Sign in to follow this  
jammen

Banned from the Guillotine

I've been banned from the Guillotine for posting a thread about the Minny coaches blunder that cost Nick Dardanes the win against Logan Stieber.  The score was 9-9 but the scoreboard incorrectly showed 9-8.  ND was riding a totally gassed LS with ten seconds left.  ND looked to his coaches for guidance and got nothing.  So he cut Stieber and lost 10-9. 

The Minny coaches were unaware that ND had received a stalling point and that scoreboard hadn't recorded it.  During a subsequent blood timeout for Stieber the coaches didn't challenge the error.

Coach Eggum accepted no responsibility for not knowing the score in his weekly Coach's Corner:

http://www.snappytv.com/snaps/17_-_ohio_state_and_maryland_recap_15tfgz

I contend that keeping track of riding time/match score is an essential part of an asst coach's job.

Top programs don't have this problem, yet this is the second time this has happened at Minny.

Evidently I crossed a line by criticizing Eggum.  Hard to believe as I've been a leading poster on that board (and not in my snarky tongue-in-cheek style I use on other boards).

That's total BS Jammen. I have been reading the Guillotine for years. I have never posted there nor am I even registered to post on it but I thought the reason for a forum was to express your opinion. I guess that forum is only for people that agree with the moderator.

All depends on how you called the Minnesota coaching staff out.

I said that although I have long supported Eggum as the next head coach I now question his character.

Admin said that was a "personal attack".

Question, why are u criticizing Eggum instead of the head coach in JRob? If responsibility falls on the staff doesn't it ultimately become the head coaches responsibility?

You were not as polite on theG regarding this topic as you did above. You questioned Eggums character and competency as a head coach, which to me seemed like a major reach regarding a situation where you were not involved. Perhaps I am alone in that opinion though.

I still disagree with a majority of fault being on the coaches and think the situation would have been avoided had the score clock person and refs done their job correctly. However we have already been down that road. Not suggesting coaching staff should be blame free, but life goes on.

I said that although I have long supported Eggum as the next head coach I now question his character.

Admin said that was a "personal attack".

Is it a timeout or permanent ban?

Nonetheless you're a really good member, here and there. I hope you're back soon.

Question, why are u criticizing Eggum instead of the head coach in JRob? If responsibility falls on the staff doesn't it ultimately become the head coaches responsibility?

You were not as polite on theG regarding this topic as you did above. You questioned Eggums character and competency as a head coach, which to me seemed like a major reach regarding a situation where you were not involved. Perhaps I am alone in that opinion though.

I still disagree with a majority of fault being on the coaches and think the situation would have been avoided had the score clock person and refs done their job correctly. However we have already been down that road. Not suggesting coaching staff should be blame free, but life goes on.

It is Eggum's Coach's Corner not J's.  Eggum first blamed the wrestlers, saying some were yelling keep him down while some were yelling cut him.  As if it should be the wrestler's, not the asst coach who gives guidance.  Then he blamed the refs and the scorekeepers before musing "it is what it is".

I definitely am questioning his competency as not keeping track of riding time/match score is a foolish mistake.

I also question his character when he throws his own wrestlers under the bus and refuses to acknowledge his own role in the fiasco.  Admitting that a mistake was made and a correction will be made was what was needed.  Even total silence on the subject would have been preferred over blaming his own wrestlers.

Questioning a public figure's character is not a "personal attack".  I was banned for writing "Want to beat Iowa?  Then learn the basics.  Tallying the riding time/match score is an essential part of your job."

The coaches discussed the situation in the press conference.

Ok, only one person took the bait. IMHO there was NO official press conference in a public forum, right? Just Eggum's weekly video podcast? I haven't been back to the G today so maybe a Q & A broke out?   In any case, a ban seems excessive for someone that's added so much value to that forum over the years.

Edited by headshuck

Actually, jammen, I would say that questioning a public figure's character IS a personal attack, by definition. You're attacking who they are as a person. That said, I'd also argue that it was probably an oversight that he didn't address it. Further, while tallying the riding time and match score is an essential part of SOMEBODY's job, I don't know that it's necessarily his. Have you happened to notice that there are more administrative assistants on staff than coaches? Presumably one of them has that job, or a student-manager, rather than specifically Eggum.

Look...there probably isn't a single Division I head coach that has been in their job for an extended period of time that I haven't criticized or negatively critiqued in some manner. Difference is, generally I'm saying something about the job that they are doing, rather than saying "Britt Malinsky is a shady character who should never be allowed in public ever again".

Regardless, I would say that a warning may have been more in order, rather than an outright ban.

Jammen, "the guys on the bench" includes the coaches(admin assistants). The only people the staff owed an explanation to is the team and Nick himself and we weren't invited to that conversation. We don't know what was discussed behind closed doors.

Jammen, "the guys on the bench" includes the coaches(admin assistants). The only people the staff owed an explanation to is the team and Nick himself and we weren't invited to that conversation. We don't know what was discussed behind closed doors.

Actually, jammen, I would say that questioning a public figure's character IS a personal attack, by definition. You're attacking who they are as a person. That said, I'd also argue that it was probably an oversight that he didn't address it. Further, while tallying the riding time and match score is an essential part of SOMEBODY's job, I don't know that it's necessarily his. Have you happened to notice that there are more administrative assistants on staff than coaches? Presumably one of them has that job, or a student-manager, rather than specifically Eggum.

Look...there probably isn't a single Division I head coach that has been in their job for an extended period of time that I haven't criticized or negatively critiqued in some manner. Difference is, generally I'm saying something about the job that they are doing, rather than saying "Britt Malinsky is a shady character who should never be allowed in public ever again".

Regardless, I would say that a warning may have been more in order, rather than an outright ban.

State and college message boards are often touchy.

had a lil trouble with my earlier miltuqoute attempt.

But a combo o these sums it up for me.

I didn't realize that saying "I question his character" was a personal attack of a public figure.  So maybe the G-board Admin really did ban me for that.  I thought it was used as an excuse to make the topic go away.

I used Eggum's name as shorthand to represent all the asst coaches on the staff as I have been posting on this frequently.  You can review the original thread to see that.  I certainly don't expect Eggum, nor JRob, to be the one assigned to tracking riding time/match scores.  Either Becker or one of the Admin Asst's should be doing it.  However, as far as we know no one is doing it.  Because as Coach's Corner tells us "it is what it is". 

cornering guys is an under-appreciated craft. you often see poor choices made when selecting position. as well as, guys not paying attention to details like the score, cautions, and stall warnings. it is very easy to get lost in a match as a competitor, it should never happen to the coaching staff. every coach on a bench should know the score, cautions, whose choice, and warnings unless they are addressing someone else on the team with pre/post match instruction.

Edited by sockobuw

Is this some kind of joke?

What he said is not deserving of a warning, ban, timeout, or anything.

Forums and discussion boards are here to give your OPINION.  An opinion doesn't have to be positive or in agreement with the forum moderators... wow.

And if these coaches did not want to be criticized, talked about, or held to any kind standard they shouldn't have put themselves out there as public figures by taking big time  (and tax payer funded) D1 coaching jobs.

I wouldn't want to be a part of any forum that treated its members in such a manner.

Edited by HuskyHero133