Sign in to follow this  
madcat11

Should Gilman be punished further?

Should Gilman get additional punishment?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gilman get additional punishment?

• Yes
    • No

so assuming Brands gives him a stern reprimand and whatever other punishment he sees fit will that be enough for you? Or does it need to be announced at a press conference? What exactly are you looking for here?

I would say he should sit for a match, but personally I don't want to see him not compete at B1Gs.  So yeah, a good stern reprimand will do.  It has to be stern though.

Edited by madcat11

I would say he should sit for a match, but personally I don't want to see him not compete at B1Gs. So yeah, a good stern reprimand will do. It has to be stern though.

Yeah, it's got to be real stern. I'll email Tom on Monday and let him know that old Madcat and I disapprove of Gilman and he needs to be stern with him.

For those of you guys who know not which way the wind blows here. The Iowa factor and the gable tree run very very deeply in wrestling. No ref in their right mind is going to make a DQ call against an Iowa star, making them ineligible for the post season, and flat out ruining a hawkeye team championship trophy. That will be it for that ref. Short of a Billy George style attack, it will never happen.

fwiw, that would also be the end of Iowa Hawkeyes cooperating with National Duals.

For those of you guys who know not which way the wind blows here. The Iowa factor and the gable tree run very very deeply in wrestling. No ref in their right mind is going to make a DQ call against an Iowa star, making them ineligible for the post season, and flat out ruining a hawkeye team championship trophy. That will be it for that ref. Short of a Billy George style attack, it will never happen.

fwiw, that would also be the end of Iowa Hawkeyes cooperating with National Duals.

Good call. Definitely a conspiracy here.

Okay - Gilman did a cheap shot move; he deserves a penalty point for a slam. Waters may have been a minor nuisance with a weak shove of Gilman's head while getting up, but it was pretty weak as far as tough guy stuff goes (no self-respecting Iowa fan would appreciate such a weak effort). But to put the cherry on top, Gilman's response is to shoot a low double long after the action has stopped? That's the most inexplicable action of the whole chain. Weak, weak, weak. Even embarrassing. If Gilman were solid Hawkeye material he would have thrown a punch...or at least an elbow that might have included plausible deniability.

I think the Iowa faithful should be mad at Gilman

It's done and over with.  Whether or not some think a flagrant misconduct should have been called - it wasn't .  Whether or not Brands wants to punish him for soiling the good Iowa name - that's an internal team matter.  Let's all move on now.

Just saw it for the first time. Clearly a slam. Could easily have been flagrant. Seemed like a weak unsportsmanlike call (as someone else said).

Two things I don't get and haven't heard anyone mention.

1. After the slam- as the ref blew the whistle for the slam call- he basically gave a pretty decent Gibbs slap to Waters. It was much harder than anything Waters did to Gilman after the slam. Why would he hit a kid in the head that hard that just got slammed to his head? Did Waters do something to Gilman BEFORE the slam that provoked it and the ref saw it and that's what the USC was for?

2. What did you guys think of the reversal at the end? Yeah, he had a headlock but I don't think Waters was fighting off his back and still had legs in. He also got free of it almost immediately.

2. What did you guys think of the reversal at the end? Yeah, he had a headlock but I don't think Waters was fighting off his back and still had legs in. He also got free of it almost immediately.

No way that was a reversal, but at that point (in view of the preceding shinanigans), I was convinced the referee was looking for any way possible to give Gilman the match.