JimBob

Nice Abdulrashid Sadulaev Worlds Highlight

Btf I'm no expert on Russian training but they do wrestle live goes, which are taken seriously. There was a story circulating recently that Gadisov lost a practise match to Sadulaev and he was so pissed off he took off for a week. Also was pretty well documented that JB wrestled some full matches in training while at a Russian practise. These guys may do light sparring sometimes but they take their wrestling seriously.

I saw the Russian team train at quick-single's Ascend gym last November, and oh yeah, they go live. What I found real interesting was that one of their coaches wrestled with all of the Russians, regardless of weight class, and man oh man, did he bring the kitchen sink to these guys. Just all sorts of crazy moves and positions. They had to improvise their way out, if you will.

BTW, quick-single and his one of his coaches (Justin) did a great job wrestling against the Russians. Real fun to watch. (You don't know how bad I wanted to go out there on the mat and jump in. Probably good thing I didn't, been a long time and nowhere near in wrestling shape.)

Typical weekly training schedule (not specific preparation) which is twice daily M-F and then once Saturday includes two practices where the entire practice is just wrestling full tournament simulation matches, you go live and go hard for 6 minutes, rest a while, then get another match etc.. you may drill during or after (as with any practice). These are typically Monday and Friday mornings.

There are also two or even three practices where you play soccer or rugby-basketball (rugball) for most of the practice and just drill after if you wrestle at all

One or two times a week you go to the sauna

Usually Wednesdays are a light day where you play games and maybe go to the sauna as your 'evening practice'.. Saturdays are usually light or soccer/games and Sundays are usually off/sauna.

The rest of the practices are just technique with drilling and some live or sparring.. some may have more live than others but it isn't people taking turns doing full 6 minute matches

Edited by manyak

Btf I'm no expert on Russian training but they do wrestle live goes, which are taken seriously. There was a story circulating recently that Gadisov lost a practise match to Sadulaev and he was so pissed off he took off for a week. Also was pretty well documented that JB wrestled some full matches in training while at a Russian practise. These guys may do light sparring sometimes but they take their wrestling seriously.

Thanks for that, that is really interesting. Who wouldn't want to be a fly on the wall in that room?

If this is not a great throw, I don't know what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2izF6uvEzSM

I just can't get enough of those fireman's to the back the Russians hit. They make it look so goddamn easy. Sadulaev's technique here is different from others I've seen. He shoots with the trail leg and then follows through with the lead leg. It's like a mini-shot to get into position for the real shot that takes the guy to his back. Awesome.

Manyak, thanks for this, it's incredibly interesting. I'm curious, do they train for long periods of time as a team (like a college team in the US does)?

They generally train under the same coach from childhood to adulthood. They move around sometimes. Ossetians train in Osssetia, Dagestanis in Dagestan. Sometimes they have training camps for the Worlds or whatever where everyone trains together. Also some people live in Moscow or Krasnoyarsk and there is a mix of guys training there.

Typical weekly training schedule (not specific preparation) which is twice daily M-F and then once Saturday includes two practices where the entire practice is just wrestling full tournament simulation matches, you go live and go hard for 6 minutes, rest a while, then get another match etc.. you may drill during or after (as with any practice). These are typically Monday and Friday mornings.

There are also two or even three practices where you play soccer or rugby-basketball (rugball) for most of the practice and just drill after if you wrestle at all

One or two times a week you go to the sauna

Usually Wednesdays are a light day where you play games and maybe go to the sauna as your 'evening practice'.. Saturdays are usually light or soccer/games and Sundays are usually off/sauna.

The rest of the practices are just technique with drilling and some live or sparring.. some may have more live than others but it isn't people taking turns doing full 6 minute matches

Do you know if they work resistance/strength training into the workouts at all?

Do you know if they work resistance/strength training into the workouts at all?

Most wrestlers I've seen over there stick to pull ups, dips, and using 'rubber' aka resistance bands. They also had some speed/agility/fast feet drills. There were some weights and kettlebells in the gym but I hardly saw them get any use.

There is absolutely no way Sadulaev doesn't lift. You don't get that jacked with just body weight exercises.

He probably lifts some, but it's not unheard of to have huge muscles without using any weights.  According to Karelin he never lifted, and yes he's an abnormal physical freak but it could be argued so too is Sadulaev.  Also Herschel Walker almost never lifted during his football career and I think he said recently that he doesn't lift today despite his insane build (especially for his age).

Karelin lifted people every damn day, and we all know that people are just squirmy weights when it comes down to it.  Google a picture of what Herschel Walker looks like right now and tell me you believe that he only did pushups.  I'll wait.