southend

MAC takes out BIG 10

Interestingly, MAC members Ohio, Kent State, Central Michigan, and Northern Illinois all put up at least as many points against Missouri as Iowa did.

Great event with some exciting duals.

Congrats to Mizzou on having the best teams this regular season.

The Tiger coach and his staff have really raised the bar, as far as taking a non traditional power wrestling school, and year after year improving their national profile.  I think everyone has to take notice what Smith is doing at Missouri. This should be more of a focus, than beating Iowa.

So it begins.   Now that Mizzou has won a duals national championship (polls and on the mat), they aren't representative of the MAC.  Maybe they have Power 5 facilities in the major sports, but how much better are their wrestling facilities vesus teams such as Northern Iowa, Central Michigan, Ohio & Kent State? 

Many MAC fans are glad to have the Tigers wrestling in our conference.  It adds prestiege and along with UNI and ODU raises the stature of the league.   Some of our fans aren't so happy, mainly because of the indignant manner some (not all) Mizzou fans behave toward fellow conference members.  For the record MU did not rest half of its starters in their MAC duals.  It was two to three.  In several match-ups Mizzou's opponent also rested starters.  For instance, Mikey England didn't face CMU's Jordan Wohlfert in the dual, but lost to the Chippewa a couple weeks ago in the Edinboro Open.

Another fallacy is the notion of Mizzou's record is mainly to do to being in an "inferior" MAC.  Hello?  The Tigers are undefeated and just won the National Duals.  Additionally, this is the first year they won the conference regular season in the league. Northern Iowa won last year and the year before Central Michigan defeated Mizzou (in non-conference) while going undefeated in league play.   Not to mention Mizzou won the Big 12 tourney championship in their final year.  There are no chumps in that league.  And lest you forget, it wasn't too many years ago CMU finished number two in the national duals polls.

Top to bottom, the MAC is arguably the second best league in the country, although in some years it may be interchangeable with the EIWA and the ACC.  That is all.

Edited by OkieChippewa

Top to bottom, the MAC is arguably the second best league in the country, although in some years it may be interchangeable with the EIWA and the ACC.

I would have to agree with this.  Here's a thought along those lines, though - I would love to see a MAC vs EIWA Dual challange, similar to what the Big 10 and ACC used to do (or do they still?) in B-ball.  Wouldn't need to take a lot of schedule time- just one weekend, 1 vs. 1, 2 vs 2, etc.,

Mizzou sat 4 starters against Eastern Michigan, Buffalo, and Ohio, and sat 3 vs Northern Illinois, Kent St., and Old Dominion.  The only MAC dual they started their entire lineup was vs UNI, which they won 33-6.

Mizzou sat 4 starters against Eastern Michigan, Buffalo, and Ohio, and sat 3 vs Northern Illinois, Kent St., and Old Dominion.  The only MAC dual they started their entire lineup was vs UNI, which they won 33-6.

You know, KCMO2  I think some of the MAC people are just proud of the fact that a MAC team won the national duals and want to in a small way jump on that band wagon.....  But apparently you can't be happy about that?    And for the record, being ineligible and "sitting out" are not the same thing!

I wouldn't say Mizzou sat 3 starters at ODU in November ... the weight shift wasn't until 6 weeks later, so Johnston was in at 165 and Manley (the returning starter and NCAA qualifier) was in at 133 and Mellon was ineligible.

So yes, three current starters didn't wrestle but the lineup Nov 23/24 could not have been due to "sitting" ... that's what Mizzou had to put on the mat at the start of the season.

You know, KCMO2  I think some of the MAC people are just proud of the fact that a MAC team won the national duals and want to in a small way jump on that band wagon.....  But apparently you can't be happy about that?    And for the record, being ineligible and "sitting out" are not the same thing!

I could care less if people want to jump on the Mizzou bandwagon now.  A previous poster made the comment that alot of the MAC teams scored as many pts. vs Mizzou as Iowa did, and I pointed out that Mizzou did not wrestle numerous guys in those matches (for whatever reason).  Thus, you can't compare Iowa's score vs Mizzou's current team to those other schools.

Not sure why Mizzou fans are so defensive... It is irrelevant the reason. The fact remains that those teams put up as many points in the duals as did Iowa. (Which is great for the MAC community.)

I never have understood the argument that we could have had a better lineup but didn't... I have the same issue with people citing redshirting as the reason they didn't win as well as health or discipline issues. Wrestling puts so many asterisks on results it is baffling.

Duals are about team performance. The team you send out is your team.

Congrats to Mizzou on the many years of hard work to get to this championship. You earned it!

(Mobile)

I could care less if people want to jump on the Mizzou bandwagon now.  A previous poster made the comment that alot of the MAC teams scored as many pts. vs Mizzou as Iowa did, and I pointed out that Mizzou did not wrestle numerous guys in those matches (for whatever reason).  Thus, you can't compare Iowa's score vs Mizzou's current team to those other schools.

Regarding the poster's use of the word "interestingly" when comparing MZ/IA versus MZ/MAC teams, I interpreted it to be a factoid.  Nothing more and nothing less. 

Your "could care less" statement, however, implies you personally have disdain for the MAC, a non Power 5 league.  You have revealed your stripes.

But this is wrestling, not one of the two big sports.  League affiliations have less meaning in the others.  Take college hockey, for instance.  Which of the following conferences, whose geographic extent overlaps, would you rather be in: the Big Ten, NCHC, or WCHA?  Before you answer, realize despite all of those games shown on the B1G Network, the NCHC currently has four teams in the top eight (#1 North Dakota, #5 Nebraska-Omaha, #6 Miami (O), and #7 Minnesota Duluth).  The WCHA has three in the top eight (#2 Minnesota State, #4 Michigan Tech, and #8 Bowling Green).  The Big Ten weighs in with #15 Michigan and #17 Minnesota.  This is with only a couple of weeks to go in the regular season. 

Regarding factoids, here are a couple of more.  Mizzou has recruited three years worth of wrestlers who knew they would be competing in the MAC.  Doesn't seem to have hurt Coach Smith on the recruiting trail, has it?  Speaking of Coach Smith, once the Big XII office gave his team the cold shoulder, he led the charge to join the MAC and is quite respective of the league. 

Now if I've misconstrued your negative opinion of being a conference member, let us all know.  If not, maybe you need to have a conservation with Coach Smith on where the Tigers should move if the Mizzou/MAC affiliation is not renewed in the coming years.

Edited by OkieChippewa

Wow, I didn't realize you are that closely affiliated to the team, coach?  wrestler? cause otherwise you are totally missing the fact that myself and others are really happy for you and congratulate you.  Sorry for offending your honor, you and the team you are (apparently) part of are the best!  I mean that.

Wow, thanks for the psychoanalysis.  You've determined my opinion of the MAC based on my post that just states facts, and apparently I must be anti-MAC because of it?  Fact of the matter, I'm pretty indifferent about the MAC.  I'm glad that they extended an invitation when we had no other conference to go to, but beyond that I have no strong opinion one way or the other.

Edited by KCMO2

Wow, thanks for the psychoanalysis.  You've determined my opinion of the MAC based on my post that just states facts, and apparently I must be anti-MAC because of it?  Fact of the matter, I'm pretty indifferent about the MAC.  I'm glad that they extended an invitation when we had no other conference to go to, but beyond that I have no strong opinion one way or the other.

Puhlease!  Mizzou had several offers on the table, and chose the MAC for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is they are a ever-increasingly competitive conference.  Let's not re-write history and imply that Mizzou was a lonely orphan that the MAC took in out the kindness of their hearts.  We were the Big12 Champs.  Damn near every conference wanted us.

Puhlease!  Mizzou had several offers on the table, and chose the MAC for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is they are a ever-increasingly competitive conference.  Let's not re-write history and imply that Mizzou was a lonely orphan that the MAC took in out the kindness of their hearts.  We were the Big12 Champs.  Damn near every conference wanted us.

Well, the B10 didn't.  Where else would we have gone....the Western Regional?  The SoCon?  Yikes...