Sign in to follow this  
madcat11

Should Gilman be punished further?

Should Gilman get additional punishment?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gilman get additional punishment?

• Yes
    • No

Houdashelt was never pushing Sorenson out of bounds.  Houdashelt rides AND TURNS by using tremendous forward pressure.  Go back and watch the tape, Almost every time they went out of bounds, Houdashelt was trying to drag his toes to stay INBOUNDS.  Houdashelt is great at that, so I can only figure that Sorenson must have been bound and determined to get out of bounds.  Think about it.  If you're a great rider like Houdashelt, do you think he wants to go out and repeatedly give Sorenson a restart opportunity?  No, sorry Iowa faithful, but Houdashelt did every thing he could to keep things in bounds and the clock running.  Sorenson was running for the edge, knowing he'd get a stall warning.  Which he did.

Houdashelt was never pushing Sorenson out of bounds. Houdashelt rides AND TURNS by using tremendous forward pressure. Go back and watch the tape, Almost every time they went out of bounds, Houdashelt was trying to drag his toes to stay INBOUNDS. Houdashelt is great at that, so I can only figure that Sorenson must have been bound and determined to get out of bounds. Think about it. If you're a great rider like Houdashelt, do you think he wants to go out and repeatedly give Sorenson a restart opportunity? No, sorry Iowa faithful, but Houdashelt did every thing he could to keep things in bounds and the clock running. Sorenson was running for the edge, knowing he'd get a stall warning. Which he did.

Or Houdashelt was trying not to get called for stalling, so he pushed him out to avoid the 5 count. Sorenson was already on his feet repeatedly, there was no benefit to going out of bounds and starting in referee's position again. You could see Sorenson trying to stop the forward momentum over and over again. That's a ridiculous argument.

Edited by VakAttack

Or Houdashelt was trying not to get called for stalling.  Sorenson was already on his feet repeatedly, there was no benefit to going out of bounds and starting in referee's position again.  You could see Sorenson trying to stop the forward momentum over and over again. That's a ridiculous argument.

So you admit that Houdashelt was trying to stay in bounds, but somehow spin it so he's still stalling? Amazing.

Yes, this seems like a good time to avoid the content of my post and make sweeping, generalized statements.  Good call on your part.

Your post content sucked, Vak. Seriously, you see what you want to see thru your black and gold Iowa glasses.

Let's talk about 125, 141, 149 and 157. You saw what you saw. Here is what I saw.

On Gilman's 2nd period ride he immediatly grabs Water's ankle. From 2:00 to 1:45 there is 15 full seconds where Watyers is working up to his feet as best as any wrestler could with the top man grabbing his ankle. The official NEVER started a count. 

The re start on that ride is at 1:35. From 1:35 to 1:20 is fine, but then Waters is on his feet from 1:20 to 1:15 and again, NO COUNT. Gilman returns him and they stalemate at 1:02. 

They re start at 1:02 and there is Gilman grabbing the ankle again. He has the ankle for 12 seconds before the count starts at 0:50. Gilman gets warned at 0:45 FINALLY. 

Then you have the total FIASCO in OT rideouts.

Mayes flat out dominates Jeva. He's riding Jeva near the end of the first. Jeva gets to his feet and 5 seconds later with mno audible copunt Mayes is WARNED.

You can't see the pattern here? The Iowa wrestler gets every opportunity to NOT GET WARNED while the Missou wrestlers gets WARNED IMMEDIATELY.

Houdashelt tried to keep Sorenson in bounds. Sorenson turned out of bounds. Not the other way around.

Last 35 seconds of 2nd period. LaValley takes Kelly down. While riding he drops his hand to Kelly's ankle 2x. Both times the official instantly began to count, despite the fact that Kelly wasn't working up and was essentially being forced down by LaValley's weight/pressure.

Why did he begin the count instantly on LaValley, but not do likewise to Gilman??????????????

Only in Iowa. Iowa. Iowa. Iowa. 

I know we are talking about Gilman reprimand but what about the officials and the head official in the nice suit? They let these matches get out of control and made bad calls and were inconsistent. Where is the review of their job that they likely got paid well to do? Are these the same officials that will be at NCAA's ?

Also, How many other coaches in D1 wrestling can go to the other side of the mat to scream at the official while action is still going on and not get warned or thrown out?

Edited by jstock

It boggles my mind that people are trying to pretend Sorenson caused the match to go out of bounds. How does it help Sorenson to go from standing up and the only thing restricting him being Houdashelt's arms, to being back down with Houdashelt in MORE control? CLEARLY it is more to Houdahelt's benefit to run Sorenson off the mat, not the other way around.

It boggles my mind that people are trying to pretend Sorenson caused the match to go out of bounds. How does it help Sorenson to go from standing up and the only thing restricting him being Houdashelt's arms, to being back down with Houdashelt in MORE control? CLEARLY it is more to Houdahelt's benefit to run Sorenson off the mat, not the other way around.

It helps him because he thinks the ref would ding Houdashelt for stalling just like the ref dinged the other Missou wrestlers for stalling, and lo and behold he was correct as the ref did eventually ding Houdashelt for stalling. 

It blows my mind that you can't see it. Year's of conditioning, I suppose. 

It helps him because he thinks the ref would ding Houdashelt for stalling just like the ref dinged the other Missou wrestlers for stalling, and lo and behold he was correct as the ref did eventually ding Houdashelt for stalling. 

It blows my mind that you can't see it. Year's of conditioning, I suppose. 

He would have gotten a stalling call just by staying on his feet and staying in the circle.  It makes zero sense to go out of bounds so you can start back down underneath a strong rider.  You're reaching here, due to your Iowa hatred.

Iowa vs. the World is the same as Georgetown vs. the world when Thompson was there.  Their thuggish behavior turns off everyone except their rabid, insulated fans.  It makes them feel good to try and legitimize it as mass hysteria instead of what it is - cold, harsh reality.    They don't shoot, they act like thugs at every chance, and their coach is the king of the thugs - going back over 25 years.  I was always a fan of Iowa - had my Gable sweatshirt and everything - until Brands came along and left his dirty palm prints all over the program.