Sign in to follow this  
OkieChippewa

Wrestlers taunting the opponent from the bench.

Discus is a field event in Track.  Besides, there are bench technicals in hoops and penalties assessed on the gridiron.  Should wrestling be exempt from such nonsense?

Postscript: The thread was started due to shenanigans at the recent ODU-CMU match, which made it to the official team web site, plus the student and community on-line newspapers.

Edited by OkieChippewa

Taunting is tricky.  Different people have different ideas about what constitutes taunting.  During the match I think there is no place for it.  However, before and after when done in a way that isn't offensive or vulgar, I believe it adds interest.  

I watched the event on my pc, so unfortunately didn't see/hear what happened.  Go to the sources I described above for the head coach's quotes and such.

Is it too much to ask you to just post a link to a source?

I have to say I am surprised by the coaches comments and don't really understand.  I was at the match, and noticed a CMU fan heckling the ODU team and then one of the ODU wrestlers pointed at him after he won, but that is all I really noticed in a pretty silent gym?   Can someone else explain what happened?  What student on line paper are you talking about?

Can someone else explain what happened?  What student on line paper are you talking about?

Precisely. If the Op has a bitch why not just be direct in the first place and just post a link. Frankly I don't really give a sh!t if he wants to be difficult.

Found it:     http://www.cm-life.com/article/2015/02/wrest-odu-cap

I have to say that Warner was on the very edge of the mat and threw is head gear straight up.  Dechow was awesome and the shove I have seen 100 times in matches this year alone.  The ODU coach was making some questionable comments.  He was caught up in the annoying crowd guy and should have known better.

Taunting is tricky.  Different people have different ideas about what constitutes taunting.  During the match I think there is no place for it.  However, before and after when done in a way that isn't offensive or vulgar, I believe it adds interest.  

Arguably the penalty is worse for taunting pre or post match (one team point deduction).

Of course, the above is based on the assumption that the ref would deem taunting as unsportsmanlike conduct. As you indicate, different people have different ideas about what constitutes taunting.

Precisely. If the Op has a bitch why not just be direct in the first place and just post a link. Frankly I don't really give a sh!t if he wants to be difficult.

Are you taunting or simply being uncivil?  The original post was meant to be an open question, but since you want more details, here you go:

http://www.themorningsun.com/sports/20150215/central-michigan-wrestling-falls-to-old-dominion-on-senior-day

Edited by OkieChippewa

(Read with French accent:)

"Ah don' wanna talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food-trough
wiper!  Ah fart in your general direction!  Your mother was a hamster, and

your father smelt of elderberries!"

Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!"

Edited by redblades

Are you taunting or simply being uncivil?  The original post was meant to be an open question, but since you want more details, here you go:

http://www.themorningsun.com/sports/20150215/central-michigan-wrestling-falls-to-old-dominion-on-senior-day

Call it a taunt or being uncivil, it doesn't matter to me.

According to post five the motive to the thread was to raise a bitch about behavior from ODU so no need to be coy about merely posting an innocent open question. If you got a bitch and an ax to grid just put it out there and post a link to support it. Don't expect us to go on some fishing expedition to figure out what the hell you're talking about. And by the way, your link still doesn't clearly explain what ODU did. What is it that they did that offend you?

Amazing question.

This is collegiate athletics, what's to discus?

In Little League baseball its called chatter.  As long as there are no familial insults, cuss words, racial, ethnic or sexist slurs I don't see a problem with it.

To be honest, it was a nothing, but the head coach for ODU got engaged with the crowd and acted pretty immature.  I would expect that from the kids once in a while but the head coach?  Many coaches have done MUCH worse.

In the article it states that it started when they got there, so there must be more to the story.

"pitchers got a rubber arm"

Call it a taunt or being uncivil, it doesn't matter to me.

According to post five the motive to the thread was to raise a bitch about behavior from ODU so no need to be coy about merely posting an innocent open question. If you got a bitch and an ax to grid just put it out there and post a link to support it. Don't expect us to go on some fishing expedition to figure out what the hell you're talking about. And by the way, your link still doesn't clearly explain what ODU did. What is it that they did that offend you?

I do not know what ODU did.   But I do know this is only the second time in over ten years I've heard Coach Borrelli gripe to the press following a meet.  That's what I know and I believe the coach when he says they've been "punked out".

Meanwhile, this thread clearly struck a nerve with you.  I can only assume (since you didn't say) that you're an ODU fan. 

Well, the rivalry's now on between Monarchs and the Chippewas and it began on February 15, 2015.    

I do not know what ODU did.   But I do know this is only the second time in over ten years I've heard Coach Borrelli gripe to the press following a meet.  That's what I know and I believe the coach when he says they've been "punked out".

Meanwhile, this thread clearly struck a nerve with you.  I can only assume (since you didn't say) that you're an ODU fan. 

Well, the rivalry's now on between Monarchs and the Chippewas and it began on February 15, 2015.    

OkieChippewa I know you are saying that the rivalry is now on, but seriously, I was at the match and if that is all it takes, then you must have a lot of rivals?

Wait a second?  Not even close to good?  They are ranked 19th and took 6th at Midlands.  In most sports ranked in the top 25 is considered pretty darn good.

Which brings up a very good point.  One of the reasons we struggle with people watching the sport is because we are the ones that love it the most and we make comments like this.  If only the teams that are top 3 are "good" then the sport can't grow.  We need to celebrate the 19th place teams as well and stop being so critical.

Your right though!

Edited by teach