Sign in to follow this  
Coach_J

Message From Big Bruce

Seems some people should take a minute or so and listen to one of the greatest of all time; cannot think of one time this guy acted like a jack-ass:  https://play-positive.libertymutual.com/video/63/Bruce-Baumgartner-%7C-Compete-With-Dignity-And-Respect?src=cm-dtxt-brd-usw-pp1502110487&utm_souce=usaw&utm_medium=a&utm_term=feb15&utm_content=baumgartnervideo&utm_campaign=media

I've witheld commenting on this topic until I listened to Bruce Baumgartner. He was always classy win or lose. Gable as a competitor was the same, unfortunately some of his teams didn't act the same way. That has carried over to what is known as the Iowa way in attempting to intimidate opponents. I've never allowed kids I've coached to misbehave. I have grabbed a young man who threw his ankle ban in the trash. I took him back to the trash can then walked him back to the center where he handed it to the referee.

The kid thought the referee had made a bad call that cost him going to state. The referee had made the correct call. Later i had him go apologize to the referee. I always wanted my kids to be graceful winners and to lose with dignity. For over 40 years that has pretty well been the case even when the referee made the wrong call.

What is driving me nuts and some of my buddies with good wrestling backgrounds is the number of ear-to-ear tieups we see today. In our time it was preached by our mentors to never be in that position.

The duals were exciting, Missouri really stepped up at Hawkeye Arena.

Compete with dignity and respect. Oh, and accept any and all transfers regardless of their character as long as they will AA for you.

Are you referring to Flynn or Bruce (or both)?  Is this a reference to a guy like Donahoe?  If so, as a college coach, I brought in a number of transfers, some with "a past," and the majority (not all) got their act together and behaved impeccably.  Also, in my experience the AD is nowhere near as culpable with transfers as the Head Coach.  Just seems like a cheapshot at a man who, as a competitor on the mat (which is what he was talking about), was a fantastic ambassador for our sport.

Edited by Coach_J

I've always wondered how Bruce ended up at Indiana State?  I know he was never a State Champion, but what took him to Indiana?  Now he's in the Indiana State and Missouri Valley hall of fame.  Does the Missouri Valley Conference have any teams that wrestle?

I've witheld commenting on this topic until I listened to Bruce Baumgartner. He was always classy win or lose. Gable as a competitor was the same, unfortunately some of his teams didn't act the same way. That has carried over to what is known as the Iowa way in attempting to intimidate opponents. I've never allowed kids I've coached to misbehave. I have grabbed a young man who threw his ankle ban in the trash. I took him back to the trash can then walked him back to the center where he handed it to the referee.

The kid thought the referee had made a bad call that cost him going to state. The referee had made the correct call. Later i had him go apologize to the referee. I always wanted my kids to be graceful winners and to lose with dignity. For over 40 years that has pretty well been the case even when the referee made the wrong call.

What is driving me nuts and some of my buddies with good wrestling backgrounds is the number of ear-to-ear tieups we see today. In our time it was preached by our mentors to never be in that position.

The duals were exciting, Missouri really stepped up at Hawkeye Arena.

Nice story there BigApple.  I even agree that Iowa needs to show more class.  Here is where I have a problem with your post.  You never mention Missouri's antics of unsportsmanlike conduct.  That lowers your credibility considerably.

Nice story there BigApple.  I even agree that Iowa needs to show more class.  Here is where I have a problem with your post.  You never mention Missouri's antics of unsportsmanlike conduct.  That lowers your credibility considerably.

I've seen quite a few of Iowa's duals this season and in EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM I've seen a wrestler and/or a coach do something that could be considered unsportsmanlike.

I've seen a few of Mizzou's duals this season and saw nothing that could be considered unsportsmanlike....that is, until they wrestled Iowa in Carver-Hawkeye.  coincidence?  I think not.  

Alan%20Waters%20Pop-A-Mole_zpsrwmewky7.g

Edited by gromit

I believe Kurt Thomas, the greatest American male Gymnast of his time overlapped in time (or very close to overlap) his career at ISU with Bruce and Byrd. ISU also no longer has ale or female gymnastics

I've seen quite a few of Iowa's duals this season and in EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM I've seen a wrestler and/or a coach do something that could be considered unsportsmanlike.

I've seen a few of Mizzou's duals this season and saw nothing that could be considered unsportsmanlike....that is, until they wrestled Iowa in Carver-Hawkeye.  coincidence?  I think not.  

Alan%20Waters%20Pop-A-Mole_zpsrwmewky7.g

I doubt if the above would have occurred without the previous instance involving Palacio and Meyer.  It wouldn't surprise me if Mizzou had scouted the Hawkeye's for any off-the-mat intimidation tactics they might employ.  If so, Waters may have been expecting Carton to back into him at the last second.

I believe Kurt Thomas, the greatest American male Gymnast of his time overlapped in time (or very close to overlap) his career at ISU with Bruce and Byrd. ISU also no longer has ale or female gymnastics

I could live with knowing the female gymnasts are no longer...but no more ale is unforgivable.

I doubt if the above would have occurred without the previous instance involving Palacio and Meyer.  It wouldn't surprise me if Mizzou had scouted the Hawkeye's for any off-the-mat intimidation tactics they might employ.  If so, Waters may have been expecting Carton to back into him at the last second.

This is why I don't take Iowa haters criticism seriously.  It is always and only Iowa's fault.  This stuff sounds like my mindless mom excusing all family members of wrong doing simply because they are family members.  Has it ever occurred to you that it is Iowa with the target on its back?