Mayes(MO) over Rodriques(ILL) 5-3 MO 6-3

Houdashelt(MO) over Langenderfer(ILL) 12-2 MO 10-3

Martinez(ILL) over LaVallee(MO) 15-1 MO 10-7

Morse(ILL) over England(MO) 7-2 tied 10-10

Eblen(MO) over Brunson(ILL) 6-4 MO 13-10

Miklus(MO) over Reyes(ILL) 10-4 MO 16-10

Cox(MO) over Koepke(ILL) 15-0 MO 21-10

Black(ILL) over Mellon(MO) 3-2 MO 21-13

Lot of interesting battles that could go either way - I think Missouri wins but an upset is very possible!

If Delgado wrestles Illinois can win this dual.

125: Delgado dec. Waters Illini 3-0

133; Richards dec. Synon Illini 6-0

141: Rodrigues dec. Mayes Illini 9-0

149: Houdashelt Mdec. Langenderfer Illini 9-4

157: Martinez Tfall. LaValle Illini 14-4

165: Morse dec. England Illini 17-4

174: Eblan dec. Brunson Illini 17-7

184: Miklus dec. Reyes Illini 17-10

197: Cox Mdec. Koepke Illini 17-14

285: Mellon dec. Black 17-17

Illini win on criteria having scored the most points.

I have the Illini clearly favored at 133, 157 and 165.  I have Mizz clearly favored at 149, 184 and 197.  125, 141, 174 and 285 are basically toss ups(very slight favorites).  I gave 125 and 141 to the Illini and 174 and 285 to Mizz.  If both teams put out their full lineups this is a very evenly matched dual meet.

C'mon, MSU?  Mizzou is favored at 141, 174, and Hwt.  You call them very slight.  Ok.  You give the impressive freshman Martinez a tech over a returning r12 Lavallee, but Houdashelt only manages a major over Laydownanddieandfelter?  

If Delgado wrestles and...

If he manages to win and...

If Rodrigues pulls an upset and...

If Laydownanddieandfelter only gets majored and...

If Martinez actually techs Lavallee and...

If Morse holds serve and...

If Reyes and Koepke can avoid getting stuck then

Illinois could win this dual, absolutely.  That's a lot of ifs though.  Gonna be a great dual, for sure!

Here's my way too bold predictions for the weekend.

http://drivenwrestling.com/blog.html

Missouri is a very tough dual team.  Illinois will need to bring their best wrestling and I'd say the key will be if they can't get wins from Delgado & Brunson.  That won't guarantee a win, but probably don't have much chance without winning 125 & 174.

tigerfan,

First off, I gave Mizz 2 of the 3 matches you described. Still, I will answer you one by one.

Who has Mayes beat to be a clear favorite at 141?  He has a 5-4 win over Mecate, a 6-4 win over Freshman Geo Martinez and 2 wins over Heil.  Rodrigues has wrestled a considerably tougher schedule.  I don't have any issue calling that match a tossup.

Eblan has an even smaller sample size than Mayes does.  Brunson is no slouch.  If it wasn't for a crazy last second pin Brunson would be ranked much higher.  His only other losses are 2-1 to Evans, 5-3 to Kokesh and 7-3 to Storley.  Again very valid reasoning to call it a tossup.

Now Mellon I have no problem if you want to call it a clear favorite.  Still, it is 285 where matches are almost always very close.  But I did give Mellon the win regardless.

You typed "if" alot.  I only typed it once(actually 2x both about the ILLINI fielding a full lineup)..................

Delgado is a 2x defending champion.  Regardless of injury, he is still undefeated and should be given the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Rodrigues has been addressed above.

As tough as Houdashelt is he isn't exactly known for his high powered offense.  I would think a pin more likely than a Tfall.  I simply think Langenderfer is solid enough to avoid giving up big points for the team.  Also, Houdashelt is my pick to win 149, so believe me I am not looking to sell him short.

I am not a fan of Martinez but the guy is ridiculously offensive.  Add in that Lavallee hasn't exactly looked great recently, he did get majored by Chad Pyke, and a Tech Fall doesn't look that impossible to comprehend.

Morse will control every aspect of his match and could win by more than a regular decision.

Considering Reyes hasn't been pinned all season and has wrestled several highly rated wrestlers I think not getting pinned is a safe assumption.

Koepke- see above.

In the end I still call Missouri a slight favorite but I think the Illini match up VERY well with them and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they won!

Edited by MSU158

No. 2 #Mizzou wrestling will take on Illinois in the quarterfinals of national duals. Illinois calls MU “untested” 

www.illinoishomepage.net/story/d/story/no-7-illini-head-to-national-duals/38712/M2HxT09ucE2Fy8fr_mijKw

I posted that link to Johnny Eblen's fb page.

No. 2 #Mizzou wrestling will take on Illinois in the quarterfinals of national duals. Illinois calls MU “untested” 

Illinois' tested, flunked every one (0-4 vs top 12 teams), but tested.  Mizzou's 3-0 vs teams ranked #3, 5, and 6.  Brunson is clueless, but he does give MU some good bulletin board material.

Delgado or no Delgado, the outcome will be the same. Mizzou has too many horses for Illiinois. 

Regarding the big match, I could see Delgado winning if Waters respects him too much and wrestles on both knees, minimizing action to try to win it on the mat. That's the perfect type of strategy for an injured Delgado. If Waters pushes the pace and recognizes that Delgado is wrestling mainly not to lose while injured, I could see a whooping, especially if Delgado gets stuck on bottom and Waters starts to hammer away at the bad wing.

He opened up against Peters..hopefully he brings the same fire..the team is well aware of what Brunson had to say about them being untested

Yea I really don't get that statement...I mean he has to know who Mizz has wrestled this season. Odd