Sign in to follow this  
GockeS

missouri

I wanted to be a fan of Mizzou! How can you not, watching them wrestle. What a display.

But I was torn after watching some of Water's antics.  Being from Nebraska I know some of Gilman's antics and discounted them until his Iowa years confirmed his normal disposition.

HOWEVER, his actions at the dual were not poor until after MUCH provocation.

Does Waters have a hearing problem? he wrestled after the whistle several times.

He pushed Gilman on the head getting up at least once.

I thought at first that Water's was trying to use Gilman's reputation to get him to do something stupid...and the ref's would know it and penalize gilman... (good strategy, perhaps)

but...

Gilman kept his cool for most of the match despite these things.

The slam, yes, Gilman finally lost his cool. even tho the ref's misread it and called waters for it. Then, sitting on the mat, water's rabbit punches(several seconds AFTER the slam) him AGAIN and gilman retaliates. which is what everyone sees, (water's capitalizing on Gilman's rep)

Then, in the hall, my theory of using gilman's rep against him falls apart as I watch water's drastically change directions to smash into an Iowa wrestler. yes, the Iowa guy was half blocking the path...but waters initiated the contact.

I haven't watched waters enuff to know if he normally is this much of a thug (unneccessary contact, extra wrestling, intimidation)... he isn't from Iowa, so you wouldn't normally hear about it.

but i think many more will be watching now...

I still think Gilman is a thug, but i think many have missed thugish behavior that is being shielded b/c of a reputation 

Waters is no thug. He clearly has no love for Iowa or their fans and dialed up his intensity in order to head Gilman off at the pass, so to speak. Maybe he overcompensated, but watch the Delgado match. There was no funny business at all. Iowa brings out this behavior in their opponents. Reap what you sow.

GockeS, RE: Waters colliding with the Iowa wrestler as he was returning to the locker room - An Iowa wrestler did EXACTLY the same thing to Palacio during the Cornell Iowa match.  (Palacio to his credit just threw up his hands and said "Hey, Dude, I'm done wrestling for today!  Peace!")  It sure looks to me, though, that Iowa initiates the intimidation tactics, so Iowa can't really complain then when the other guy give back the same!

Edited by redblades

Waters was not a Angel in this meet he did a lot of little bush league moves/actions the entire match not sure if this was a one time thing with him or not.  It is what it is and IMO really does not justify what Gilman did a very bush league move which he was penalized for to me end of discussion.

not an iowa apologist. just wondering if what waters did in the match was the usual.

as i said i have not seen him wrestle that much.

I really did enjoy watching him and the other tigers get after it. if this is the way they always wrestle: awesome! i love it.

good to hear from the other replies that this is not waters normal attack mode with extracurriculars...

just wondering if what waters did in the match was the usual.

Not at all.  I guess being in that environment brings out the worst in people.  I imagine if you put Evans on say Cornell, Utah Valley St, or even Mizzou, he would be an affable, easy-going and approachable human

Um, shoving after the whistle, pushing off a guy's head while getting up, etc., are all old-school Iowa tactics.  Doing this kind of crap showed how "intense" and "tough" they were and fans ate it up.  Why so upset that someone did it to one of their guys?

Clark did it to Synon at the end of their match (fist, then elbow in the back of the neck) and the Iowa faithful/toothless ate it up with delectation..

Um, shoving after the whistle, pushing off a guy's head while getting up, etc., are all old-school Iowa tactics.  Doing this kind of crap showed how "intense" and "tough" they were and fans ate it up.  Why so upset that someone did it to one of their guys?

Pot meet kettle.  Iowa is famous for this.  Their fans view it as gamesmanship; others see it as unsportsmanship.  Regardless, it has resulted in the Hawkeyes currently being college wrestling's version of professional wrestling entertainment's VILLIANS.  

And both sides eat it up.  Just wait until St. Louis!

Pot meet kettle.  Iowa is famous for this.  Their fans view it as gamesmanship; others see it as unsportsmanship.  Regardless, it has resulted in the Hawkeyes currently being college wrestling's version of professional wrestling entertainment's VILLIANS.  

And both sides eat it up.  Just wait until St. Louis!

It appears it's only "gamesmanship" when their guys do it.  Agree, though, makes March more interesting.  The flying backarch, though, is not gamesmanship; a guy could have his season ended by it.  Just not cool and should not be tolerated (let alone penalizing the guy who got hammered).  JMHO

Mike is an approachable easy going human. Have you ever met him? That environment brings out the best in people. 23 NCAA tiles 34 Big ten titles..

So Waters was a douche in this match only because he was wrestling Iowa? I guess that gives him a pass then

To be fair, Gilman came off as a much bigger douche to pretty much anyone not an Iowa fan. Sorry to break it to you - kid is a punk. I've never really cheered for someone losing before but I'll admit I get some satisfaction out of seeing Gilman go down.

After watching that GIF a couple of times, I'm reminded of the various posters on here who basically claimed that Waters maliciously shoved said Iowa backup with lethal force nearly to the ground, almost killing him...

I saw that. Can't believe Waters tried bullying someone so badly. Except the kid saw him coming, knew he was in the way and still stood there. Same antics that happened against Cornell - certainly makes you wonder..

If you're going to get worked up about these things, it has to work both ways.  Meyer clearly instigated the incident against Palacio, but Waters was the issue in the second one.  The other kid just stays standing in the same spot he was in.  He was there first.  Why should he have to move?

Again, I'm fine with both, just saying people seem to want to have ti both ways here....