Sign in to follow this  
tommygun

Team with the most injuries

Minnesota has a strong team. What's interesting is if Nick Dardanes doesn't get pinned he likely would have won by a decision over Feikert changing the outcome of the dual with Minnie winning 18-16 despite having two of their starters, Ness (149) and Storley (174) out of the lineup.

Minnesota has a strong team. What's interesting is if Nick Dardanes doesn't get pinned he likely would have won by a decision over Feikert changing the outcome of the dual with Minnie winning 18-16 despite having two of their starters, Ness (149) and Storley (174) out of the lineup.

Three starters - Thorn didn't wrestle either.

Not to paint this with a broad brush, but I think Minny tends to cut weight and freeze wrestlers at weights too much. I am seeing that guys tend to struggle less with injury when they move upward through their careers. The same seems to be playing out to a degree with Iowa as well.

I realize OSU is probably a little worse with respect to weight assignments, and seem to struggle just a little less with injury.

If I had to guess from the outside looking in, Minny probably emphasizes the weight room more, so strength/conditioning, isn't the end all to preventative procedure.

Luck probably factors mostly into all of this. Minny has had a rough streak for quite a while, and Iowa has been struggling with it since the last team champion team.

How often do teams have live wrestling during practice? I would imagine those that go liveboften would have more injuries. I am particularly interested in teams like Iowa, they seem to not have a lot of guys out of the line up for a very physical team. How often do they go live?

Not to paint this with a broad brush, but I think Minny tends to cut weight and freeze wrestlers at weights too much. I am seeing that guys tend to struggle less with injury when they move upward through their careers. The same seems to be playing out to a degree with Iowa as well.

I realize OSU is probably a little worse with respect to weight assignments, and seem to struggle just a little less with injury.

If I had to guess from the outside looking in, Minny probably emphasizes the weight room more, so strength/conditioning, isn't the end all to preventative procedure.

Luck probably factors mostly into all of this. Minny has had a rough streak for quite a while, and Iowa has been struggling with it since the last team champion team.

I have to disagree...I think Minny is fairly typical with the weight cutting. Yes, Thorn, Ness, and Yohn are exceptions...this year. Minny is not remotely in the same league for weight cutting as Okie St (and a few others). Good examples of not cutting too much weight are Storley and Steinhaus...they "could" make the cut to 165/174 but have chosen not to (with J's blessing, of course). Another good example is Damian Hahn...he bumped up to 197 after struggling to make 184...and won a national championship. Ness has the option to wrestle 149 or 157. Yohn and Thorn are cutting to start.