Sign in to follow this  
cornercoach

TIGER v. HAWK

Didn't see Palacio/Brooks. Someone get me a .gif

It was not Brooks, it was Alex Meyer who did it yesterday to Palacio. I am not sure who blocked Waters today but I was glad Waters bumped him out of the way. And Iowa and their staff encourage this behavior? Truly pathetic.

And the refs are complete homers, they tried to give that match to Gilman at the end. Gilman is a a complete thug and a crybaby.

One of the announcers (not sure which) just tried to clear up the point to Gilman: When it was 4-1 they called a slam against Gilman (5-1 Waters) and then un-sportmanlike on Waters for some reason I still don't get having to do with using the back of his head. 

They tried to say he used Gilman's head to get up (or something like that)........the exact same thing Clark did at the end of his match and not get called

Edited by fudge_tunnel

The Clark/Synon match was quite the end. Synon flat on his stomach stalling. Clark more or less gives up trying to turn him and instead squashes his face into the mat by placing both hands on the back of his head and pushing straight down like he is pushing on a bicycle pump or something... fortunately they didn't think to call unsportsmanlike.

Watched the whole match. The Tigers were the better team. The Iowa team is very reliant on stalling calls and the crowd working the refs. At one point during the 149 pound match the Missouri bench started mocking the way Iowa kept screaming for stalling calls, shouting "stalling!, stalling!". Some of the stalling calls like the one against Cox I didn't get. When the Iowa wrestlers backed up you didn't see the same result. The style seems to be to manipulate the rules, to push forward without making any committed offensive moves and try to draw a stalling call. I actually liked Evans. He has a clever countering style. 

Check out Ben Askren's twitter feed (https://twitter.com/benaskren).  He's got some real gems in it, such as:

Call stalling some more, that is the only way Iowa can score points!

Just thought about it and realized @lavionjavier had more takedowns than the whole @Hawks_Wrestling team!

What Gilman did (the slam) was illegal and he was penalized for it, appropriately. But the Iowa haters want to tee off on Gilman while ignoring what Waters did. Consider the sequence of events.

1 AFTER the 2nd period ends, and well before Gilman's slam, Waters pushes down on the back of Gilman's head. That cheap shot preceded everything. Gilman got pissed and pushed Waters away. The ref said to Waters, "quit pushing on the back of the head."

2. In OT, Gilman does his slam, and the ref stops the action. As they are separating, Waters hits Gilman with his elbow to the head. Gilman gets upset and a scrum ensues.

3. After the match is over, Waters intentionally runs into an Iowa wrestler, nearly knocking him over.

Let's be a little more fair and balanced... Waters was no angel.