge Iowa fan but you can't help but appreciate a move like that. was almost he difference in the dual.

I have seen almost all of his matches this year, and that was a breakthrough for him today. 

So because Lawson didn't tie his shoe tight it was Telford fault? 

No, that's an incorrect inference.  I was merely pointing out that the delay was caused by Telford pulling off Lawson's shoe.  I didn't indicate (nor did I then believe) that it was the fault of either wrestler.  At any rate, that comment was an aside.  

I was just wondering if the ref made the right call and what rules apply to that situation.  If you'll note, I stated "I thought that, after the match starts, the equipment problem had to cause repeated delays."  And, while that is correct for most wrestling equipment (e.g., headgear, uniforms, knee pads), there is an exception for shoes.  A match delay related to a shoe coming off is supposed to be treated as delay of match, and, therefore, a stalling violation.  (And then, after the shoe is put back on, any time taken to tape them up counts as injury time.)

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

In a way this was a better loss for Penn State than it was a win for Iowa. Iowa #1 ranked and favored at 9 weights and it would not have taken much for the result to have gone the other way.

Loved watching our underdogs show up today. Beat some really good wrestlers. I'd have given the wrestler of the meet to Garrett Hammond just for breaking thru a barrier by finishing on a kid that is probably stronger than he is. 

Yes it was a better loss for PSU than a win for Iowa. 

Iowa could have just as easily closed out some of those matches that got away. It was closer than I would have liked, but dont just assume if they wrestled again PSU would close the gap.

As Charlie Conway and Gordon Bombay said, "A quarter of and inch, Charlie, and i would have made that shot". 

"Yea but a quarter of and inch the other way and you would have missed completely"

Yes it was a better loss for PSU than a win for Iowa. 

Iowa could have just as easily closed out some of those matches that got away. It was closer than I would have liked, but dont just assume if they wrestled again PSU would close the gap.

Well, the two teams won't wrestle in another dual this year, and one of them really isn't going to win at NCAA's I don't think, but that is just my opinion. The reason it was good for Penn State is because it showed that even with the patchwork line up Penn State still made every weight competitive, if not in doubt. Since we all know who Penn State has coming into their line up next year .... I'm sure you can extrapolate. 

The dual was very good for Penn State. Compare it to what people predicted would happen.