nom

Flagrant Misconduct

Gilman leaned forward to get momentum and threw his body back on top of Waters...anyone that says that's not flagrant is flat out delusional.  What if Waters would have been seriously injured?  What if he landed on his head and broke his neck??  Would that constitute ejection and missing the Big 10's?  Waters wouldn't be able to continue his season and go to nationals if that happened, so why should Gilman?  I seriously don't see how anyone can think what he did was okay...he's very lucky Waters didn't get injured.

I really hope the NCAA committee reviews this and takes action...this kind of thing has got to stop.  Intentionally trying to hurt another wrestler is just not okay, frustrated or not.  And it certainly isn't okay in the real world.  I can't use the excuse in court that I slammed some guy against the ground because "I got carried away".

It makes me sick that anyone would defend this.  Shame on you.

Would it make any difference if I told you that the Mizzou trainer thinks Alan has at least one, if not two cracked ribs and may be done for the year?

This is how the situation should be treated, IMO.  Waters pushing off of Gilman when he stood up in the first 2 periods isn't going to cause serious injury.  The little shove to the back of Gilman's neck by Waters isn't going to cause serious injury.  Getting momentum and throwing your entire body weight like Gilman did, with force, can very easily cause serious injury.

Whether Waters is hurt or not, I think Gilman's season should be over to teach both him and Brands a lesson about their ridiculous idea that being a thug is the same as being a tough wrestler.

Brands is the root cause of this BS.  And he ought to teach his guys some actual technique other than pushing and being out and out jackasses.   Of course that is his greatest strength these last few years.  

I loved his fake attack stance at Damion Hahn.  Reminds me of Cael's bug windshield comment.  

What is there to argue?  There was no technical point to what Gilman did--just flat out bush league.  Kudos to Waters for continuing, but he could have easily sustained a concussion or worse.  As long as stupidity like this is not seriously addressed it will continue.  JMO

I know of a different call on this same move (slamming Waters to his back, with legs in).....I didn't see it personally, but here's the scenerio.......Dave Schultz is doing a clinic near Columbus. Ohio.....and he is teaching legs to high school kids.....some really good ones were in attendance including Adam DiSabato and Rex Holman and more, and somebody in the group mentioned something to Dave, in terms of countering legs, and Dave said, "did you see that!  I moved up a weight to wrestle Ed Potokar (good with legs Ohio State vs. Oklahoma), and he threw the legs in, so I stood up, with this monster on my back.....the official just looked at us, so I said stalemate....the official said no, I said potentially dangerous, the official said no", so Dave did what Giliman did, and the official said...."YOU'RE OUTTA HERE"......Dave told the kids ...."I deserved it.....I was a jerk".   Dave Schultz is not a jerk, but take that story for what it's worth.....another story from Fadzaev's video library!!!!!

FADZ

What is there to argue?  There was no technical point to what Gilman did--just flat out bush league.  Kudos to Waters for continuing, but he could have easily sustained a concussion or worse.  As long as stupidity like this is not seriously addressed it will continue.  JMO

Have to totally agree with Coach here. 

Three posters have claimed Waters elbowed Gilman after Gilman's illegal slam, and it looked to me like there was no elbow thrown by Waters. Why the disagreement? The video doesn't seem that unclear. 

Here.  Was Gilman wrong?  Yes.  Did Waters push him with his elbow in the back of the head?  Yes.  Illegal slam?  Yes.  DQ?  Could have gone either way.

I'm an Iowa fan.

Edited by IA_Hawk

The more I watch this the more pissed I get at people whining about Waters push to Gilman's head.  Watch Water's head bounce off the mat at 1:01.  That easily could have given him a concussion and possibly ended his season.  If Waters had punched him in the head after that slam it would have been justified.  The head push was absolutely nothing.

The more I watch this the more pissed I get at people whining about Waters push to Gilman's head.  Watch Water's head bounce off the mat at 1:01.  That easily could have given him a concussion and possibly ended his season.  If Waters had punched him in the head after that slam it would have been justified.  The head push was absolutely nothing.

It is laughable that people are whining about Waters pushing Gilman's head.   Bad call all the way around, terrible refereeing. 

Vak--It was still a slam that didn't need to happen.  Gilman was in the wrong, just accept that.  I'm glad he didn't get DQ'd, but I wouldn't have argued if he had.

Like many others have said, if it were reversed, Iowa fans would be going nuts.

I didn't say he was in the right.  I said he was penalized for an illegal move, which is the standard procedure.

cooch,

I don't think it will be much of a barnburner in March.  Neither guy came particlarly close to scoring in regulation, nor really took much of an offensive shot.