Sign in to follow this  
buck

Leg Wrestling

leg riding for turns is nearly a lost art..... and leg ride counters seem to be extinct. The defensive wrestler does nothing but stall and wait for the "stalemate" call. Stalemate calls are almost always nothing more than a ref not having the balls to call stalling.

Same as when a guy shoots gets a hold of a leg and things get tough......he QUITS trying to score and does NOTHING but hold for the sure to be called "stalemate". He quits wrestling and is REWARDED by this call.

Chris Perry was pretty tough with boots.  BoJo's not flawless but has scored plenty from top with them.  Stieber uses them to set up his turns.  

Legs are alive and well if you don't just sit.

And, I'm glad the new rules penalize guys who use them for nothing.  Next we have to take away the spiral/claw ride to nowhere. (Jden cox can ride but can't turn)

Ultimately, if you can't turn and he can't get out, let's put them back in neutral with no point awarded.

Bottom man stands, top man clings.  Bottom man makes no attempt to escape, simply fights to stay on his feet and wait for the 5 second call.  

Cruz from Lehigh was called for stalling in every match over the weekend, negating his best weapon.  

Chris Perry was pretty tough with boots.  BoJo's not flawless but has scored plenty from top with them.  Stieber uses them to set up his turns.  

Legs are alive and well if you don't just sit.

And, I'm glad the new rules penalize guys who use them for nothing.  Next we have to take away the spiral/claw ride to nowhere. (Jden cox can ride but can't turn)

Ultimately, if you can't turn and he can't get out, let's put them back in neutral with no point awarded.

good idea.......... reward guys for stalling.... wrestling of today is killing itself with the "keep it close" and win at the end game. This says how old I am but the last tournament I was in I had 2 pins and scored 25-2, 23-3, and 17-2. Keep it close what a great idea.

Shows how dead leg wrestling truly is when you can name so few guys having success using them... don't ya think?

Edited by AKHUNTER

AK hunter--we need action.  If you can't score on top, let's try to get some action.  This sport is unwatchable to all but a tiny group of hardcore fans.  My brother, a fine high school wrestler, watches BTN and Flo.  He admitted to me that some matches put him to sleep.  It's boring!  We need quicker pace and more scoring.

I'm all for a one point award for back exposure as well.  

is it me, or do college referees universally not really know what stalling on top and bottom are?

No, they just are careful about not overcalling it.  And they're right.  Stall calls are not the answer.  Create too many problems.  Nick Heflin lost NCAA finals on stall point.  Match should have been decided by action.  We need rules that increase activity rather than have refs decide who to award points.

AK hunter--we need action.  If you can't score on top, let's try to get some action.  This sport is unwatchable to all but a tiny group of hardcore fans.  My brother, a fine high school wrestler, watches BTN and Flo.  He admitted to me that some matches put him to sleep.  It's boring!  We need quicker pace and more scoring.

I agree..... but calling stalemates is a HUGE part of the problem..... calling a stalemate MOST of the time is simply rewarding/awarding stalling and giving a fresh start due to stalling.

No, they just are careful about not overcalling it.  And they're right.  Stall calls are not the answer.  Create too many problems.  Nick Heflin lost NCAA finals on stall point.  Match should have been decided by action.  We need rules that increase activity rather than have refs decide who to award points.

Nick Heflin also deserved to lose that match, Cox was the agressor the whole match and Heflin didn't attempt a single move. I can't put into words how happy I am that I don't have to watch him anymore. Tony Nelson/Matt Brown on top are 10x more exciting than anything he did all last season. /rant.

On topic, I seem to remember Brent Metcalf get hit for stalling in his loss to Palmer a few years ago at B1G? Metcalf stood up and stopped moving and the ref hit him for stopping any action. Was rather interesting (hoping I'm not mixing matches up here).

Turning opponents is a last art in general. There is nothing magic about modern wrestlers that make certain techniques extinct, they just aren't applied correctly or officiating has removed it by calling stalemate or potentially dangerous. Also wrestlers don't take risk. Randy Lewis was never afraid of giving up a takedown because he was going the whole 7 minutes if he didn't get the pin first.

Also wrestlers don't take risk. Randy Lewis was never afraid of giving up a takedown because he was going the whole 7 minutes if he didn't get the pin first.

and herein lies the problem.

It never entered my mind........  nor that of the minds of my teammates, to my knowledge, to be intimidated to shoot because your shot MIGHT be turned against you. Proper position when shooting deals with most problems of that happening. Use an excellent set up and GOOOOOOOO!

BTW.....WHAT is with the time stamp on these posts........ it's 1:51 p.m. my time

Edited by AKHUNTER

Mike Moreno at Iowa State (ask Isaac Jordan) and Cody Brewer at OU are pretty decent with legs.

I can remember being in the ASU room when Eddie Urbano was an underclassman. I told him if he wanted to turn someone he needed to get off the guys hips. Too many wrestlers are afraid to take a risk in order to score points. Ben Askren was fun to watch because he'd take chances.

The referees have a lot to do with the lack of offense on top, they call things potentially dangerous that weren't called that way 20+ years ago.

Like Freestyle back exposure?  If that happened, then we might as well commit to freestyle rules. It would change every folk scramble and would make bottom wrestling too risky to attempt. I agree about action, and control in the top position is esoteric to the pedestrian, but I like our scrambles and jockeying for control. So what if we don't have mainstream appeal? We never have, probably never will.