Sign in to follow this  
SSparks

Shane Sparks "Slam" Report

After reading comments regarding the scoring at 125 I thought I would come on and help clarify how it was scored.  I talked with the head official a couple of times before I reported.  He told me that the slam was called on Waters and Gillman was given a point.  That made the score 4-2 (Waters). Then Gillman was called for unsportsman like and Waters was given a point which made it 5-2 (Waters). Gillman scored a reversal in the final seconds to make the final 5-4.  Again, wanted to clarify that the call was a slam on Waters and not Gillman.  That was the way it was called.  I also talked to Mike Allen to help clarify, but he had no comment. My report on BTN was accurate. Hope this helps.  Had a great time at Carver Hawkeye as always.  What a great event!!  Thanks for watching the broadcast.  Talk to you at Big 10's!!   Shane Sparks

Edited by SSparks

Rather than sending angry emails to the Iowa AD, people should call out this official. It's one thing to miss a TD call but entirely another to blow a call on a move that risks the wrestlers' safety... and then smack the wrong kid on the head (incidentally, right after he got slammed on it) afterwards. That ref needs to be put on watch if not canned altogether.

That is by far the worst call of the season, and it's not even close. Even the Iowa fans agree the slam was Gilman's move.

After reading comments regarding the scoring at 125 I thought I would come on and help clarify how it was scored.  I talked with head official Tim Shiels a couple of times before I reported.  He told me that the slam was called on Waters and Gillman was given a point.  That made the score 4-2 (Waters). Then Gillman was called for unsportsman like and Waters was given a point which made it 5-2 (Waters). Gillman scored a reversal in the final seconds to make the final 5-4.  Again, wanted to clarify that the call was a slam on Waters and not Gillman.  That was the way it was called.  I also talked to Mike Allen to help clarify, but he had no comment. My report on BTN was accurate. Hope this helps.  Had a great time at Carver Hawkeye as always.  What a great event!!  Thanks for watching the broadcast.  Talk to you at Big 10's!!   Shane Sparks

Please explain to me how on earth an official would call that slam on Waters and not Gillman?!?!?!?!?!

I just became a bigger fan of Shane Sparks.  I really appreciate a reporter coming on an internet board to clarify what he said (and what we thought) on a live TV broadcast.  Now we just need Mike Allen to come on this board and try to explain how in the world an official could call that a slam on Waters.  

(Edit, if this is indeed Shane Sparks starting this thread, I'm impressed.  If it's Mr. Waters, I feel like a fool.  I really don't know who started this thread.)

Edited by ArmyFan

scribe, usually it's the responsibility of the top man. That said, it probably shouldn't have been here. Remember, Waters was not in a situation where he could have done anything to return himself to the mat safely (although I didn't see his hands at that point, live or from any replay angle, so I can't say whether bailing out was an option), and Gilman's move was something that you're more apt to see on Spike TV than a college wrestling match. That said, I honestly don't remember ever seeing the bottom man called for an illegal slam, although if there was anywhere it should have been called it would have been this situation.

The only thing I could think of is that Gilman meant to lean back in an attempt to stick Waters, and got a little to carried away...I'm still confused as to what poor defenseless Alan Waters was supposed to do to avoid being called for that...although I didn't see how hand control looked, so the bailout may have been an option.

I thought safe return to the mat was always the responsibility of the wrestler NOT elevated.

A slam can occur from any position.  In this case, it was really another illegal maneuver called an intentional drill or forcefull fall back.  (Rule 5.8.4).

Intentional Drill. An intentional drill or forceful fall back is illegal when the defensive wrestler is in a standing position and the offensive wrestler has
a scissor hold or a cross-body ride.