Sign in to follow this  
redblades

Iowa Style Recruiting

After having seen the circus performance of "Iowa Style" on display at National Duals - including on-the-mat and off-the-mat antics - I've got to wonder:  How does this affect Iowa recruiting?  Does this kind of behavior attract certain kinds of kids?  Repel others?

It seems to me, with so much emphasis there on a so-called "intimidating physical" style of wrestling, - are the more skilled wrestlers going make other schools their first choice?

One thing for certain, as a parent - if my son was looking to wrestle fro a top D-1 program, there's no way I want him going to Iowa!

I'm betting that wrestlers will most heavily weigh one-on-one interaction with coaches, above what they might see live or on video. Social media would be a distant third. Influence of parents, I'll leave out. Not sure where that would fall. Probably depends.

After having seen the circus performance of "Iowa Style" on display at National Duals - including on-the-mat and off-the-mat antics - I've got to wonder:  How does this affect Iowa recruiting?  Does this kind of behavior attract certain kinds of kids?  Repel others?

It seems to me, with so much emphasis there on a so-called "intimidating physical" style of wrestling, - are the more skilled wrestlers going make other schools their first choice?

One thing for certain, as a parent - if my son was looking to wrestle fro a top D-1 program, there's no way I want him going to Iowa!

Do you have any idea how much love Iowa fans take in posts like this?  Apparently not.  Keep it up.  You are thrilling many folks. 

Edited by concerned_texas_coach

You're telling me that if one the top D1 wrestling programs of all time offers your son a full ride that your going to tell him absolutely not? Yeah ok, whatever you need to tell yourself.

With your mentality I doubt your kids will have what it takes to wrestle at Iowa....

Sorry guys but there are certain coached I would not want my kids to wrestle for. Their sportsmanship, or lack of it..., their methods and how they go about things are the reason. Would not forbid it as a kid of 18 is mature enough to make decisions but would expect them to listen to why I think it is not a good fit for them. Why I don't like the coach or his program. If I can't articulate the reasons clearly I would not expect him or her to give it much weight. I would hope I have done a good job raising them to think for themselves and both weigh and value my input on decisions like this.

You're telling me that if one the top D1 wrestling programs of all time offers your son a full ride that your going to tell him absolutely not? Yeah ok, whatever you need to tell yourself.

If he's getting a full ride offer from Iowa, he's getting full ride offers from many other programs also and would have many choices. 

Oh, there's no questioning Iowa's past glory; it's the future that's in question, IMO.

Are you saying you guys are OK with recent trend in Iowa's recruiting?  If so, then fine!

Oh, there's no questioning Iowa's past glory; it's the future that's in question, IMO.

Are you saying you guys are OK with recent trend in Iowa's recruiting?  If so, then fine!

Id like to think Iowa has done a great job recruiting this past year. Only time will tell where those kids end up in 4-7 years, but id like to think they are sitting pretty well.

I don't remember texas coach being an iowa fan.

You don't?  I handle is texas twister on the Iowa forums board.  I am from Iowa and have always been an Iowa fan.  Does Iowa have great fans?  Yes, so do all the other programs.  Does Iowa have horrible fans?  Yes, do do all the other programs.  Some posters just need to mature. (and no scribe, I do not mean you)

Without reading the whole thread, my guess is that a lot of top-flight kids really like Iowa's swagger. Not only does the team and their coaching staff project themselves as the "bad boys" of the sport, but they have the unquestioned legacy to back it up. Don't forget, in this day and age, a lot of the kids who are looking at Iowa have been endlessly vilified by online posters because they are a cut above the rest. They can identify with the same things they read about Iowa and may think, "Yeah, they get it... The results are there... Count me in!"

One thing Iowa fans like more than other fellow fans is Iowa haters. It is sort of like the Oakland Raiders. I really liked the old Gable teams, it was more of a push, set up, shoot mentality. The Brands leave a little to be desired but I don't dislike them either. The worst that could happen to Iowa by detractors is be ignored.