Sign in to follow this  
sockobuw

ioaw/psu thoughts

the little girl killed the national anthem. if you were there you understand why this is worth noting. i loved that conaway cut gilman off before he could get the whole way across the mat. brown also made evans back up into the center before shaking his hand.

125: gilman is so much better than conaway, but conaway gassed him. the stalemate with gilman on top in the first period is a terrible call. it should have been a stall. stalemates should be reserved for situations guys can't wrestle out of, not situations that guys have to take risks to get out of. i personally would have sent it to ot with a stall call.

133: incredible match. i thought the cautions were the officials fault. the first one should have been clark's and one of clark's was actually gulibon moving early. glad the caution point didn't determine the match winner. clark should have stalled out on his feet rather than taking an attack.

141: dziewa takes a lot of ****, hope he ends up on the stand in march. he wrestled well.

149: sorenson just doesn't do it for me as a top 3 guy. he can ride really well, but doesn't take any risks to turn the good guys. beitz needed to wrestle to the flash td rules when trying to finish the final td rather than trying to secure full control.

157: not much to say. as anticipated. frey is better than most think.

165: stunned, but i shouldn't be. moore is terribly inconsistent. i couldn't believe iowa didn't challenge the td at the edge that got wiped off. i hate the new rule and feel the td would have been awarded.

174: brown broke one of the toughest guys in the country. can't believe he didn't get hit with at least a warning. nice job riding the way the official allowed.

184: thought brooks would open it up a little more. i think he is very underrated.

197: mcintosh looked great. the explosion on the hc is something we haven't often seen from mm.

285: telford is a good wrestler and just enormous. i hate the rule on the shoe and actually need to read up on it. looked like good equipment gone bad to me. 

iowa looked a little flat and psu wrestled lights out to be in the match. i still like iowa to win in march.

hate the rule on the shoe and actually need to read up on it. looked like good equipment gone bad to me.

SITUATION 2: While wrestling, Wrestler A’s shoelaces are tied but his shoe comes off as he tries to kick out from his opponent’s grasp. The referee calls a delay of match and, therefore, a stalling violation against Wrestler A.

QUESTION: Does this rule apply since his shoelaces were tied?

RULING: Yes. The wrestling shoes shall reach above the ankle and be tightly secured so they do not come off during competition. The referee shall assess a delay of match and, therefore, a stalling violation to Wrestler A.

I think Brown is maybe the worst match-up for Evans at this weight. The matches that Evans does win against the top guys is on guts and being tough and Brown is just physically a beast.  I think it would be in Evans best interest to get into some scrambles with him, even if it means forcing a somewhat bad shot. I think that is probably the one area Evans is better than Brown.      

Frey wrestled in PA AA District IV, one of the tougher parts of the state for the small school division, and only lost 5 matches in his career.  Four of those losses occurred at the state tournament.  Frey at PIAA states:

Frosh:  champ at 103.  beat Geoff Alexander (semi, 3-2) and Mason Beckman (finals, 3-2 UTB)

Soph:  4th at 112. lost to Zach Beitz (semi, 4-2), beat Geoff Alexander (cons SF, 1-0), lost to Mason Beckman (3/4 bout)

Junior:  2nd at 135.  lost to AJ Shopp (finals, 4-2)

Senior:  3rd at 140.  lost to  Austin Matthews (sr yr SF, 7-4).

Congrats to Iowa they won the battle but won't win the war with those results...The PSU "Train" advanced again winning 3 of the B1G 3 and throw in Mr. Hammond knocking off the #5 wrestler in the country...Mr. Beitz will return the favor I'm sure...Mr. Frey did an awesome job as well!!!

P.S. Kid another scuff for you to buff!!!!

the little girl killed the national anthem. if you were there you understand why this is worth noting. i loved that conaway cut gilman off before he could get the whole way across the mat. brown also made evans back up into the center before shaking his hand.

125: gilman is so much better than conaway, but conaway gassed him. the stalemate with gilman on top in the first period is a terrible call. it should have been a stall. stalemates should be reserved for situations guys can't wrestle out of, not situations that guys have to take risks to get out of. i personally would have sent it to ot with a stall call.

133: incredible match. i thought the cautions were the officials fault. the first one should have been clark's and one of clark's was actually gulibon moving early. glad the caution point didn't determine the match winner. clark should have stalled out on his feet rather than taking an attack.

141: dziewa takes a lot of ****, hope he ends up on the stand in march. he wrestled well.

149: sorenson just doesn't do it for me as a top 3 guy. he can ride really well, but doesn't take any risks to turn the good guys. beitz needed to wrestle to the flash td rules when trying to finish the final td rather than trying to secure full control.

165: stunned, but i shouldn't be. moore is terribly inconsistent. i couldn't believe iowa didn't challenge the td at the edge that got wiped off. i hate the new rule and feel the td would have been awarded.

174: brown broke one of the toughest guys in the country. can't believe he didn't get hit with at least a warning. nice job riding the way the official allowed.

184: thought brooks would open it up a little more. i think he is very underrated.

197: mcintosh looked great. the explosion on the hc is something we haven't often seen from mm.

285: telford is a good wrestler and just enormous. i hate the rule on the shoe and actually need to read up on it. looked like good equipment gone bad to me. 

iowa looked a little flat and psu wrestled lights out to be in the match. i still like iowa to win in march.

LOL So Gilman should have been called for stalling but Brown did a 'nice job riding the way the official allowed'

there weren't any stalemates called in the brown match where the wrestlers were able to advance. that is where gilman should have been called for stalling as he was later in the match. i clearly stated brown should have been hit for stalling and it should have been inferred that he would have had to change his riding style when that occurred. 

I don't really think anyone was truly stalling bad enough to lose a point today. Warning sure, but not a point. The only call all day that I had a problem with was the out of bounds call made when Brown was riding Evans. That came with 56 into the RT and Brown clearly had both feet way in bounds. I think one of his knees was even in bounds.

Had Evans got a quick jump he could have gained 1 for the ESC while preventing the RT point. All in all a very bad call, but thankfully Brown rode him for another 1:10 to close it out. 

Edited by TBar1977

I can't believe they gave Brown the Cliff Keen wrestler of the match award, not that it means anything. Watching that was painful, and when they announced him as the award winner, they had no highlight to show so they just showed him running back to his corner after winning. What a joke.

Gulibon deserved the award.

I don't mean to take anything away from an impressive PSU effort, but... Iowa looked terrible and will not win NCAAs if they wrestle like that. Their guys who were winning couldn't get bonus, they lost all the tossups, and Moore, a senior who absolutely needs to finally AA for Iowa to have a chance loses in a pathetic display of regression and burnout. There really wasn't a bright side to Iowa's performance today. Obviously, that's a pretty tough assessment for a team who just won a dual, but I don't think Brands would disagree with anything I just said. Iowa needs to be peaking right now, not wrestling like that.

You just nailed it, wrestling nerd. That is the best analysis of this dual. Iowa won on the scoreboard, sure, but against a team redshirting 5 guys with another 2 injured. No bonus anywhere. Losing all the toss ups. If they wrestle like this at NCAA's they will flat out lose a title that everyone expected them to win. 

You used a good word for Nick Moore. Burnout. Maybe he is injured, but he looks done to me. 

Edited by TBar1977

I can't believe they gave Brown the Cliff Keen wrestler of the match award, not that it means anything. Watching that was painful, and when they announced him as the award winner, they had no highlight to show so they just showed him running back to his corner after winning. What a joke.

I don't mean to take anything away from an impressive PSU effort, but... Iowa looked terrible and will not win NCAAs if they wrestle like that. Their guys who were winning couldn't get bonus, they lost all the tossups, and Moore, a senior who absolutely needs to finally AA for Iowa to have a chance loses in a pathetic display of regression and burnout. There really wasn't a bright side to Iowa's performance today. Obviously, that's a pretty tough assessment for a team who just won a dual, but I don't think Brands would disagree with anything I just said. Iowa needs to be peaking right now, not wrestling like that.

I disagree. This would be the absolute WRONG time to be peaking, and that's the point. PSU is in a down year. Iowa peaked for Minnesota and Ohio State. I think they likely "trained through" this meet...if they try that next year, it could get ugly; this year, PSU is just in a holding pattern, IMO. JMO, but we see teams come out flat all the time, and you could tell Iowa was off even on Friday.

Guilibon may not have won BTN's virtual Cliff Keen award, but he did win the Ridge Riley Award, which is an actual trophy awarded to the Most Outstanding Wrestler at every home PSU dual meet..

Guilibon may not have won BTN's virtual Cliff Keen award, but he did win the Ridge Riley Award, which is an actual trophy awarded to the Most Outstanding Wrestler at every home PSU dual meet..

He earned it. That was a great come back + overcoming the penalty point. 

I disagree. This would be the absolute WRONG time to be peaking, and that's the point. PSU is in a down year. Iowa peaked for Minnesota and Ohio State. I think they likely "trained through" this meet...if they try that next year, it could get ugly; this year, PSU is just in a holding pattern, IMO. JMO, but we see teams come out flat all the time, and you could tell Iowa was off even on Friday.

tOSU is the only team to admit taking a year off that I am aware of, but PSU might as well. VAK is right on. Cael wasn't gonna come off like a turd in front of one of the largest crowds ever. 

I didn't say they need to peak now. They should be peak-ing, as in showing progression towards a peak in about 3-4 weeks that carries them through NCAAs. Instead, it looks like they peaked early vs. Minny and then fizzled today. That's not a good trend, and certainly not reflective of a team just training through a dual given how close it was to what even you call their prior peak. You don't peak every other week or two weeks. We'll see how they fare in the next week or two to get a better read of their trend.

What Moore and Burak did out there was just bad all around. Clark has now lost four in a row, so it's not like he was crushing dudes and then just had a bad day. None of that lookex like it was just training through a dual to me. I'm sure Brands has a plan, so my comments are driven by surprise more than an assessment of how they'll do in March or anything else.

I didn't say they need to peak now. They should be peak-ing, as in showing progression towards a peak in about 3-4 weeks that carries them through NCAAs. Instead, it looks like they peaked early vs. Minny and then fizzled today. That's not a good trend, and certainly not reflective of a team just training through a dual given how close it was to what even you call their prior peak. You don't peak every other week or two weeks. We'll see how they fare in the next week or two to get a better read of their trend.

What Moore and Burak did out there was just bad all around. Clark has now lost four in a row, so it's not like he was crushing dudes and then just had a bad day. None of that lookex like it was just training through a dual to me. I'm sure Brands has a plan, so my comments are driven by surprise more than an assessment of how they'll do in March or anything else.

Where did this clark lost 4 in a row thing come from?

What Moore and Burak did out there was just bad all around. Clark has now lost four in a row, so it's not like he was crushing dudes and then just had a bad day. None of that looked like it was just training through a dual to me. I'm sure Brands has a plan, so my comments are driven by surprise more than an assessment of how they'll do in March or anything else.

Smack made Burak look slow, imo. Compare Burak's plodding first period attempts to the comparatively fast high crotch that Smack retaliated with. Two different levels of speed and commitment. 

I again disagree. I think this was the right spot to have something like this happen. Maybe it's my black and gold glasses. I'm not saying Iowa wanted to lose the matches they did in the fashion they did, just that by having the wrestlers be more tired thru a combo of extra training and travel schedule, while also getting a game opponent who you can count on being well-coached, It creates additional artificial adversity and mental training. The only guy negatively affected long term is Evans and his seeding since that match is going to be a dogfight mo matter what. Iowa needed a lot to go wrong to lose the dual given the matchups, so it's a safe spot.