Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Alan Waters on Gilman's Illegal Slam "I could have got hurt pretty bad there"

I know of a different call on this same move (slamming Waters to his back, with legs in).....I didn't see it personally, but here's the scenerio.......Dave Schultz is doing a clinic near Columbus. Ohio.....and he is teaching legs to high school kids.....some really good ones were in attendance including Adam DiSabato and Rex Holman and more, and somebody in the group mentioned something to Dave, in terms of countering legs, and Dave said, "did you see that!  I moved up a weight to wrestle Ed Potokar (good with legs Ohio State vs. Oklahoma), and he threw the legs in, so I stood up, with this monster on my back.....the official just looked at us, so I said stalemate....the official said no, I said potentially dangerous, the official said no", so Dave did what Giliman did, and the official said...."YOU'RE OUTTA HERE"......Dave told the kids ...."I deserved it.....I was a jerk".   Dave Schultz is not a jerk, but take that story for what it's worth.....another story from Fadzaev's video library!!!!!

FADZ

Edited by fadzaev2

Iowa's Gilman was the punk that day. Let's not try to re write history here. 

I have NO dog in the fight... waters was a punk as well.... go watch it again.........

You DO have a "dog in this fight" tho.. the anti Iowa bias you proudly show.

Myself.......... I want to see GOOD, CLEAN, AGGRESSIVE matches. I don't care where they come from.

I certainly did not give Gilman a pass.

I have NO dog in the fight... waters was a punk as well.... go watch it again.........

You DO have a "dog in this fight" tho.. the anti Iowa bias you proudly show.

Myself.......... I want to see GOOD, CLEAN, AGGRESSIVE matches. I don't care where they come from.

I certainly did not give Gilman a pass.

Sorry, AK, but I just don't see it the way that you see it. Gilman was the only one that was a real punk that day. The chip shot Waters gave the Iowa guy behind the bench was because of what the Iowa guy gave the prior day to Palacio. You can call it a pre emptive defensive shot.

I know it hurts Iowa fans when someone actually refuses to back down to them, but that doesn't make Waters a punk. Gilman did a number on him and could have injured him. 

Sorry, AK, but I just don't see it the way that you see it. Gilman was the only one that was a real punk that day. The chip shot Waters gave the Iowa guy behind the bench was because of what the Iowa guy gave the prior day to Palacio. You can call it a pre emptive defensive shot.

I know it hurts Iowa fans when someone actually refuses to back down to them, but that doesn't make Waters a punk. Gilman did a number on him and could have injured him. 

Gilman does something he's a punk (And no I am not trying to say Gilman doesn't deserve blame, let's not even go down that road).

Waters does a little after the action whistle, it's Iowa getting what they deserve.

Waters was being aggressive after the whistle and then had the off the mat incident, but he gets a pass because Iowa "deserves it", or "if you dish it you should be able to take it". Even if that is true, it is still a double standard, that some refuse to acknowledge. 

Hawk, the reason iowa gets so much negative attention is because they constantly act that way. It's interesting the only incident with waters all year was at iowa. And the exact same incident happened the day before with an iowa/cornell guy. maybe if iowa wasn't always doing the same bush league stuff they wouldn't get called out on it. But they do (especially gilman) and that's why they catch so much "iowa hate"

Here's the thing.  It's either all ok or none of it is (this is in regards to the pushing stuff, running into people, etc.  The Gilman slam is not ok, IMO, but it was also appropriately penalized, and that's the end of it).  You can't have it both ways.  "This is awful!  BUSH LEAGUE! [unless of course it happens to a team I don't like, then it's totally cool.}"

tb..... you are trying to turn me into something I am not. Actually sitting with the VT fans this year in my lower bowl seat. Waters was a punk, I SERIOUSLY doubt waters had ANY idea of the previous day. Gilman was a punk as well.

"I SERIOUSLY doubt waters had ANY idea of the previous day"

I thought it VERY likely that the entire Missouri contingent knew about it (and filed it away) before the night was over. Two sources--BTvideo replay and social media--Iowa fans were whooping it up over Meyer's action.

I agree with Vak on this one. No harm-no foul-and worth a chuckle.

Hawk, the reason iowa gets so much negative attention is because they constantly act that way. It's interesting the only incident with waters all year was at iowa. And the exact same incident happened the day before with an iowa/cornell guy. maybe if iowa wasn't always doing the same bush league stuff they wouldn't get called out on it. But they do (especially gilman) and that's why they catch so much "iowa hate"

I understand the Iowa hate and I am fine with it. What I don't understand is why Waters gets a pass because he did it "one time". You shouldn't get a pass because it was against Team X, which happens to be the team you don't root for. Like Vak said, you are either okay with all of it or none of it. Both wrestlers did actions that weren't very "sportsmanlike" and neither deserves a pass, if the other bothers you.

"I SERIOUSLY doubt waters had ANY idea of the previous day"

I thought it VERY likely that the entire Missouri contingent knew about it (and filed it away) before the night was over. Two sources--BTvideo replay and social media--Iowa fans were whooping it up over Meyer's action.

I agree with Vak on this one. No harm-no foul-and worth a chuckle.

LOL. Yes, I did laugh out loud. 

What are other examples?

I'm not saying you are wrong, I'd just like to hear your evidence

watch the match again there are other examples with-in the Gilman match. Is it his regular MO....I don't know. It was THAT day.

I think Mizzou was expecting Iowa to run that "play" again, too.  If you play the action back in slo-mo, it appears they may even have had an assistant watching out for it.  When Waters starts his run (right before he passes Lofthouse and Terry Brands) you can see a guy in a black suit standing in front of the bleachers just before the tunnel.  He has credentials around his neck and is looking back directly at Waters.  He takes a few steps forward and sees Waters bump into Carton.  Then, as Carton begins to follow after Waters, the guy steps in kind of between them (but still outside the ropes).  He says something (apparently to Carton) and the Hawkeye stops in his tracks. Then the black suit guy follows behind Waters toward the tunnel.

hOnx2K.png

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

I would like to know why nobody is questioning the wrestling after the whistle that Waters was continually doing the whole match before the slam it was clear it was flagrant and it was often.. Yet nothing was called , In my view the slam was in direct retaliation for those actions and the deliberate holding on and stalling if the match was called correctly prior to the slam the slam would not of happened.. IMO