Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Russians post-wrestling careers

I was just reading another post about US World Team depth and MMA. It made me think of Makhach Murtazaliev. I remember seeing that while he was winning World titles he was also listed as a law student. Does anyone know what he does now that he is no longer competing? Beyond the Karelins and Fadzaevs of the Russian wrestling world, what do most of those for elite wrestlers do to earn a living? How many of them stay in the wrestling community?

Would guess for sure that some stay in wrestling such as B. Satiev, who I believe lives in Krasnoyarsk to train wrestlers up there even though he's from Chechnya (or is it neighboring Dagestan?).

Heard others become pretty good body guards as well. But overall, I'm guessing the post wrestling careers are probably somewhat mixed with the most successful Russian wrestlers getting good opportunities. Not 100% sure though. Good question.

Momir Petkovic 78 Olympic Champ was rumored to be a cabbie in NYC before working his way up the chain of USA wrestling also USOEC coach Aghasi Manukyan (former world champ) from Armenia was roofing with Denis Hall or something crazy before getting the job up in Northern Michigan.

Momir Petkovic 78 Olympic Champ was rumored to be a cabbie in NYC before working his way up the chain of USA wrestling also USOEC coach Aghasi Manukyan (former world champ) from Armenia was roofing with Denis Hall or something crazy before getting the job up in Northern Michigan.

Serbian

Sajidov has the highest position of the recent Russian greats. Senior asst coach or #2 guy. Wonder how he slid into that?  Surely there were/are more credentialed former wrestlers than Sajidov? Politics is everywhere! I think it is because he beat the great Cael:-) 

Wonder who the Russian coach is with the black mustache. He was in the corner at the Farrell, and he was working out with all his Russian wrestlers at the Ascend wrestling club in Hicksville before the Farrell. Man, that coach was constantly throwing the kitchen sink at his wrestlers. He was doing all types of crazy moves, and the Russian wrestlers from light to heavyweight just went with it and improvised with him. Really cool to watch.

Edited by 2td3nf

Sajidov is the Dagestan coach or something like that. Not sure how he got the job but as an athlete he had very precise classical technique. He had an injury shortened career and that one bad match at the Olympics but very formidable as a technician .

Wow I just read on another forum that Sajidov torn a disc in his lower back in 2005 but still came back in 2006 and won a world title. Very impressive. Then he lost a few close matches to Ketov in 2007 and retired after several more back issues from the same injury in 08. Maybe he should be the head asst coach!

Edited by PRyan2012

Momir Petkovic was 76 Olympic Champion and ran his own transportation business (never heard before that he was a cabbie), as well as coaching greco at NYAC. He volunteered as a coach for the US Olympic team in 2000 and the rest is history.

Sajidov has the highest position of the recent Russian greats. Senior asst coach or #2 guy. Wonder how he slid into that? Surely there were/are more credentialed former wrestlers than Sajidov? Politics is everywhere! I think it is because he beat the great Cael:-)

Can't tell if you're joking about the cael thing. You are, right?

Russians don't really care about American wrestlers. They hardly know who Cael or Gable are. The ones I've met seem oddly fascinated by Cuban wrestlers and the American wrestlers they do talk about are all black. There seems to be some sort of fascination with race going on.

Why would a Russian or any non American have a second thought about gable or sanderson? A foreigner with less than 3 world medals just isn't noteworthy to them.

You'd have to be an extreme fan. How many 1 timers do you guys know about or revere that aren't American and haven't wrestled since 2004?

Why would a Russian or any non American have a second thought about gable or sanderson? A foreigner with less than 3 world medals just isn't noteworthy to them.

You'd have to be an extreme fan. How many 1 timers do you guys know about or revere that aren't American and haven't wrestled since 2004?

are you saying i'm the only Yury Gusov super fan on this forum?