Sign in to follow this  
stp

The Iowa way

Maybe National duals isn't the way to promote our sport.   I for one loved it and thought the no DQ call on Gilman was appropriate.   I like seeing the Iowa antics year in and year out, but perhaps they shouldn't be given this stage where they seem to cause more harm than good for the sport?  Again, personally I loved it.   But I see I am in the minority in all of this.   

Maybe National duals isn't the way to promote our sport. I for one loved it and thought the no DQ call on Gilman was appropriate. I like seeing the Iowa antics year in and year out, but perhaps they shouldn't be given this stage where they seem to cause more harm than good for the sport? Again, personally I loved it. But I see I am in the minority in all of this.

Exactly what harm did Iowa cause? If you think casual fans are turning into BTN to watch their first ever wrestling match during the national duals and then were turned away by the Iowa team then I have a bridge in Alaska I would love to sell you.

Exactly what harm did Iowa cause? If you think casual fans are turning into BTN to watch their first ever wrestling match during the national duals and then were turned away by the Iowa team then I have a bridge in Alaska I would love to sell you.

Where is the bridge, and how much? You better be prepared to sell

Does Mizzou have a wrestling board?

Doubt it. The only fans that traveled to the meet were parents of wrestlers. Also wow does J'Den Cox's dad hate Iowa. He was yelling about the Iowa matches more than the Missouri matches yesterday and Willie Milkus' dad even came over to an Iowa fan to apologize about his antics today.

I would put Gilman's "slam" as every bit as bush league as Billy George's knee to the head of Nate Brown during the conference championships a few years ago!  I think of an illegal slam as something other than an intentional attempt to harm the opponent because your getting it handed to you.

I could easily agree with Gilman being punished harshly by the BIG or NCAA.  What he did could easily prevented Waters from post season action.  To say this whole episode was an embarrasment on so many levels is mild.

Doubt it. The only fans that traveled to the meet were parents of wrestlers. Also wow does J'Den Cox's dad hate Iowa. He was yelling about the Iowa matches more than the Missouri matches yesterday and Willie Milkus' dad even came over to an Iowa fan to apologize about his antics today.

They have two, actually.

www.showmewrestling.com

www.missouriwrestling.com

The Missouri State High School tournament was this weekend, which is probably why a lot of the Missouri fans didn't make the trip.  It was also on TV, so no need to pay the travel expenses.

Serious question.  How is that not an immediate DQ?  Purposeful.   Then, after the match is clearly stopped, he Gilman relaxes, Waters disconnects, Gilman attacks Waters.  Clearly no restart.

How is that not more severely penalized?  

Apparently, you are not aware of the rules.  This exact same thing Chris Fleeger did to Reiter (I think it was) several years ago.  It is only a DQ if Waters is not able to continue.  Know the rules BEFORE declaring what is suppose to be.

Yes, I am an Iowa fan and yes Gilman deserved the penalty point against him.  Also, Waters recieved the penalty point against him for using Gilman's head as a crutch to get up.  Both were appropiate and neither was acceptable.  Deal with it.

Apparently, you are not aware of the rules.  This exact same thing Chris Fleeger did to Reiter (I think it was) several years ago.  It is only a DQ if Waters is not able to continue.  Know the rules BEFORE declaring what is suppose to be.

Yes, I am an Iowa fan and yes Gilman deserved the penalty point against him.  Also, Waters recieved the penalty point against him for using Gilman's head as a crutch to get up.  Both were appropiate and neither was acceptable.  Deal with it.

The rules as you state are going to get someone hurt.  Anything that makes what Gilman did okay, is NOT okay.  He intentionally tried to hurt his opponent, plain and simple.  He, Brands and anyone defending those actions should be taught a lesson...which I would hope includes Gilman missing the Big 10's and in turn the NCAA tournament, ending Iowa's chances at an NCAA team title.  That may be harsh, but Waters could have also sustained a life long injury because Gilman "got a little out of hand".

I'm not going to generalize all Iowa fans, but the majority of you need to understand that acting like a thug is not the same as being a tough wrestler.  When these guys graduate college, that sh*t won't fly in the real world...they'll end up in prison if they can't control their tempers and think this type of act is okay.