Sign in to follow this  
CB

PAC-12 Tournament

I would think that Silver, Rodrigues, and Fierro all decent shots at At-Large bids as :

1) they earned AQ's for their weight class

2) they all finished one spot (3rd place) outside of qualifying placement (2nd)

They all have decent shots, but the single most important criteria that is the same across the board is quality wins (there's head-to-head, but that's different between each wrestler you're being compared to). If you have as many quality wins as I do, you probably aren't getting to Nationals.

Coach Chris Pendleton (ASU) deserves praise. Yet another program he's been a part of that has produced an AA candidate in the upper weights. Blake Stauffer's game has really tightened up this season. 

ASU had my curiosity, now it has my attention. PAC-12 needs to ride Zeke's wave and make another big hire. 

ASU would look mighty attractive If I was a top recruit from the midwest/east coast. It's 78 degrees this weekend in Tempe. Zeke Jones will be driving to practice playing Skynrd with the windows down while Cael is scraping ice off his windshield with a DVD of Alton high school highlights

They have the AD's full backing which is something that hasn't happened since Fred Miller was the AD in the 1970s. A friend of mine who was very successful in real estate now runs their Inner Circle Club. I attended the dual with WVU in January when school was not in session, probably 1,500 in attendance. Wrestling is outdrawing all of the other Olympic sports. I've know Zeke since he was an ASU wrestler, had lunch with him, he has really got his recruiting geared up.

I told Mark Cody at lunch shortly after Zeke got hired the first call i'd make was to Chris Pendleton. A friend of mine who was an assistant at ASU under Douglas had discussed what ASU needed to do for a couple of years. They've done all the things we knew needed to be done, primarily getting several top level freestylers for Sunkist Kids training there regularly, and increasing coaches salaries. The new PAC-12 tv contract gave them money to upgrade the Olympic sports.