Sign in to follow this  
stp

The Iowa way

I am serious.  The acts I listed have singular INTENT.  This was a 125lber jumping less than 6 inches backwards onto a padded mat with another 125lber on his back.  I just don't see it as some over the top attempt to injure some one.  You obviously do.  You are entitled to your opinion.  I see it as illegal.  He was penalized in kind.

Your Honor, it is true that my client pointed the gun and fired at the intended victim, however since he missed, the defendant should be found not guilty, after all, no harm, no foul. I rest my case, respectfully, Vak Esq.

Just proving my point. Whether the bullet hits or not (ie the result) has a dramatic effect in what can happen to you. However, there is more than one perfectly reasonable,explanation.

For what it's worth, I have no horse in the race, and I didn't see any intent to injure. I think Gilman was just desperate to get Waters off his back and was improvising on the spot. He got a little over aggressive and tried something that resulted in a slam. Nothing more, nothing less.

^^^see. This is perfectly reasonable, and doesn't involve any intent to injure. As a fellow attorney, Flying-Tiger, you understand the difference between intent and recklessness. Edited by VakAttack

Apparently, you are not aware of the rules.  This exact same thing Chris Fleeger did to Reiter (I think it was) several years ago.  It is only a DQ if Waters is not able to continue.  Know the rules BEFORE declaring what is suppose to be.

Yes, I am an Iowa fan and yes Gilman deserved the penalty point against him.  Also, Waters recieved the penalty point against him for using Gilman's head as a crutch to get up.  Both were appropiate and neither was acceptable.  Deal with it.

This should be clarified, it was what Reiter did to Fleeger and it certainly was NOT the exact same thing.

Commenting on my alleged "arrogance" isn't personal?

And BTW, what about this alternative explanation (given by another poster, not me) was unreasonable?

For what it's worth, I have no horse in the race, and I didn't see any intent to injure. I think Gilman was just desperate to get Waters off his back and was improvising on the spot. He got a little over aggressive and tried something that resulted in a slam. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Edited by VakAttack

I honestly can't believe there are 8 pages where most are calling for Gilman's head.  There are so many illegal moves/actions that happen in wrestling that are considerably worse than this.  Biting, Oil checks, 5 on 1, kneeing, elbowing, punching, head butting, attacks out of bounds, etc. Many of which often don't even get a penalty point, let alone DQ the offending wrestler.  ALL of these acts would most likely result in greater injury than semi jumping backwards with someone draped on your back.  It's not like he knew there was a bed of spikes behind Waters and jumping backwards would impale him and end with almost certain death.  He jumped (all of maybe 6 inches) and used his CONSIDERABLE weight(maybe 130lbs) to feverishly drive him backwards onto a PADDED mat.  Other parts of the match may not have been called correctly, but this part was.  As Cris Carter and Keyshawn Johnson would say, "C'mon Man!"

Still trying to get back in the good graces of the Iowa board?

Honestly, I couldn't care less.  There are some on there that would want to attack me if I said the sky was less blue in Iowa than it was in Michigan.  I say what I think.  No more, no less.

Edited by MSU158

Also, it appears it WAS NOT called correctly.  According to Shane Sparks, the slam was called on Waters with an unsportsmanlike called on Gilman for activity after the whistle.  I assumed it was the opposite.  Still, a penalty point was all I believe was warranted.

Pretty much par for the course these days in Iowa City.   It wasn't long ago in the NCAA final when an Iowa wrestler, thoroughly frustrated and dominated in the final, raced across the wrestling area, and attempted to throw the victor off the elevated mat, while he celebrated a thorough beating of his favored opponent.   

Outbursts of immaturity and frustration have become all too common under the Brands regime and unless something is actually done about it, we may have to learn to simply accept it and live with it.   As evidenced here, the Iowa fan base has no issue what so ever with the behavior and in most cases even defend it.   

At Pennsylvania States yesterday a kid was losing and threw a punch at his opponent, then refused to shake the victor's hand. The official ejected him from the meet on the spot. That, not appeasement, is how you get behavior modification. That kid's team mates will think twice about mimicking his antics. 

Edited by TBar1977

I think over reaction to the Hawks is pretty commonplace.

If they throw punches then chuck them.

Otherwise their antics are good for drumming up attention to the sport, it is this kind of thing that draws the non traditional wrestling fans.

Whether you boo or cheer them, you watch them.

It wasn't long ago in the NCAA final when an Iowa wrestler, thoroughly frustrated and dominated in the final, raced across the wrestling area, and attempted to throw the victor off the elevated mat, while he celebrated a thorough beating of his favored opponent.   

In the interest of accuracy it should probably be mentioned that both the attempted throw and the said celebration occurred before the match was over, with some 10 seconds left on the match clock, not after the final whistle. Attempts to throw one's opponent during a wrestling match are not completely unheard of...

Edited by judaspriest

In the interest of accuracy it should probably be mentioned that both the attempted throw and the said celebration occurred before the match was over, with some 10 seconds left on the match clock, not after the final whistle. Attempts to throw one's opponent during a wrestling match are not completely unheard of...

Hmmmm.....

I have an interest in accuracy as well...

0 seconds left:

X2NAPLZ.jpg

Still 0:

m5ctOCz.jpg

Edited by BigRedMachine

Now that was a beautiful response.  Are those crickets I hear?  

Iowa is quickly becoming a rogue program under Brands.  I'm hoping the NCAA steps in since Iowa has not shown the courage.  

It should be more funny next year when PSU puts all their guys on the mat and Cornell is fully stocked.  The tempers will be flaring in Munchkinland. 

"Some" 10 seconds. Ish.

Iowa apologist Rossel3 makes a similar claim - i.e., that Caldwell was sprinting away from Metcalf during the last 10 seconds of the match.  Actually, Metcalf was in control until he cut Caldwell after a restart with 5 seconds remaining.  Then Metcalf walked casually after Caldwell, until Darrion started to sprint away to celebrate with only a second or two on the clock.  Metcalf began his chase then, but time expired while they were still in the center of the mat (and prior to the shove).  One can even see the ref reaching out his left arm and trying to stop Metcalf from pursuing Caldwell.

temp-320-60161878_medium.gif

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

Metcalf started chasing him while here was time on the clock.  He caught up with him after the clock.  Geez, we're going to start referencing incidents from 2009 now?

If Iowa fans want to claim all their guys wrestled with class, then this looks a rebuttal to that notion.