2. Number of pins

3. Dominance

4. Past credentials

5. Quality of competition 

6. Sportsmanship/citizenship

7. Heart

1- I think both will finish undefeated

2- Advantage Stieber

3- Advantage Dieringer. Stiebers last 3 matches have all been closer than any of dieringers victories

4- Advantage Stieber, although Dieringer is also a returning national champ

5-7 Wash

So you may be correct. I didn't realize number of pins was a criteria. I thought it was only record, dominance and then past credentials.

The trophy is awarded based on seven criteria: 

1. Record

2. Number of pins

3. Dominance

4. Past credentials

5. Quality of competition 

6. Sportsmanship/citizenship

7. Heart

1- I think both will finish undefeated

2- Advantage Stieber

3- Advantage Dieringer. Stiebers last 3 matches have all been closer than any of dieringers victories

4- Advantage Stieber, although Dieringer is also a returning national champ

5-7 Wash

So you may be correct. I didn't realize number of pins was a criteria. I thought it was only record, dominance and then past credentials.

This assessment ignores the fact that there are degrees to consider for each criterion. For example, you say past credentials is simply "advantage Stieber" but in reality, a 3-timer going for his fourth (to join only 3 other guys ever) is not just an advantage over a 1x champ going for 2, but a massive advantage that practically assures Stieber of the Hodge even if they might appear to be a wash from a list of criteria. Stieber's advantage in number of pins is similarly substantial and will be more so by the end of the season.

If Stieber wins his 4th title, he is a lock for the Hodge. It'll be a 3-second meeting to decide it.

If Stieber wins his 4th title, he is a lock for the Hodge. It'll be a 3-second meeting to decide it.

Agree totally with that, regardless of how good anybody looks on the mat; that accomplishment will trump any and all other considerations.

Ohio fan here and huge fan of the Jordans, but I have to agree Dieringer until proven otherwise.  I am not counting out either Bo or Isaac, but either one winning would be considered an upset.

And Cyclone, this is when you just say, yes, I was wrong.

Edited by josefsmoe

Listing the criteria as if they are meaningful is a laugh. The committee has shown time and again that they choose whomever they feel like. We had a Hodge winner get pinned in one match and then get taken down multiple times in the NCAA finals. Pins matter, except when they don't. Cael shared the Hodge with a DIII guy who wasn't even undefeated.

I think Isaac will be the one to knock him off.  He's better equipped IMO to wrestle AD to a 1-1 or similar matchup and win in tie-breakers.  I don't think either of Bo or Isaac will have much offense against him, but I always like Isaac in a grind-it-out style matchup.  Have you seen the kid's overtime mat returns?

The beleaguered hodge award, given to whom ever the committee decides should get it, then they fit the mysteriously numbered criteria around to support their selection.   

At this point, does anyone really care who they select for that recognition?  

With that said, this year a guy who gets pinned and held there for 25 seconds wins the award over undefeated national champions whom others feel much more deserving .

I think Isaac will be the one to knock him off. He's better equipped IMO to wrestle AD to a 1-1 or similar matchup and win in tie-breakers. I don't think either of Bo or Isaac will have much offense against him, but I always like Isaac in a grind-it-out style matchup. Have you seen the kid's overtime mat returns?

I don't think Isaac takes out Dieringer, but his mat returns are legit. Same with a teammate Ryan Taylor. Almost Dake status.

Ohio fan here and huge fan of the Jordans, but I have to agree Dieringer until proven otherwise.  I am not counting out either Bo or Isaac, but either one winning would be considered an upset.

And Cyclone, this is when you just say, yes, I was wrong.

I was wrong.

Got a little carried away I suppose.

The beleaguered hodge award, given to whom ever the committee decides should get it, then they fit the mysteriously numbered criteria around to support their selection.   

At this point, does anyone really care who they select for that recognition?  

With that said, this year a guy who gets pinned and held there for 25 seconds wins the award over undefeated national champions whom others feel much more deserving .

Well, unlike past years at least this year its painfully obvious who gets it (of course barring some unseen circumstance).

I agree that the Hodge really doesnt hold that much esteem. Nothing remotely close to the Heisman or Butkus awards, but then again those awards have monetary implications on the pro level which wrestling doesnt have.

The Hodge is awesome ... some 'homer' fans have a problem with it because their chosen winner didn't win. This is no different than the Heisman or any other award that is given by vote. There are and will always be fans who disagree based on their own individual criteria. And sometimes the fans go too far and declare the award is somehow less valuable because they don't agree with it based on their perception of how it should be decided. Every year Heisman and Hodge trophy winners are targeted this same way. This is utter nonsense.

Winning the Hodge Trophy is an absolutely tremendous accomplishment.

It is one of the very top awards the wrestling community has to offer.

Let's not do the sport of wrestling a disservice by attempting to marginalize the importance of the Hodge award, or any other wrestling award for that matter. It is in our best interest to celebrate our champions. If we don't - how do we expect our future fans to?