Sign in to follow this  
dutchcountry7

Yeah, duals couldn't work...

http://board.themat.com/index.php?/topic/8151-yeah-duals-couldnt-work/

Exciting matches!

Cornell over Minnesota.  Lehigh over Ohio State.  Mizzou over Illinois.  Even Chattanooga knocking off Gilman to start off the dual was cool to see.

Can't wait to see the Iowa and Cornell match on TV!

These big time duals are made for TV.  Really wish we had an NCAA dual championship on ESPN.  It would be such a big hit.  More exciting than the current finals on TV for sure!

Yeah, these duals were a lot of fun, and very intense at times. Iowa crowd was great too, especially with the fact that Iowa HS state tourney was taking place at the same time.

After watching these duals, I feel Rick's Rant carries even more weight now.

Just don't know the best weekend for this thing considering peaking for this and the big dance, weight cuts, travel, school schedules, etc, etc. And not sure how to factor this dual tourney into the national championship point wise, or keep it separate, or whatever.

Nonetheless, Iowa vs Missouri should be a blast tomorrow. (Somewhat related, the most recent Sesker's Slant was awesome, IMO.)

Edited by 2td3nf

Here is my problem with today... IF Iowa lost in round one, how many people would have been in the stands for the semi-finals? Yes, there were 7,000 people in the stands, but Iowa always puts that many people in Carver. Yes, the duals are exciting. Yes, there was great wrestling today. However, they need to find a way to get more people in the arena. 

2td3nf - regarding the balance of weekends and peaking for championships...

I prefer not to have a hybrid and just a dual team championship with an individual championship afterwards to crown individual champions and All-Americans. But even if it is a hybrid it doesn't change this...

I like the fact that it is hard to peak for two championship events. I think it does even more for the smaller programs. While the top teams will get exposure via their participation in the national dual championship you may have wrestlers at Cal Poly, Bloomsburg, Franklin & Marshall, Northern Colorado and other similar programs that peak at the individual championship and knock off some athletes from the teams that were featured on ESPN for the NCAA duals.

This just further helps to create parity and spread the accolades around.

It happens in a lot of other sports. The MAC, for instance, does surprisingly well at producing NFL quarterbacks and other skill players. Despite a lack of team success these programs take pride in individual successes and are able to parlay it into more talented recruits.

Right now the team and individual successes are basically one--both produced at just one event on one weekend, via the same results.

I like the idea of splitting team and individual successes. I think it allows more programs to find successes they can champion while also providing more exciting events for fans.

(Posted via mobile)

Pinnum, agree with your post, and I really don't have a strong opinion whether the duals should be factored into the individual championship, or separate, or whatever. What I did see today, was a lot of intense, prideful, NCAA team wrestling, and I strongly feel that this could turn into another huge NCAA wrestling event.

Now, implement the pushout/stepout rule, keep the wrestlers on the mat, with the clock ticking, and the NCAA will have an excellent TV product.

lots of empty seats there today - don't see too many of those in March. 

I go to the NCAAs every year, regardless, but wouldn't spend the dough to go watch Iowa/Missouri, as I don't care about either of those teams.

March isn't broke, so don't fix it.

Edited by WRfan1

Major networks don't care about seats being filled, they care about eyes on the TV. Anyone else ever been to the king money maker for collegiate sports--the March Madness basketball tournament? The seats are NOT filled. There are a lot of empty seats. Often as many as a quarter of all seats are empty for most games. The same is true of football bowl games. Attendance is poor for bowl games but they keep expanding the number of bowl games. Why? The answer is simple. They are valuable to the networks because people watch them! Most people would rather sit at home and be able to catch multiple games. I am confident there were a lot more people watching the duals via stream or TV today than were in attendance.

Attendance has largely become an antiquated metric for broadcast events.

Anyone who has ever watch the Winter X-Games has noticed that there is very little attendance (mainly friends and family) despite it being on national television. The last few years the Progressive Skating and Gymnastics Spectacular has been held at the 1,900 seat Jamestown Savings Bank arena. I believe it is the smallest championship quality ice skating/hockey venue in the country. Despite not being a well attended event, it is broadcast nationally on ABC and was watched by 1.3MM people which is more than double the viewership of the NCAA Wrestling Championship. The last two years I have watched it for about 30 minutes each year. I probably would never attend it but I watch it because it is on and I find it interesting.

Wrestling is one of the most popular sports for participation. We have a large base of people that participate or understand the sport. We need to stop thinking about how to get them to come to events and start thinking about how to get them to follow the sport. Once that happens, it will be much easier to get them to attend events.

Pinnum,

You really believe having the top individuals break down their bodies and risk injury to allow lesser wrestlers improve their chances of placing ahead of the best wrestlers in the nation is good for the sport?????

GET A GRIP AND THINK BEFORE YOU UTTER COMPLETE NONSENSE!!

Edited by BDB50

Pinnum,

You really believe having the top individuals break down their bodies and risk injury to allow lesser wrestlers improve their chances of placing ahead of the best wrestlers in the nation is good for the sport?????

GET A GRIP AND THINK BEFORE YOU UTTER COMPLETE NONSENSE!!

Top athletes don't need 30 or 50 matches a season. If you think they are wrestling too much, you change the schedule as a coach to do what is best for your athletes

I am not sure why trying to win a National Team Championship or Individual Championship is so risky to an athlete's health but events like the Midlands, Scuffle, Las Vegas, NWCA National Duals, or any other big non-conference contest is not risky. It kind of seems like people think recruits shouldn't go to the Big Ten because they will have too many matches against top competition and be risking injury before the NCAA Championships.

I don't know why people keep thinking that this would happen within the same framework of our sport. It isn't like we would be adding additional matches, we would be restructuring and coaches would make appropriate changes to best ensure their athletes are taken care of.

What I watched today is way to similar to TOURNAMENT wrestling...It was nice of the BTN to broadcast the Iowa match...Mr. Pinnium attendance does matter and the Iowa/PSU match @ BJC was off the charts in viewership as well...What did the NWCA Duals have for a crowd last year...CHA made the difference!!!

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!

What I watched today is way to similar to TOURNAMENT wrestling...It was nice of the BTN to broadcast the Iowa match...Mr. Pinnium attendance does matter and the Iowa/PSU match @ BJC was off the charts in viewership as well...What did the NWCA Duals have for a crowd last year...CHA made the difference!!!

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!

PSU put on a nice presentation in their marketing of the dual. I enjoy their matches at BJC. I am a big fan of the idea od only doing one match a year at BJC. I know many people want them to do more but I think it is great to keep one big match like that and keep packing out Rec Hall.

Do you know when BJC is going to host the Big Ten Championships?

Obviously an event is hurt by some of the best programs with large fan bases not attending. If one or more top teams were sanctioned right now (or voluntarily imposed a post season ban like Syracuse basketball recently did) I have no doubt it would have an impact on the NCAAs. It is true that we only have a few mature fan bases.

However, I believe a few programs are making great strides in building their fan base and I believe duals are a catalyst for that growth. I can't wait to see the turnout for the PSU dual against the Hokies next year in Blacksburg after that great dual this year. It will be a tough one for the Hokies with all the firepower your beloved boys will be bringing.

Attendance would still matter to the NCAA, as it is not getting paid enough to offset thousands of empty seats over a 2-3 day period, and the TV money isn't enough.  There is not a network ready to ink a deal for millions in broadcast rights for college wrestling duals - BB March Madness doesn't need one person in the stands for the NCAA to make bank, the TV contract is worth millions

Edited by WRfan1

Attendance would still matter to the NCAA, as it is not getting paid enough to offset thousands of empty seats over a 2-3 day period, and the TV money isn't enough.  There is not a network ready to ink a deal for millions in broadcast rights for college wrestling duals - BB March Madness doesn't need one person in the stands for the NCAA to make bank, the TV contract is worth millions

Depends on the format used and the venues used. Most sports utilize on campus venues to cut expenses, but I understand your point.

Great national duals... Lots of exciting matches and I'm enjoying all of them on BTN2go.

I'm glad they were a success. If it keeps up then being national duals champion will matter on its own and we won't need to try and take traditional team component out of the NCAA's.

Great national duals... Lots of exciting matches and I'm enjoying all of them on BTN2go.

I'm glad they were a success. If it keeps up then being national duals champion will matter on its own and we won't need to try and take traditional team component out of the NCAA's.

Husky, 4 of the 6 matches so far have been blowouts. Agree with your other point entirely. 

..I just went to ESPN's website and see no coverage (at all) of our beloved National Duals.  

..they do have coverage of cricket, India vs South Africa (on the main page)

..why can't wrestling get any national coverage from the media outlets, specifically ESPN? 

Edited by cjc007

..I just went to ESPN's website and see no coverage (at all) of our beloved National Duals.  

..why can't wrestling get any national coverage from the media outlets, specifically ESPN? 

Maybe because BTN has the exclusive rights to this one?

redblades, I think that was a reference to any coverage...articles, for instance. Where's Tim Foley when you need him? Hong Kong? Sao Paulo? Tehran?

..where's our savior ESPN in this time of need? 

..I guess they don't care about National Duals as much as cricket! 

..not even a summary article? 

..but duals will save wrestling, right? 

..where's our savior ESPN in this time of need? 

waiting for wrestling to include a dual meet tournament so they can expand their coverage since they have the rights broadcast all NCAA championships outside of D1 football and basketball.

..I guess they don't care about National Duals as much as cricket! 

also softball, car racing, bass fishing, lacrosse and texas hold em. 

..not even a summary article? 

there wasn't one for the southern scuffle or literally any other wrestling competition. 

..but duals will save wrestling, right? 

they have a chance to stop the bleeding anyway.