Sign in to follow this  
mattchristensen112

Finals Predictions, Rooting For, Rooting Against :)

Now that we are in the post season and everyone is making their predictions, I have decided to join in with a twist. I will be making my finals predictions, who I am rooting for, and who I am rooting against. Join in everyone!

125:

- Final Predictions: Depending on seeding this could be crazy, but if I am to pick who I think are the top two I would say Garrett over Dance. I thought about Waters and Gilman, but Waters does have a history of not performing in March and his style doesn't seem fit for three days of wrestling. Gilman does not generate enough offense for me to pick him. If he were to open up and try to score more he would be very dangerous.

- Rooting For: Garrett (Being from Northern CA) and Tomasello (I love the way this kid wrestles! Always wants to score!)

- Rooting Against: Waters (Please stay off your knees!) and Gilman (Recent slams have taken him off my list

133:

- Final: Except for Dardanes it seems everyone beat everyone this year. My prediction is Dardanes over Taylor. I think Dardanes can finally pull this off and Taylor is learning very quickly how to chain wrestle better than almost anyone in the nation.

- Rooting For: Taylor (Scores a lot of points), Clark (Hard-nosed but also likes to score), Gulibon (Would love to see him make AA)

- Rooting Against: No one

141:

- Final: Steiber over Port. I would love to say Carter, but I think his desire to score a lot against top guys hurts him a little and he gets caught. Needs to wrestle cleaner to beat Port.

- Rooting For: Carter (Too bad he wrestled Steiber for two years) and Mayes (Super fun to watch!)

- Rooting Against: No one. However, just like with all greats that lose unexpectedly, it would be epic to watch Logan go down. Will not happen, but I think of Metcalf losing to Caldwell and other matches like that are some of the best matches to watch because of the shock value.

149:

- Final: This is seriously a guess, but I am going with Tsirtsis over Habat. However, this weight class needs to learn how to score more points.

- Rooting For: Villalonga (Come on, get AA!)

- Rooting Against: Maybe the whole weight class, I just want one of them to score more than 4 points in a match.

157:

- Final: Martinez over Ness. Martinez is just a tank right now that will not be stopped.

- Rooting For: Martinez (Scores all the time!), Green (Is a senior and it would be awesome for him to win), Alton(Finish strong)

- Rooting Against: No one

165: 

- Final: Dieringer over Bo Jordan. Bo will make the finals, but this is AD's year.

- Rooting For: Walsh (For the pins)

- Rooting Against: Moore (Iowa). Now, if he decided to pick it up I will change to rooting for him as I have nothing against him, but as of right now he is depressing to watch. It looks like he is just waiting to be done.

174:

- Final: Kokesh over Brown. Kokesh seems to be solid this year and has not been caught up by 2-4.

- Rooting For: Brown (Just always has been a big fan), Storley (At least to make it past the semis!)

- Rooting Against: Evans (Best All American to not have a go to move, does nothing but push)

184:

- Final: Dean over Thomusseit. Dean is just going to win it.

- Rooting For: Stauffer and Meeks (Both Pac 12 guys and I am from the West)

- Rooting Against: No one.

197:

- Final: Cox over Snyder. Cox is HUGE!! I do not think Snyder is affected by the bright lights.

- Rooting For: Snyder (Woudn't it be cool for one school to produce two 4 timers), McIntosh (CA Kid)

- Rooting Against: No one.

285:

- Final: Gwiz over McMullan.

- Rooting For: Coon (Just like how he wrestles), Lawson (Would be cool to go from backup to AA Senior year)

Ok, Dardanes went from 4th to 6th to DNP, but he's gonna "finally pull this off", while Waters went from 2-2, to 3-2, to 4th, but he's got a history of not performing in March.  I guess anyone can see almost any trend they want to if they look hard enough.  Myself included.  I see Waters improving every year.  He's hands-down the most tested at the weight, undefeated, and won the toughest in-season tourney there is.  Not sure what else he could do to be the prohibitive favorite, but whatever.

125 Waters beats Dance

Rooting for Waters

Rooting against Gilman

133 Brewer over Dardanes

Rooting for Hall

Rooting against Clark

141 Duh.

Rooting for Mayes

Rooting against Dardanes

149 Houdashelt over Habat

Rooting for Houdashelt

Rooting against Sorenson

157 Martinez over Realbuto

Rooting for Ness

Rooting against Alton

165 Dieringer over BJordan

Rooting for Moreno

Rooting against BJordan

174 Kokesh over Brown

Rooting for Kokesh

Rooting against Evans

184 Dean over Stauffer

Rooting for Miklus

Rooting against Meeks

197 Cox over Gadson

Rooting for Cox

Rooting against Burak

Hwt Gwiz over Telford

Rooting for Coon

Rooting against Telford

Ok, Dardanes went from 4th to 6th to DNP, but he's gonna "finally pull this off", while Waters went from 2-2, to 3-2, to 4th, but he's got a history of not performing in March. I guess anyone can see almost any trend they want to if they look hard enough. Myself included. I see Waters improving every year. He's hands-down the most tested at the weight, undefeated, and won the toughest in-season tourney there is. Not sure what else he could do to be the prohibitive favorite, but whatever.

125 Waters beats Dance

Rooting for Waters

Rooting against Gilman

133 Brewer over Dardanes

Rooting for Hall

Rooting against Clark

141 Duh.

Rooting for Mayes

Rooting against Dardanes

149 Houdashelt over Habat

Rooting for Houdashelt

Rooting against Sorenson

157 Martinez over Realbuto

Rooting for Ness

Rooting against Alton

165 Dieringer over BJordan

Rooting for Moreno

Rooting against BJordan

174 Kokesh over Brown

Rooting for Kokesh

Rooting against Evans

184 Dean over Stauffer

Rooting for Miklus

Rooting against Meeks

197 Cox over Gadson

Rooting for Cox

Rooting against Burak

Hwt Gwiz over Telford

Rooting for Coon

Rooting against Telford

There does seem to be a trend forming...

125: rooting for tomasello/dance/waters (I like all 3). Rooting against gilman.

133: rooting for brewer. Rooting against nobody. Rooting against gulibon.

141:rooting for stieber/mayes. Rooting against jeva.

149: rooting for houdashelt. Rooting against habat.

157: rooting for iMar. Rooting against nobody.

165: rooting for bojo. Rooting against massa.

174: rooting for kokesh. Rooting against brown.

184: rooting for dean. Rooting against nobody.

197: rooting for Cox. Rooting against burak.

285: rooting for marsden. Rooting Against gwiz.

Finals predictions....

125 Waters over Garrett

133 Schopp over Daranes

141 Stieber over Mays

149 Houda over Sorensen

157 Martinez over Ness

165 BoJo over Dierenger

174 Storley over Brown

184 Dean over Nate Brown

197 Cox over Snyder

HWT McMullan over Gwiz

Team champs Mizzou

Rooting against:  Jesse Delgado.  "If you don't like my style, don't watch."  I hope to watch.

Rooting for:  Nate Brown.  Especially for the way he handled the Billy George incident.

Matt Brown.  national finalist, ROTC, married, 3.97 GPA, respectful ... everything that's right about college athletics.

125: rooting for Waters and Tomasello. Rooting against Gilman.
133: rooting for Gulibon, Schopp and/or Taylor. Rooting against Dardanes. 
141: rooting for Port, Logie or Mayes. Rooting against Jeva and Dardanes.
149: rooting for Houdashelt and Habat. Rooting against T Shirts and Kindig.
157: rooting for iMar or Ian Miller. Rooting against nobody.
165: rooting for Deiringer, Isaac Jordan or BoJo. Rooting against nobody (I'd root against Moore but I don't think he has a prayer to begin with).
174: rooting for Matt Brown only. Rooting against Evans only. 
184: rooting for Jack Dechow. Rooting against nobody.
197: rooting for McIntosh. Rooting against Burak.
285: rooting for Gwiz. Rooting Against Telford. 

Agree with VAK. The trend that has formed in all the above is Iowa hasn't a chance, Nobody likes Iowa, Iowa wears the black hat.

Losing to Missouri the way they did, and where they did, has really taken the spotlight off the Hawks. At any rate, it should be a down to the wire NCAA. Kind of reminds me of 1974. Tight top 4, although a completely different set of teams. OU 69.5, Mich. 67, OSU, 64, ISU 63....and (drumroll) Iowa.........48.5!

Rooting For:  Tyler "The Energizer Bunny" Cox of Wyoming.  Guy goes 100% for the entire commencement of the match.   Wrestles with a ton of heart and often wins because of his relentlessness and never say die attitude.   Hope to see him earn his second AA this year.   Sean Boyle of Chattanooga - Has really turned it on this year in his final year of competition.  Looked fantastic at the Southern Scuffle and wrestled a very smart match against Iowa's Gilman.

Rooting Against: No one.

Rooting For: Cody Brewer of Oklahoma.  Guy has a fantastic attitude and is a winner on and off the mat.   Love to see him win a National title.   Chris Dardanes of Minnesota, love redemption stories, I think this will be one.   Johnni DiJulius, can at times be a very fun and exciting wrestler to watch.

Rooting Against: No one

Rooting For: Mitchell Port of Edinboro - If you want to define the difference between confidence and arrogance, look no further than Mitchell Port.   Love his no fear but respectful attitude and his style of wrestling.  One of the most entertaining wrestlers to watch.

Rooting Against:  No one

Rooting For:  Chris Villalonga of Cornell.  Guy has the talent to be an NCAA champion.  He seems to lack strength though, which is what cost him against Sorensen on Saturday.   He has better technique than Sorensen, but he was unable to penetrate as Sorensen was able to control the match by simply being more powerful.    Love to see Villalonga in the finals, but I'll be happy (see I'll be happy for him) if he simply makes the award stand.

Rooting Against:  No One

Rooting For: Dylan Ness of Minnesota.   Too many conservative style wrestlers these days.  I enjoy watching someone who has fun and exciting moves and isn't afraid to try new things on the mat.   

Rooting For:  Alex Dieringer of Oklahoma State.  The epitome of what a wrestler should be on and off the mat.   Works extremely hard, shows great class and sportsmanship and is just a damn good guy.   Hope he is a 3 time NCAA champion.     Michael Moreno of Iowa State.   Guy continuously improves and is proof of how far a positive attitude can take someone.   Taylor Walsh of Indiana, gotta love a guy that always goes for the pin.

Rooting Against:  Dylan Palacio of Cornell.  Cocky, arrogant and often displays a poor showing of sportsmanship on the mat.   Saw it a few times as a freshman and then saw it again recently at the national duals.   I cut him some slack over what happened against Iowa, as the Hawkeye wrestlers are wrestling overly aggressive this year and the Hawkeye fans hate you no matter who you are if you aren't wearing black and gold, but I've seen him act that way in other circumstances as well.  I'm not a fan of it.

174:  
Rooting For: The fabulous four and you know who they are.    Brown, Kokesh, Evans and Storley (and no that is not in chronological order of how I hope they'll finish) have made this weight class fun and exciting to watch.    Best of luck to all of them, may the best man win.    Johnny Eblen of Missouri - Nothing suits me better than to watch a wrestler turn it on in his final year of wrestling and prove to the world that you don't have to be a God in your rookie years, you can develop and you can get better.   Andy McCulley of Wyoming -  One of my favorites for this year.   I would love to see him make AA, but he seems to just be one step away from being able to do so.  He's lost a lot of 1-3 point matches against the top talent this year.   Other than his loss to Frank Cousins, he is beating who he should beat and losing to who he should lose to (based on the rankings).    Love to see him have a miracle run at the NCAA tournament. 

Rooting against:  No One

Rooting For:  Taylor Meeks of Oregon State,  we all know how I am about redemption stories.    Blake Stauffer of Arizona State, love to see him do well at the NCAA tournament this year and reflect what a positive coaching change can do for a guy.  

Rooting For:   J'Den Cox of Missouri.  Again just like Alex Dieringer, the epitome of what a wrestler should be on and off the mat.  Wouldn't mind seeing him be the next "history" as a Four timer.    James Fox of Harvard and Shane Woods of Wyoming, both for the same reasons.  Love seeing seniors turn it on in their final year and make things happen. 

HWT
Rooting For:  Mike McMullan of Northwestern.  A  real grinder on the mat.   Always been fun to watch.   I'll miss him.    Adam Coon of Michigan.  Really like this guy, great attitude and a great role model to look up to.    

Rooting Against:  I don't know what he is like as a person, and I am not about to take any shots at him on a personal level, but I cannot stand watching Austin "The Ultimate Staller" Marsden of Oklahoma State on the mat.    He does as little as he possibly can in all of his matches.   I just hope that the referees don't hand him over an AA award this year like they did last year.   

Rooting Against: 

Agree with VAK. The trend that has formed in all the above is Iowa hasn't a chance, Nobody likes Iowa, Iowa wears the black hat.

Losing to Missouri the way they did, and where they did, has really taken the spotlight off the Hawks. At any rate, it should be a down to the wire NCAA. Kind of reminds me of 1974. Tight top 4, although a completely different set of teams. OU 69.5, Mich. 67, OSU, 64, ISU 63....and (drumroll) Iowa.........48.5!

If the Flo rankings held through the conference tournaments, which of course they won't, then Iowa, Missouri and MInnesota would have to be considered the favorites for the NCAA team title.

Ohio State, Cornell and PSU would comprise the next level, and the third  would include Illinois and Oklahoma State and Lehigh.

Of course, all these rankings will change after the conference tournaments.  I, for one, will be especially interested to see how Hunter Stieber does this weekend.  Hunter winning another Big Ten title elevates Buckeye hopes at Nationals considerably.