Sign in to follow this  
GockeS

missouri

"Though he wrestled foully, I have prevailed over yon Thomas 'o Gilman." So saying young Alan 'o Waters runneth back towards the tunnel.  As he drew nigh unto his destination, a large Hawk appeared blocking the path. "Stand back," quoth Alan, "and let the better man pass."  "Nay, nay," thinketh the Hawk, "for thou art in our crib where we scorneth all foes."  Thereupon he stood his ground firmly, daring his opponent to pass.

But young Alan was stout and brave, and springing forth like a Tiger, he thrust the Hawk aside. Then the Hawk flew into a fury - as his feathers had been sorely ruffled by such rough treatment.  He stepped menacingly after Alan 'o Waters, determined to once again play the villain's role.  But, alas, young Alan had already disappeared into the tunnel.

And thus didst Alan 'o Waters give the Hawk a lesson in one-upmanship.

IGs2fXI.gif

If you're going to get worked up about these things, it has to work both ways.  Meyer clearly instigated the incident against Palacio, but Waters was the issue in the second one.  The other kid just stays standing in the same spot he was in.  He was there first.  Why should he have to move?

Again, I'm fine with both, just saying people seem to want to have ti both ways here....

He shouldn't have been there in the first place as he was blocking Waters on purpose. His actions, not Waters actions, led to the confrontation. He was just like the bully from 3rd grade who blocked the sidewalk, except Waters gave him some medicine. 

Waters was on the mat first for Mizzou obviously. This put him in a position to have to set the tone. He also probably knew the match was going to

depend on him winning against another top notch competitor. The juices were flowing and after what happened to him at the end of the match.

Well It would have taken a certified SAINT  for him to step aside.

I'm not a great fan of the part of the Iowa style that pushes guys out of bounds after the whistle.

I am less of a fan of the Missouri /Cornell style of playing the edge and bailing out when in danger. Other than that I like the demeanor and professional attitude of coach smith and koll.

ANd lol at "blocking him on purpose".  How could you possibly know that?  The way was perfectly clear to Waters left.  He initiated the contact.

Why did the Iowa faithful nominate Meyer for "wrestler of the dual" against Cornell when he didn't even wrestle?

The difference is Waters acted like a douchebag while Gilman IS a douchebag. Some fans eat that up. Wrestling gives plenty of opportunity to be physical within the rules, no need for either side to be a dick.

I'm glad to know about your deep personal knowledge of both guys.

I can only speak for myself. I had no problem with what either guy did.

Fair enough. Fans react to what other fans say.

IMO, fans, complementary of Meyer's actions, should then have some appreciation of Water's actions in that spot. I don't think that has been demonstrated.

breaking-news-wordpress.jpg?w=535&h=169

We interrupt this thread to report the escape of an inmate from a California psychiatric facility.  The subject, known simply as Rossel3, had been receiving treatment since his involuntary commitment in late March, 2014.  At that time, son Rossel3 Jr. stated; "Dad was doing fairly well until Sanderson eclipsed Brands' record for NCAA titles.  Unfortunately, four wins in-a-row was just more than the old man could bear."

World renowned psychiatrist Dr. Suzy Shagwell said; "Mr. Rossel3 is considered more annoying than dangerous.  However, with the recent collapse of Iowa at national duals, we can't predict how he may act out.  An extreme paranoid, he is often found babbling incoherently about "double standards" against his beloved Hawkeyes.  Therefore, we felt it incumbent to alert the wrestling community.  Mr. Rossel3 is likely to resurface in his old haunts at any time." v

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

The double standards are in full display here.

Clark pushing on the back Synon's head is just nasty and unsportsmanlike, even though it is occurring during the match and Synon is making no effort to get off his belly, leading to a stalling call, and ref calls nothing against Clark. 

Waters pushing down on Gilman's head AFTER the 2nd period ends, leading to the ref telling him to stop doing that,  and hitting Gilman's head again AFTER the whistle in OT...that is all good. It is "setting the tone" or "letting Iowa know it will be a war" or "dialing up the intensity." What hypocrisy.

Look, I don't support what Gilman did (the slam) and think it deserved an unsportsmanlike penalty. But Waters, as the original poster observed, was guilty of plenty, and started the cheap stuff before Gilman did.

Gilman is a supremely confident wrestler, but in his 27 matches this season, I'm not aware of any previous DQ or unsportsmanlike conduct penalties against him. He losses to Dance at Midlands and this weekend to Boyle were without incident. Some of the Iowa haters are going overboard in attacking his character. 

Edited by rossel3

The double standards are in full display here.

Clark pushing on the back Synon's head is just nasty and unsportsmanlike, even though it is occurring during the match and Synon is making no effort to get off his belly, leading to a stalling call, and ref calls nothing against Clark. 

What are you talking about?  The only mention of Synon in this thread was by fudge_tunnel.  And he merely commented that Clark pushed off on Synon's neck at the end of the match and the Iowa faithful "ate it up." Moreover, fudge was responding to Coach_J's post that "shoving after the whistle, pushing off a guy's head while getting up, etc., are old-school Iowa tactics." 

Clearly, both posters were making the point that those complaining that Waters were using similar tactics were the ones actually applying "double standards."  (Nice Alinsky-like attempt to flip things around, but you're clearly overreaching again, Rossel.)

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

I know of a different call on this same move (slamming Waters to his back, with legs in).....I didn't see it personally, but here's the scenerio.......Dave Schultz is doing a clinic near Columbus. Ohio.....and he is teaching legs to high school kids.....some really good ones were in attendance including Adam DiSabato and Rex Holman and more, and somebody in the group mentioned something to Dave, in terms of countering legs, and Dave said, "did you see that!  I moved up a weight to wrestle Ed Potokar (good with legs Ohio State vs. Oklahoma), and he threw the legs in, so I stood up.....the official just looked at us, so I said stalemate....the official said no, I said potentially dangerous, the official said no", so Dave did what Giliman did, and the official said...."YOU'RE OUTTA HERE"......Dave told the kids ...."I deserved it.....I was a jerk".   Dave Schultz is not a jerk, but take that story for what it's worth.....another story from Fadzaev's video library!!!!!

FADZ