Sign in to follow this  
LongShot

Iowa Style

Iowa style in the Gable era used to be push, pull, leg attack, repeat..until the opponent broke.  Made for exciting wrestling.  Now it just seems the style is push push, pull, push, repeat.  Is it a drop in athletic talent, coaching style or something else?  Because it seemed like most Hawkeyes today dipped their feet in cement before they stepped on the mat.  Maybe they could use a new style on the coaching staff? Hire Stephen Abas??  Halfway kidding.  But only halfway.  Not saying they aren't still a successful program, but that Iowa invincibility certainly has not been there in recent year.

This is not a one time episode with this team the last few years.  They really just don't pull the trigger offensively.  I didn't watch the Cornell match so can't comment on that.  I like certain Hawkeyes.  This year i would point to Gilman (though his antics are a little much) and big fan of Ramos and Metcalf.  But those guys are few and far between.  I think Evans had the second or third offensive TD for the team all match?  Correct me if i'm wrong.  Counted very few attempts before that.

Or the effects of hard weight cuts two days in a row.

Both teams had to make weight, and I doubt there are many teams this year cutting more than Mizzou.  Waters has a hard cut to get to 125 and Cox is very big for 197.  Miklus, Eblen, and England all dropped a weight class from last season also.

This is not a one time episode with this team the last few years.  They really just don't pull the trigger offensively.  I didn't watch the Cornell match so can't comment on that.  I like certain Hawkeyes.  This year i would point to Gilman (though his antics are a little much) and big fan of Ramos and Metcalf.  But those guys are few and far between.  I think Evans had the second or third offensive TD for the team all match?  Correct me if i'm wrong.  Counted very few attempts before that.

Everyone I know feels the same way about Iowa.  They are not as offensive as during the Gable years and when they do shoot, it is that same old predictable high crotch over 50% of the time.

It seems to me that collegiate wrestling is more and more leaning towards the great athletes with great leg attacks and the outstanding grinders are becoming more rare and it is clear that Iowa does not have many great athletes in their lineup.

Also, many former Hawkeyes have done a tremendous job at other D1 programs.  Could Tom Ryan become the first former Hawkeye to win a NCAA Team Title (while not at Iowa) this year?

Did it look that way yesterday against cornell? I know this is crazy talk to some of you, but could it be that there is variance between performances?

yeah, it did.  Realbuto takes more shots than the Iowa team combined. 

This isn't isolated to this year, Iowa has been wrestling like this for awhile.   No creativity on their feet or on top.

It took the best team in the country to magnify the Hawk's greatest weakness. Brands needs to put up a big sign on the practice room wall: OPEN UP. 

They have a few guys in that line up that if they really opened up, they'd get majored every time.  Those guys are hard nosed kids, but they just lack the athleticism to compete with the better wrestlers. 

The one theme Iowa has that can, and sometime hurts them, is that all 10 guys rely on working from the collar tie.  Waters wouldn't let Gilman dictates the ties.  As a result, Gilman couldn't get to his offense.  Dziewa ran into his worst match up not named Stieber.  He always wrestles somewhat flat footed but with the tie it actually helps him with his duck under series.  Instead Mayes doubled him up at will.  Sorenson ran into a guy who is probably physically stronger than him in the tie.  Kelly has limited offense and couldn't wear this guy down like he does others.  Moore hit a nice slide by.  Evans really relies on counters from head pressure off the tie.  He hit a nice takedown.  Brooks didn't wrestle and Meyer was undersized.  Burak, and everyone else in the country at 197, was outmatched.  Telford may just be the biggest 285 in contention in DI and uses that.

Still, this was their 1st loss of the season.  Also, it happened with one of their best wrestlers on the bench.  Depending on if and how he won, they may very well have beat Missouri.  They had about the worst showing they could have had and still barely lost.  Their style may not be attractive, but it wins.  They are still the favorite in March and the way tOSU and Minnesota looked this weekend, I think they may win comfortably.

Tbar

Gotta agree on the lack of "athleticism." I've said this before on another thread, I don't see any gold medalists in March for this team unless Brands can somehow jolt them into offensive technique right from the first whistle. Patterns are hard to break and Iowa's pattern seems to be set in stone.

For them to win it all in March, they'll have to run away with the Big Tens-- several champions, 9-10 qualifiers and high NCAA seeds. If they don't win the Big 10, or if it's a struggle to win, and get mediocre NCAA seeds, they'll be hurting. Without big momentum, the NCAA quarters and semis will decimate them into a bunch of consolation AAs. Like most NCAAs it's going to come down to Saturday night's big team points.

As of right now Mizzou has the momentum, will wipe up their qualifier and probably qualify 10. And they're at "home."

Edited by Cooch1

I personally think that "Iowa Style" (over)training is incompatible with developing explosive athleticism and therefore exciting offense.  Too many runs, too much weight cutting, too many practice room wars against teammates who know eachother too well, too much pressure from the Hawkeye-faithful, and not enough rest mentally and physically.  I also seem to remember a strength and conditioning video where they were lifting weights 'however you have to get it up', which was tough to watch as a S&C coach. Iowa Style is really an exaggeration of a problem which faces most U.S. athletes, but they have made over-training their calling card (to the detriment of folk-style wrestling IMO).  That said, Iowa is still turning out amazing wrestlers and the Brands bros and co. are undeniably World-class coaches who do deeply care about their wrestlers from everything i have ever seen of them.  As a counter example, if you look at the athletic development of Cornell wrestlers, their year-to-year improvements are astonishing, and it absolutely shows in their offense.

How many takedowns did Mayes have alone? How about the rest of the team? Brooks would have had 4 takedowns easy on a wore out Miklus. Stats can easily be distorted

Wait a minute, this can't be right?  Didn't Brooks get beat 9-6 by Boyd?  Miklus beat Boyd twice, once by major.  Yet every Iowa fan is sure Brooks would have mauled Miklus.  Don't let the facts get in your way Turkey!

How many takedowns did Mayes have alone? How about the rest of the team? Brooks would have had 4 takedowns easy on a wore out Miklus. Stats can easily be distorted

Mayes had 6 takedowns...the same amount as the entire Iowa team.  Let's not make excuses because Brooks didn't wrestle.  The stats aren't distorted...they're fact.

"Brooks would have had 4 takedowns easy".....were you in the camp that said Clark wins by major (he didn't), Sorenson beats Houdashelt (he didn't) and Lavallee, Eblen and Mellon get manhandled (they didn't)?  Seems like a lot of confidence and bad guesses to me.  But Brooks would have whipped the floor with Miklus......

It's great that we all can have our own opinions isn't it?! Did you watch the Boyd Brooks match? Doubtful. Miklus is a good wrestler but not this weekend, he looked bad. Brooks would beat him I assure you

A lot of Iowa fans think Burak would beat Cox if they met again too. 

A lot of Iowa fans think Burak would beat Cox if they met again too. 

Where are these Iowa fans?  I'm sure there are one or two misguided folks, since you can find someone who believes anything, but where are these "a lot of Iowa fans"?

He COULD beat him in a perfect match where Cox makes an error.  I don't think he will.  Put another way, I would never pick Burak in any one match against Cox, but my mind wouldn't be blown if Burak stole one.