Sign in to follow this  
jeffr_ideal

Ben Askren Rant

So the Seahawks never blitz?  Never double team an elite receiver?  Just hang back in prevent mode all game?  You are equating "defense" with "conservative."  Not the same thing.

Good point.  Perhaps my analogy is off base.  

Every decision on the playing field/wrestling mat has risk and reward.  My point is that a defensive, low risk style of wrestling is still wrestling, entertaining or not.

In football the offense still has to run plays, there is a play clock.   Run plays are still offense, still an attempt to advance field position.

Wrestling defensively, staying ear to ear, push & shove without attempts to attack a leg or upperbody move is in not "wrestling in an attempt to secure a takedown", it is pacmanning the clock.

If anything, the common stall tactics are like basketball's 4 corner "offense" without a shot clock or no shot clock until the last few minutes of the game.

Take chances and lose, not a good strategy.

If you look at the wrestlers that "come to wrestle". They are the ones that are dominant. They dominate because they "take chances".

As a competitor I found that the more I "went for it" the easier things got. Not to mention how much more fun wrestling became.

"Taking chances" implies risk.  The easiest way to win a match is by not losing a match, and "taking chances" significantly increases the odds that I may lose the match. 

oco........ WOW this couldn't be more incorrect imo.. Taking chances significantly INCREASES the odds you will win the match.

Does taking chances increase or decrease the odds you will win?

Id say that depends on lots of factors: the positioning of both wrestlers at the time of attack, your ability to score, your opponents ability to defend/counter, who will get more tired in a scramble, the likelihood of a match ending screwup, match score when you are attacking, etc.

Generally speaking, of you are fitter and/or technically better than your opponent, preferably both, taking chances is more likely to end in your favor.

All the rule change proposals being thrown around are ways of changing the above factors to make offensive scoring easier and defending attacks harder in the hope that this makes it more statistically advantageous to attack.

Edited by armspin

The crowd at Carver Hawkeye reminds me of walking into a Walmart on a Saturday after the 1st or 15th of the month.

Where has Dr. Gonzo been, anyways? He's is one of the faces in the crowd I am talking about.

Edited by TwosackJon

I always equated the Iowa style in recent years to a philosophy of manipulating the stalling rules. Push the opponent, make no attempt at a single offensive move, and then complain about stalling. The Iowa fan base is aware of this and its fans will shout "stalling!" no matter how inactive the Iowa wrestler is being. At one point during the dual the Missouri bench even mocked this. The irony is that used in this way the stalling rule makes the match less active. It becomes an attempt to induce a stalling call as a substitute for actual offense. 

Edited by straggler

The crowd at Carver Hawkeye reminds me of walking into a Walmart on a Saturday after the 1st or 15th of the month.

Where has Dr. Gonzo been, anyways? He's is one of the faces in the crowd I am talking about.

We should all keep insulting the best wrestling environment in the country.

It's productive no doubt.

Most populated doesn't equal best.   I'd take PSU or Minny over CHA for more informed fans and cuter women any time.  

Actually yes it does.

PSU is just as bad as evidenced by their loyal posters on this board the past 4 years.

The most consistent and loyal fan base by far is Iowa's.  

Regardless, it is inarguable.

Stupid and insulting posts pointed only at the fans with little or no warrant above name calling show the true intelligence of the posters typing them.

I have been to two events at Carver. They were both excellent competition and well attended. I left both saying " I will definetly come back here for future events." My next event there will be for the 2016 trials if they are held there. It is a GREAT atmosphere.

It is a LOOOOOONG haul from here.

PSU fans were pretty much driven off this board by tools like you Nelson so I find it rather ironic (and hypocritical) that you are now defending the fan base that were ten times worse in number and behavior at the end of their 3 year run. They were everywhere and they made us few PSU fans that still post here appear rather reasonable. Amazing how people forget. Of course you have alway operated with some bizarre anti-PSU fixation and resorted to name calling and insulting post numerous times. Maybe you should start by taking your own advise in the future before calling out other people.  

Edited by Flying-Tiger

WTF Tiger? And the PSU a-holes ran the Iowa people off. Turn about is fair play, I guess. You can't tell me with a straight face that TBar1977 is "reasonable"? If so, then our old friend "willyman" would be the smartest man in the world.

You run around calling people, and not just me, vaginas and douchebags. So who is unreasonable here? 

Edited by TBar1977