Sign in to follow this  
Pinnum

To Dual or Not to Dual, that is the Question. -JB

Duals are great, I agree wholeheartedly, I wish there was a college team close by. They are fan friendly and easy to follow. Promote the hell out of dual meets to gain more ESPN coverage and other sport networks. Duals matter in their own right, the NCAA title, however, belongs to the end of season individual tournament winner.

Edited by oldrules

hypothetical - lets say the NCAA says they are no longer distributing team championship trophies in individual sports. tennis, gymnastics, wrestling, fencing, etc, no more team trophies. no recognition from the NCAA for any wrestling team, but they still support and administer the sports as they did before. 

would wrestlers still enter the NCAA individual tournament and try to win individual championships and earn all american honors? 

Hypothetical - If the NCAA decided that only one method of team scores could be used. That is to say that all team contests had to determine a champion in a uniform manner throughout the season rather than switching back and forth throughout the season. Which would be better for the sport to go with tournaments only or duals only?

That would never happen. It doesn't even make sense. Neither hypothetical makes sense. 

What if the NCAA decided to cancel wrestling in its entirety and force all the athletes to play water polo instead? 

Edited by HuskyHero133

Fine article.  I'll just say one thing.  I have an older brother who was a fine wrestler.  He'll watch BTN and Flo.  But he will often turn off duals because they're just too boring.  

Can we please make wrestling more fan friendly?  Can we admit that the skill of riding is not as important as action.  That watching a youtube video of Jordan Burroughs crawling around on his knees to keep Andrew Howe down showcases how silly riding can be?  Because we need to get serious about creating a more fun and dramatic sport to watch.  

1. Yes individual wrestlers would still want to be honored even if team honors were tossed out the window.

2. Duals would be the way to go to determine a team champion...simpler and the losers aren't done, but get to remain wrestling with their team.

Hypothetical conclusion: Illinois (and some other states) got it right. Team tourney for team title. Individual tourney for individual titles.

Realistic conclusion: We're not high school. Kill two birds w/one stone...under one roof, in one Mat-I-Gras berserk weekend. Keep this tradition going and out of the hands of all the kill joys and Carrie Nations.

My preference would be to only have duals on weekends Saturday or Sunday (only 1 a week) with 4 teams attending. Wrestle 1 dual then takes a 20 minute bathroom and concession break before starting a second. Everybody gets two matches on a single weigh-in and it might increase per-event attendance.

Something else I've kind of been mulling in my mind is dropping to a 6 minute match. It would shorten the over-all time of the event but not enough to impact matches in a negative way.    

My preference would be to only have duals on weekends Saturday or Sunday (only 1 a week) with 4 teams attending. Wrestle 1 dual then takes a 20 minute bathroom and concession break before starting a second. Everybody gets two matches on a single weigh-in and it might increase per-event attendance.

Something else I've kind of been mulling in my mind is dropping to a 6 minute match. It would shorten the over-all time of the event but not enough to impact matches in a negative way.

It might increase per event attendance but would likely reduce the number of impressions for fans, reduce attendance per team, and frankly would make me less interested in attending if it is going to take five hours out of my day.

I don't like multi dual events. (Mobile)

That would never happen. It doesn't even make sense. Neither hypothetical makes sense. 

yes but try and answer anyway. its a fun thought exercise. there are no wrong answers!

What if the NCAA decided to cancel wrestling in its entirety and force all the athletes to play water polo instead? 

then lots of people would play water polo, or if they suck at swimming like me they would stop participating in ncaa sports!

hypothetical - lets say the NCAA says they are no longer distributing team championship trophies in individual sports. tennis, gymnastics, wrestling, fencing, etc, no more team trophies. no recognition from the NCAA for any wrestling team, but they still support and administer the sports as they did before. 

would wrestlers still enter the NCAA individual tournament and try to win individual championships and earn all american honors? 

i'll answer my own question since no one else seems up for it (edit: except for cooch! Mat-i-Gras, i like it!)

the answer is no wrestler would care and most would stop entering the tournament. and if they did enter the tournament for a meaningless individual title, they wouldn't try very hard. fans would stop showing up and the sport of wrestling at the NCAA level would wither up and die. 

that is why we mustnt countenance changing the way the team trophy is awarded. millions will literally die if any changes are made to how a college sport is administered 

Edited by Jaroslav Hasek

Going to a sporting event will take 5-hours out of your day anyway when you factor in travel. Reducing a match to 6-milutes will make a dual only take a little more than an hour so two with a 20-minute break between is only 2 1/2 hours in the stadium. That's kind of the magic number promoters look for when they set up events.

Imagine a Sunday prime-time dual with Penn State, Iowa, Minnesota, and Ohio State. I'd pay to see that and pay plenty. So will a lot of people.       

I went to B1G's and they draw well.  Obviously not like the NCAA's but there are tons of people there each session with the finals being packed.

Big10 Championships are exciting. Great wrestling. 

Edited by TBar1977

At St. Louis in 2004 I remember watching Jesse Jansen win the first individual title for Harvard since 1938; the crowd gave him a standing ovation when Sandy Stevens announced that fact, and acknowledged John Harkness, the previous Harvard National Champion, who was sitting up in one of the suites.

I have no idea where Harvard finished that year in the team race; can anyone recall without looking it  up?

Edited by redblades

At St. Louis in 2004 I remember watching Jesse Jansen win the first individual title for Harvard since 1938; the crowd gave him a standing ovation when Sandy Stevens announced that fact, and acknowledged John Harkness, the previous Harvard National Champion, who was sitting up in one of the suites.

I have no idea where Harvard finished that year in the team race; can anyone recall without looking it  up?

I think they ended up tied for 7th with Lehigh and Cornell. 

http://nwhof.org/NCAA-Brackets/PDF/NCAA%202004.pdf

Harvard was not in the top ten in 2004.  Jantzen won it, but they had no other placers.  The Harvard team probably placed somewhere in the 15-20 range.  This is a good example of a team that probably could not have placed in the top 50 as a dual meet team, but generated a lot of excitement with a very tough individual who won a national title.