Sign in to follow this  
SSparks

Shane Sparks "Slam" Report

Unbelievable.

By far the worst call I have EVER seen. Gilman bent his knees and jumped back it was clear as day. Hope this ref comes to B1G tourney. Im gonna heckle the crap out of this clown.

To top it off Allen was right there front row! Why does he even have a F'n job if he cant police terrible calls like this.

If Gilman took Waters to his back slower and got the defensive fall this wouldn't be an issue.

And if the guardian mat fairy flew in and laid a pillow and waterbed under Waters and sprinkled magic landing dust it wouldn't be an issue either.  Good God, where are some of the brains on this thread....

A slam can occur from any position.  In this case, it was really another illegal maneuver called an intentional drill or forcefull fall back.  (Rule 5.8.4).

Intentional Drill. An intentional drill or forceful fall back is illegal when the defensive wrestler is in a standing position and the offensive wrestler has
a scissor hold or a cross-body ride.

I knew there was an exact reference point to this position.  The guy just doesn't know the rules.

The only thing I could think of is that Gilman meant to lean back in an attempt to stick Waters, and got a little to carried away...I'm still confused as to what poor defenseless Alan Waters was supposed to do to avoid being called for that...although I didn't see how hand control looked, so the bailout may have been an option.

You seem like a genuinely good person who sees the best in others.

So I can think of 3 (major) blown calls by the refs over the past several years:

1.  G. Kessel and Hendricks/Churella

2.  C. Olson with Ohio State v Michigan confused scoring

3.  T. Shiels with the Waters self slam penalty point

Which was the worst?

So I can think of 3 (major) blown calls by the refs over the past several years:

Which was the worst?

Well, one decided a national title, so I'll go with Hendricks/Churella.  One and three are very bad and an embarrassment to the sport, though.  (You might have to refresh my memory on the OSU/UM incident, though.)

Which was the worst?

The most recent is probably the worst - because there is a serious safety issued involved.  Not to mention is shows the ref's incompetence.

The Hendricks/Churella was the most visible, and I think Kessel simply froze in the moment.  The Olson incident was embarrassing as well, but there was a lot going on in a short time span (the 2nd ref should have been more helpful in that situation) - he's otherwise a very good ref

A level-headed, adult wrestling fan should be able make a few separate judgments on what happened:

1. Gilman was way out of line. There's no excuse for doing what he did.

2. The referee made an incorrect call.

3. Waters was also being chippy the entire match. Post-match, he was mocking the Iowa team and fans with his wing-flapping.

He shouldered an Iowa backup on his way to the tunnel. (This is not me saying he deserved to get slammed)

4. Mike Allen has nothing to do with it...he can't control Shiel's calls on the mat and can't explain this call. If Mike A. was interfering and trying to overturn calls on the mat then half of the forum posters would be all over him too.

Here is the Cory Olson blown call.  You have to wonder what the side ref was doing during this match. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88lKtCpwDfs

What is funny is that in real time, Cody called it correctly.  It went to sh*t after he called it correctly.  That match is why college has video review now.  I've used this video to demonstrate how not to be an assistant referee.

The Gillman "backward bail" reminded me of when Mack Reiter did a pile drive on Chris Fleeger in the 2006 NCAA QFs.  Fleeger took injury time and advanced to the semi-finals.  I would say that what Gilman did had more injury potential than the Reiter-Fleeger sequence.

I can't post the link, but Google:  "Reiter Fleeger NCAA QF".  The sequence begins around the 3:40 mark in the video.