Sign in to follow this  
fadzaev2

Voting on the 8 greatest college matches

7 hours ago, doubletrouble said:

And also remember that Ed Banach went up to 190 the following year and was the 2nd seed in the NCAA...not the #1...

Mike Mann had defeated Banach at least twice previous to the NCAA tournament- and deserved the 1st seed. The dual meet win by Mann vs Banach is one of the great matches in NCAA history, in my opinion. 

Edited by BadgerMon

On 12/14/2020 at 6:45 PM, BadgerMon said:

Mike Mann had defeated Banach at least twice previous to the NCAA tournament- and deserved the 1st seed. The dual meet win by Mann vs Banach is one of the great matches in NCAA history, in my opinion. 

I have a couple of their matches in my library.....2 studs.....great matches to watch.

19 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

I have a couple of their matches in my library.....2 studs.....great matches to watch.

Do you have the ability to post them or give them to someone who does?  It might be nice to watch them during this pandemic.

Snyder vs. Gwiz was a great match.  Marianetti beating McIllravy was absolutely stunning at the time.  Another great IL vs. IA NCAA final was Joe Williams over Ernest Benion 9-8.  That is an underrated match in terms of down to the wire matches with two NCAA champs.  Those don't happen too often.

1 hour ago, Konquest said:

Snyder vs. Gwiz was a great match.  Marianetti beating McIllravy was absolutely stunning at the time.  Another great IL vs. IA NCAA final was Joe Williams over Ernest Benion 9-8.  That is an underrated match in terms of down to the wire matches with two NCAA champs.  Those don't happen too often.

1985 - Dan Chaid with a TD just seconds before time ran out was a crazy finish with Duane Goldman (Goldman was in his 3rd finals, losing to Mark Schultz (83) and Jim Sherr (84)).

DG had beaten Chaid by a point in the semis in 84 and then got by him 5-4 in the 86 finals.

I'm rather ashamed of myself not immediately recalling the Mills-Gonzales match....enjoy!     Sneaky Mills and his front headlock arm drag counter...while he made Gonzales tired early by countering his leg attacks and riding. Gonzales was about 50-0 going into the match, with an All Star victory over Mills previously.

For you young whippersnappers who don't know Gene Mills:

GENE MILLS, Syracuse ’81 can uniquely share his lifetime record since Day 1 as “1356-46-1 with 886 falls,” thereby earning his nickname of “Mean Gene, The Pinning Machine.” His camps and email address are labeled Pin2Win.  Gene was NJ State and HS National champion, Syracuse’s first 4-time wrestling All American and second 2-time NCAA Champion (also 3,4), voted OW in ’81. He ranks Top 2 in career college falls, won three World Cups and was voted OW as World Super Champion and Tbilisi, then Athlete-of-the-Year by the US Olympic Committee, all in the 1980 boycott year.  He’s in the National Wrestling Hall of Fame.

As one of the sport’s most exciting ever, the OW awards were no accident. In 10 bouts to win NCAAs, Mills had seven falls and won, 17-2; 16-13; 28-4.          His 1979 finals win came vs. Joe Gonzalez, the 1980 champion who won five National Opens and was a 3-time World Top 5. The win avenged a 9-8 loss to Gonzalez in the ’79 All-Star Classic. Gene’s last EIWA championship came by fall over Lehigh’s Bobby Weaver in the only known collegiate battle between Olympic teammates. After assisting mentor, Ed Carlin, as coach for many years, Mills resides in nearby Liverpool, NY, where he runs the Pin2Win Club and camps.

Edited by BadgerMon