Sign in to follow this  
SSparks

Shane Sparks "Slam" Report

Shane - I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but I know neither my nor anyone else's posts (that I've seen) have insinuated that you mis-reported the facts.  I understand you only can work with what you have to work with.  However, I think most of us are in agreement that the real-time facts (as correctly reported) are flat-out incomprehensible to the semi-trained wrestling minds.  This is no way your fault, simply the fault of the quasi-incompetent officiating staff.  This is just one of those few occasions where we have a head-scratching horrible call that we'll reference for many years to come (Kessel, Olson...now Shiels)

Edited by fudge_tunnel

The rebirth of Kessel...who is this sorry excuse of a ref?  In no way should he ever be allowed to officiate a college match again.  Pure insanity.

I wouldn't trust him coaching a HS match.

Does he have a connection to IA?  No way someone could have seen something so blatantly obvious and call it the opposite of what it was without a bias.

Ridden like a mule? Gilman was ridden for around 28 seconds in the match. Gilman rode waters for 1:30.

I'd say he was talking about during the overtime priods.  As you state, Gilman rode Waters for 1:30 in the second period.  However, in the first ride-out, Waters was down and reversed Gilman within 5 seconds and rode him the rest of the period (25 seconds).  Then in the second ride-out, Waters rode out the whole period except for the last second reversal (29 seconds).  

Apparently, you neglected to count Water's riding time for one of the OT periods.  At any rate, it appears that Waters had the edge in OT with about 54 seconds of riding time to Gilman's 6 seconds. I'd presume that's what R Sabich was referring to.

I talked with head mat official and the scoring was explained to me.  There was no confusion on the part of the mat official or myself as far as how I reported it.  I also talked with Mr. Alan and he declined comment.  The slam was called on Waters of Missouri.  That is the way it was called. I was there and got an explanation.  I'm not quite sure why there is all this speculating as to what happened.  I reported the facts as to what was called. 

It isn't your fault Shane. At all.  

It is the fault of the referees who see Gilman clearly stand up with Waters on his back and then GILMAN slams him down on his back as hard as he can with his feet even flying off the ground.

A blatant case of GILMAN slamming Waters.  So you'll understand people being confused when the only explanation given for who got what point is "Water was penalized for slamming Gilman".

We can keep piling on the ref who may have had a straight on angle and made a bad call, but we are missing a bigger point....we have a second ref who had a different angle... more of what we all saw.   Why didn't he step up to the plate?   

Watching the second ref on Saturday it was apparent why he didn't step in, he is not up to speed on this level of wrestling.

I have to rely on what SHP and others have indicated - that Tim Shiels is one of the better referees out there - but I would really love to hear, WHAT was he thinking, and after seeing the replay - would he agree that he just got that one wrong?

If Shiels is one of the "better" then Kessel belongs in the Hall of Fame, he has in the past demonstrated ability to be a "homer" in CHA.

Edited by ionel

I talked with head mat official and the scoring was explained to me.  There was no confusion on the part of the mat official or myself as far as how I reported it.  I also talked with Mr. Alan and he declined comment.  The slam was called on Waters of Missouri.  That is the way it was called. I was there and got an explanation.  I'm not quite sure why there is all this speculating as to what happened.  I reported the facts as to what was called. 

I can see where I was likely incorrect the way I interpreted "head official."  After re-watching the Big 10 broadcast, there were several matches in between before you actually came on with the clarification.  I guess you got to Shiels during a TV timeout or something.  My assumption was that your clarification was based off talking to Allen right after the incident and that the head mat official would not have any time available to worry about answering a reporter's question.  Based off your comments, I was wrong and had a faulty assumption.

As far a speculation goes, that is because the explanation provided, even though you said was given by the correct source, was so outlandish most avid wrestling fans could not comprehend how the Mizzo wrestler could possibly be called for a slam.

I hope I didn't insinuate that your reporting was inaccurate, because that was not my intent. The report just didn't seem logical to what was said versus what was seen.   I appreciate your work and all you do for wrestling.

Shane - I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but I know neither my nor anyone else's posts (that I've seen) have insinuated that you mis-reported the facts.  I understand you only can work with what you have to work with.  However, I think most of us are in agreement that the real-time facts (as correctly reported) are flat-out incomprehensible to the semi-trained wrestling minds.  This is no way your fault, simply the fault of the quasi-incompetent officiating staff.  This is just one of those few occasions where we have a head-scratching horrible call that we'll reference for many years to come (Kessel, Olson...now Shiels)

And why you shouldn't comment because posters were accusing Shane of not reporting it correctly in multiple threads.