nom

Flagrant Misconduct

I love the attempt at changing the topic to the little forearm to the back of the head.

The slam is the only thing that should be discussed.  It was very bad and extremely unsportsmanlike.  Extremely isn't an extreme enough word to describe it.

I love the attempt at changing the topic to the little forearm to the back of the head.

The slam is the only thing that should be discussed.  It was very bad and extremely unsportsmanlike.  Extremely isn't an extreme enough word to describe it.

Actually trying to understand why Gilman got a point in the exchange is part of this topic.

I don't really care what anyone says. I care about what the rulebook says. The rulebook clearly states that a move executed with intent to injure (it even leaves room for referee discretion with the language "or any act serious enough....") leads to DQ. The rulebook does not say that a move executed with intent to injure leads to a DQ if and only if the opponent leaves the mat on a stretcher.... 

The outcome of the move is immaterial. It is the move itself that should result in DQ.

Again, I'm all for a little rough play. Wrestling is not bowling. But because wrestling is a tough sport, these types of illegal moves that can seriously injure the head have to have stiff penalties.

I've been very vocal today about not feeling this should have been a DQ.   I am open minded, however, and your argument has shown me the light.   Well done M.r Nerd, I agree with your point.   Gilman should have been DQ'd and his season should be over.   It doesn't change I loved what I saw out there by both squads, but in the interest of fair play and upholding the rules, that should have been called a DQ and hopefully sanctions come down next week.   Sadly. Brands has to be taught a lesson and his leash needs shortened before Iowa completely ruins wrestling.   

Good to know that now costs you a point in Carver.

One wonders, if Gilman had let that head push slide, if the asst. ref would have also let it slide (and not dinged Waters).

EDIT. Then again, Waters had been warned already for pushing on the head.

Edited by LkwdSteve

I've been very vocal today about not feeling this should have been a DQ.   I am open minded, however, and your argument has shown me the light.   Well done M.r Nerd, I agree with your point.   Gilman should have been DQ'd and his season should be over.   It doesn't change I loved what I saw out there by both squads, but in the interest of fair play and upholding the rules, that should have been called a DQ and hopefully sanctions come down next week.   Sadly. Brands has to be taught a lesson and his leash needs shortened before Iowa completely ruins wrestling.   

+1

Just watched the replay. I stand by what I said about the slam being called on Waters and the unsportsmanlike (should have been flagrant mis) conduct on Gilman.

Pretty clear from the replay that Waters was inexplicably called for the slam. The official even glanced at Gilman to make sure he was awarding the point to the person he intended.

Pretty clear from the replay that Waters was inexplicably called for the slam. The official even glanced at Gilman to make sure he was awarding the point to the person he intended.

According to a Flo interview, Waters thought he was called for the slam. Have certain Iowa fans been vigorously defending Waters all this time?

It needs to be understood that there are difference defining DQ.

There is a DQ from a match and DQ from an event.

In this case, an illegal slam was called which resulted in the opponent recieving a match point.  The only way the wrestler comitting the infraction can be DQ'd is if the opponenet went on the 2 minute recovery time clock and could not continue.  The same DQ would apply if one wrestler locked hands or applied a full nelson 4 times.  The 4th would be logged as a DQ.  That wrestler would lose the match but not be DQ'd from the event. 

DQ from an event can only occur when flagrant misconduct or two (before or after) the match unsportsmanlike conduct penalties are issued.  These penalties result in team point point deductions and removal from the remainder of an event.  Plus the NCAA requires the offender sits for the team's next event.

Since the call was illegal and Water's did not use up any recovery time, a DQ at that point can't occur.  You can argue all day long if the official should have called flagrant vs. illegal but he called illegal without hesitation. 

Since the call was illegal and Water's did not use up any recovery time, a DQ at that point can't occur.  You can argue all day long if the official should have called flagrant vs. illegal but he called illegal without hesitation. 

That is what is being debated. Whether the ref gave Gilman an easy out by not calling flagrant.

Would it make any difference if I told you that the Mizzou trainer thinks Alan has at least one, if not two cracked ribs and may be done for the year?

I really, really hope this is not true.

But because something like that can easily happen (and often does) when someone pulls a cowardly stunt like Gilman did, the only correct call is flagrant misconduct. 

Unsportsmanlike/Unneccessary Roughness calls DURING a match are just part of the regular 1-1-2 penalty point sequence.

If a wrestler is called for unnecessary roughness in the middle of the second period, then unsportsmanlike in the middle of the third period, no those are not grounds for flagrant misconduct. But if a wrestler is called for unnecessary roughness, then before they even reset to start and before a whistle is blown, the same wrestler conducts himself in an unsportsmanlike way, that, to me, is flagrant misconduct. Even a restart and 5-10 seconds of wrestling in between should not be enough.

Now I admit, the waters head shove, which I had not seen before might be enough to prevent DQ.

Still, I see that exact maneuver that was performed by Gilman maybe once every 2-5 years, and that is the most flagrant I remember