JimBob

Nice Abdulrashid Sadulaev Worlds Highlight

Thanks for the Medved highlights, he's amazing. I think at this point if he doesn't tech or pin or come close it's a disappointment. That's a tough act to follow but he will be fun to watch over the years.

Here's something for those of us who love data and records and all that. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_and_Olympic_Champions_in_men%27s_freestyle_wrestling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_and_Russian_results_in_men%27s_freestyle_wrestling

There has been one 10x world or olympic champ (Medved), one 9x (B Satiev), three 8x (Beloglazov, Fadzaev, Jordanov), one 7x (Khadartsev), six 6x (Movahed, Tediasvili, Andiyev, Khabelov, Smith (go USA!), Gatsalov).

Satiev won his first in 1995 and his last in 2008. In between he competed in most but not all world championships at 74kg. In 1999 Adam Satiev won at his weight (76kg then), in 2000 we know what happened (Slay, Satiev took 9th), 2002 he didn't compete, 2006 he took 8th, 2009 he didn't compete (what happened? Makhach from Russia won).

Damn it's hard to win that many world championships (as has already been said on these boards so many times). But it would be amazing to see another 10x-er in our lifetimes. Sadulaev has started young enough. 

Thanks for the Medved highlights, he's amazing. I think at this point if he doesn't tech or pin or come close it's a disappointment. That's a tough act to follow but he will be fun to watch over the years.

Here's something for those of us who love data and records and all that. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_and_Olympic_Champions_in_men%27s_freestyle_wrestling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_and_Russian_results_in_men%27s_freestyle_wrestling

There has been one 10x world or olympic champ (Medved), one 9x (B Satiev), three 8x (Beloglazov, Fadzaev, Jordanov), one 7x (Khadartsev), six 6x (Movahed, Tediasvili, Andiyev, Khabelov, Smith (go USA!), Gatsalov).

Satiev won his first in 1995 and his last in 2008. In between he competed in most but not all world championships at 74kg. In 1999 Adam Satiev won at his weight (76kg then), in 2000 we know what happened (Slay, Satiev took 9th), 2002 he didn't compete, 2006 he took 8th, 2009 he didn't compete (what happened? Makhach from Russia won).

Damn it's hard to win that many world championships (as has already been said on these boards so many times). But it would be amazing to see another 10x-er in our lifetimes. Sadulaev has started young enough. 

Saitiev retired after 2008.  Tsargush took over for Russia starting 2009.

Great sparring session.  It is so hard to get U.S. kids to understand the importance of knowing how to 'play wrestle'.  Also, I think this is the first time I have ever seen a Russian wear headgear; he must have had an acute ear injury he didn't want to get worse. 

The entire training mindset of the Russians is a far cry from that of the US. The sparring session looks half speed with both sides looking like they are allowing the opponent to go through the motions. My theory is we go full speed too often and overtrain.

I have no idea either. It would be so cool if there were a better way to train that would lead to better wrestlers that could be adopted. It's so interesting to wonder what mix of factors makes them so good. There are a lot of things to consider after all. They draw from a big pool, they do freestyle from the git go, they are much better supported (I think).