Sign in to follow this  
SSparks

Shane Sparks "Slam" Report

Bucksfan, you have no idea what he said to Shiels after the meet behind closed doors. For that matter, neither do I.

For all you know he didnt say a thing to Shiels, so i dont know what point ur making...unless you were there and saw Allen and Shiels talking about it. This is the problem. To have credibility, the wrestlers, coaches and everyone else need to know Allen is keeping these guys in line. I think it would help if he gave an honest statement regarding the matter. I have no doubt it would just be some politically correct mumbo jumbo.

If Sparks is right then the official was way off. But I suspect that Sparks is wrong-- that he misheard something. 

That way, the officials may have been wrong to call it one-and-one, but not as egregiously wrong as in the Sparks version.

I still don't know that Tim Shiels, one of the best refs we have, believed that Waters self slammed himself.  It is far more likely that Sheils made a signalling error and that mistake was then carried over to the scorers table.   When Sparks says he talked to the head official is he referring to Tim Shiels?

In bad calls by officals Mr. Kessel's no fall call in Evans and Perry semi match last year at nationals at Okl. City.

Funny thing also about that is both of his miss falls where at nationals in Okl City and guess where he is from...........Okl. just saying............

Thanks scribe.

Tightwaist, you missed the fleeing the mat call on Beitz in last year's Penn State/Minnesota dual by Mike McCormick (another of the country's best officials). Fleeing the mat has not been in the rulebook since the 2010-2011 season.

McCormick also let Dake defer in OT in the AS Match v. DTaylor, also not allowed.

hawkeye, I find it hard to believe Kessel is from Oklahoma. He was on my flight to Nationals last year (so was McCormick). I don't think Gary Kessel would be flying from Oklahoma City to Atlanta, and then back to Oklahoma City, the day before working Nationals, just for the heck of it.

LordNelson, is that right? I didn't remember that, to be honest.

hawkeye, I find it hard to believe Kessel is from Oklahoma. He was on my flight to Nationals last year (so was McCormick). I don't think Gary Kessel would be flying from Oklahoma City to Atlanta, and then back to Oklahoma City, the day before working Nationals, just for the heck of it.

LordNelson, is that right? I didn't remember that, to be honest.

I flew back with Gary Kessel from Omaha to Chicago too.  Funny route he'd be taking to OKC.  I thought he was from PA.

Kessell isn't an Oklahoma referee.

Had this been a freestyle match Gilman would have probably gotten 3 points for an amplitude exposure.

I was in total disbelief that Waters was called for the slam. I figured the refs would look at a video review to see who initiated the move.

This call was the worst because Waters could have been injured.

I remember the Fleeger injury that was bad.

Kessel's non call in the Churella vs Hendricks is the worst I've seen in a NCAA championship match. I had a 3rd row seat that gave me an eye level view of the mat. I was sitting next tona NWHOF referee who said he looks flat to me. I was waiting for the gasp by the OSU fans when the fall was called, it never was. I did see Kessel miss the defensive pin of Perry by Evans last year in the semis. That one wasn't as clear as the Churella-Hendricks match.

I was thinking of starting a thread on the 10 worst calls in collegiate wrestling history. My history is so much longer not many people would remember some of the things I've seen.

I was coaching a HS team in AZ in a tournament. The official was so totally incompetent that the opposing coach and I didn't know who should have actually won the match. The guy was impartial he made a lot of bad calls both ways.

First round of the NCAA tournament John Heffernan was the beneficiary of such a bad call the assistant referee turned his head away and putbhis hand up along side of his head, like I didn't see that. I wanted to accost him and tell him he should turn in his shirt and whistle, but then I'd have been thrown out and missed the tournament.

Yeah, I too looked again….in slo-mo, and stop action. This was the culmination of a - bout that was plagued by 'over the threshold' behavior. Pushing/shoving after the whistle (off the mat), heavy handed head-slaps/face slaps. Oh jeezz. And after the final whistle we witness a blow to the (rt) side of the neck ! We all should have seen that.  Soo…..what could be done differently in order to avoid what transpired ? 

Solution :

Let's go back 1…. maybe 2 periods (or so). Ref. sees what I saw, or he damn well should have.

1) He stops the action. Calls both wrestlers to the middle of the mat.

2) A first warning to both wrestlers….firmly instructs both wrestlers 'down on one knee.' Ref. also is down on one knee--eye to eye contact & clear communication with both wrestlers. 

3)   Ref. instructs both to stop this goofy *thug fighting. Should either continue thug fighting…then penalty points will ensue.

4) Next, (and last) a DQ.  

Now….we had 2 officials on the mat. We had the head of officials watching every move from about 6 to 8 ft off of the mat. That is 3 officials on or near the mat. How's my math ?

I could maybe see one (1) of these officials having a brain fart. Perhaps thinking"oh this is the D-1 Team Nationals"…..the varsity, If you will. These are tough athletes. Just let it roll….huh ?

* THUG,  a brutal ruffian Journal of Aggressivenesses/Intensive/Combative Behavior, Taylor and Butkus

Edited by denny

the whole mike allen not wanting to comment really bothers me. this happens to a greater extent in hs officiating where everyone is afraid to critique one another and they always pat each other on the back. if you're feelings get hurt because they let you know that your call sucked you shouldn't be doing the job. penalty should have been called on gilman for the slam, drill, spike whatever you want to call it. then both guys could have been dinged for unsportsmanlike conduct. gilman caught the brunt of this because he retaliated to waters' elbow/forearm. the elbow/forearm was in retaliation to the slam. just happened that gilman was way late with his response. luckily the wrong slam call didn't factor into the outcome.

Just one of the crazy things about the call is that I don't think the top man, without his feet on the ground, could force the movement that actually occurred. Only the man with his feet on the ground could have caused that action. How the official got that wrong, just from this limited point of view, is amazing. 

I think the crowd had a tremendous influence on the official(s) yesterday. 

Edited by TBar1977

Just one of the crazy things about the call is that I don't think the top man, without his feet on the ground, could force the movement that actually occurred. Only the man with his feet on the ground could have caused that action. How the official got that wrong, just from this limited point of view, is amazing. 

I think the crowd had a tremendous influence on the official(s) yesterday. 

"without his feet on the ground" Exactly. Well said. If he could (and he can't) do that …..it would hurt only him since his back hits the mat first and foremost.