Sign in to follow this  
Brutus81

Questioning the decision to hold the National Duals in IA City

I don't know when this event was scheduled, but the Hawkeyes being what they are this year, I'm questioning the decision to hold the event in Iowa City.

Ref. appears to me to be overly influenced by the crowd.

Crowd seems to be exacerbating the bad blood between any teams competing against the Hawkeyes, first Cornell and now Mizzou, (which are both class programs, undeniably), and not in a positive way.

Making for an ugly spectacle that does not advance the interests of wrestling.

If Cael is taking a moment to think about it, pretty sure he's convinced he made the right decision to stay away.

Whatever. You said the arena was half empty, I know it holds over 15,000, so that was what I was basing the 7,000 on.

I'll be more precise. Half the sections have some people in them. The other half are 99% empty. The half with people in them are nowhere close to being full. End result is maybe, maybe, 1/3 to 2/5ths full. 

Edited by TBar1977

6,846 was the attendance for today.

I am guessing like most venues that is "paid" numbers, as opposed to fans in the seats. And scribe, I bring this up to counter the argument that we should settle the NCAA Championship through a duals format. They were in Iowa today, so where were all the people? Back home in Minnesota, Ohio and New York, that is where. 

Trust me, I wouldn't bring this up if people were not trying to mess with The Tournament. 

Edited by TBar1977

i thought that part of the reason for iowa hosting was that the iowa fans would would help fill the house. 

would a more central locale be better, like maybe kc?

...or a central location based upon which teams commit to attend the national duals?

i thought that part of the reason for iowa hosting was that the iowa fans would would help fill the house. 

would a more central locale be better, like maybe kc?

...or a central location based upon which teams commit to attend the national duals?

Nope. Because the teams that lose early their fans who already own the tickets will go home.  There are not going to be several thousand fans of the remaining teams making a sudden market for those fans of the losing teams to sell to on the way out the door. That issue can't be overcome.

Edited by TBar1977

If it were an NCAA event there wouldn't be pre-sale tickets to the teams in attendance until they are announced. For instance, Illinois fans wouldn't have tickets to day two because they didn't advance. This is how the NCAA operates advancement tournaments. You're confused if you think the current wrestling format of ticket sales would be used. That is not the method that they are used. Tickets are managed through the individual school ticket offices and when you purchase your ticket you have the option to purchase the following round only if they advance. The general admission tickets are only a fraction of the tickets to NCAA events. However, in wrestling we only have general admission tickets (all session).

Attendance wasn't poor. You have to remember that this was a 16 team invitational. While it did include the undisputed top two dual teams, it was not a true national championship. It is more fair to equate it to the Southern Scuffle or the Midlands than it is the NCAA Championship. While this was an exciting event it holds no where the weight that an NCAA dual team championship would. This is not a proxy for an NCAA sanctioned event. I am sure this NWCA event was a success. TV and video streaming was probably strong and I would venture to guess that despite the Iowa high school championships preventing a lot of wrestling fans from being able to attend, the attendance still rivals that of the Penn State dual and a full Rec Hall today.

Thanks to all those that made the event possible! It was a great event to follow. Congrats to Coach Smith, the Mizzou Tigers, and everyone in the Show Me State for having the best dual team in the country and claiming the regular season national title.

(Mobile)

Nope. Because the teams that lose early their fans who already own the tickets will go home.  There are not going to be several thousand fans of the remaining teams making a sudden market for those fans of the losing teams to sell to on the way out the door. That issue can't be overcome.

so what is the best way to fix this situation? 

i live 150 miles from Stillwater, Oklahoma and still drive to most duals. i know of a fan that drives over 250 miles to attend all OSU duals.

i have driven to iowa city (over 700 miles) to attend a dual against the hawkeyes.  there are some iowa fans that have done something like that also.

should there be more regional locales and then focus on sites that host the winners?

so what is the best way to fix this situation? 

As for duals vs. tournaments, it isn't broken so it needs not be "fixed". As for the sport in general, fix stalling and reward aggression that leads to bonus points. Those two are not exactly one in the same, but we have to reward real action with the intent of scoring. This whole push guys out of bounds and scream for stalling nonsense should not be rewarded.