Sign in to follow this  
madcat11

Should Gilman be punished further?

Should Gilman get additional punishment?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gilman get additional punishment?

• Yes
    • No

1. After the slam- as the ref blew the whistle for the slam call- he basically gave a pretty decent Gibbs slap to Waters. It was much harder than anything Waters did to Gilman after the slam. Why would he hit a kid in the head that hard that just got slammed to his head? Did Waters do something to Gilman BEFORE the slam that provoked it and the ref saw it and that's what the USC was for?

2. What did you guys think of the reversal at the end? Yeah, he had a headlock but I don't think Waters was fighting off his back and still had legs in. He also got free of it almost immediately.

1. I saw that too and was wondering WTF the ref was doing. The unsportsmanlike point was deducted after that, as Waters was getting up off the mat by pushing on Gilman's head, which led to Gilman trying to double leg Waters down.

2. I was surprised he called that a reversal, not that it mattered anyway at that point.

1. I saw that too and was wondering WTF the ref was doing. The unsportsmanlike point was deducted after that, as Waters was getting up off the mat by pushing on Gilman's head, which led to Gilman trying to double leg Waters down.

It was called after but could he have seen something before the slam that he was reacting to and then the slam came up and he had to deal with both?

So let's break it down.  I'm thinking you are being farcical, but if not, it is best to own it.  

Your favorite wrestler is one who breaks the rules repeatedly and tried to injure, possibly cripple, a phenomenal D1 wrestler.

That's your position?    And before your trite anonymous response, read those words and really digest what you're saying.  

Thanks. 

seriously, I missed this level of vitriol. it's good to be back. I guess i know who's replacing Evans as my favorite Hawkeye Next season.

And people say the dual format won't energize the fans...

Edited by madcat11

Not going to say I liked what Gillman did however; the ref did not signal or call a foul.

Just my opinion when bottom man stands straight up and top man has both legs in and they are standing ref needs to call a stalemate or stalling only way going to stop this from happening.

Refs are out of control of many things this is just one of them.

Good heavens in high school if a kid is riding with both legs in and not doing anything to turn opponent ref will call stalemate and also tell top man if u keep using this will call a stall warning.

Again did not like it but it is up to officals to look out for safety of wrestlers also. Things happen in the heat of battle.

If gonna try to punish him how can you no foul was called and that is the officals call which if he had I would have ok with that.

Not going to say I liked what Gillman did however; the ref did not signal or call a foul.

Just my opinion when bottom man stands straight up and top man has both legs in and they are standing ref needs to call a stalemate or stalling only way going to stop this from happening.

Refs are out of control of many things this is just one of them.

Good heavens in high school if a kid is riding with both legs in and not doing anything to turn opponent ref will call stalemate and also tell top man if u keep using this will call a stall warning.

Again did not like it but it is up to officals to look out for safety of wrestlers also. Things happen in the heat of battle.

If gonna try to punish him how can you no foul was called and that is the officals call which if he had I would have ok with that.

Good post. My only thought is that the refs were either scared to make that call (knowing what that would mean for the team score and possibly Gilmans eligibility for big 10's), or they were biased. I highly doubt any bias, so I'm guessing they didn't want to decide the outcome of the duel....or see the Brands brothers come unglued.

OK I'm tired of thge confusion over who the slam was called on. Don't take anyting Shane Sparks says as the gospel, I wish they'd find unbiased, knowledgeable people to do broadcasts.

Anyway, the slam was called on Gilman and Watters was given apoint. Gilman received a point for the elbow to the back of the head that Watters threw immediately after. Watters had cheap stotted him at least three times prior and was warned but never penalized.

OK I'm tired of thge confusion over who the slam was called on. Don't take anyting Shane Sparks says as the gospel, I wish they'd find unbiased, knowledgeable people to do broadcasts.

Anyway, the slam was called on Gilman and Watters was given apoint. Gilman received a point for the elbow to the back of the head that Watters threw immediately after. Watters had cheap stotted him at least three times prior and was warned but never penalized.

Ok.  Brian Smith, Alan Waters, and Shane Sparks are all wrong.  Anonymous internet posters are correct.  Gotcha.  As unbelievable as it sounds, Waters was called for the slam.  Blows your mind, huh?  Should have been 2 points for Waters, not 1 and 1.

I think it's more likely Sparks is confused than the ref hit waters for the slam.

Not confused, the ref clearly hit Waters for the slam completely denying logic.

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/252077-2015-National-Duals/video/761599-125lbs-Finals-Alan-Waters-Missouri-vs-Thomas-Gilman-Iowa

Again, watch Coach Smith's reaction.

Lets not forget that what Gilman did is perfectly legal in freestyle, and is commonly taught as a way to get a defensive touch fall.  You see guys do it to each other all the time in the practice room, particularly where they do a lot of freestyle. 

I'm not excusing what Gilman did after the whistle (and certainly not excusing the ref's comically bad call), but people vilifying Gilman, saying how dangerous and risky Gilman's action and how Waters could've gotten seriously hurt, are essentially saying freestyle is overly dangerous and risky.  Relax.  Its an illegal move in folk and he should've gotten dinged for it, but that's it.