Sign in to follow this  
redblades

Iowa Style Recruiting

I can tell you already. I'm enjoying this year and looking forward to next year. 

Sure, but it's still considered Irony when a team ranked 5th (or lower) in the nation pokes fun at a team for a 5th place finish (even though it was 4th, but that's a different issue).

Without reading the whole thread, my guess is that a lot of top-flight kids really like Iowa's swagger. Not only does the team and their coaching staff project themselves as the "bad boys" of the sport, but they have the unquestioned legacy to back it up. Don't forget, in this day and age, a lot of the kids who are looking at Iowa have been endlessly vilified by online posters because they are a cut above the rest. They can identify with the same things they read about Iowa and may think, "Yeah, they get it... The results are there... Count me in!"

You apparently disagree with my contention that social media is a distant third in the decision making process. I wondered if someone would.

You apparently disagree with my contention that social media is a distant third in the decision making process. I wondered if someone would.

I talked with PA commit Mike Kemerer, he said social media didn't really factor into his decision. Granted that's a pretty small sample size, but this is a wrestler that was down to Standford, Iowa, and PSU.

From every recruit I have talked to it's basically, Yeah I notice the stuff on Twitter, but in the end I am going to make the decision that fits best with me. Sam Stoll, Iowa's heir to Bobby Telford, grew up rooting for the Gophers and didn't become an Iowa fan until later. Iowa and Minnesota have a pretty good rivalry, but when you get a chance to wrestle for a program like Iowa you take notice.

I only know from the guys I have talked to, and can't speak for the other recruits that don't pick Iowa.

I talked with PA commit Mike Kemerer, he said social media didn't really factor into his decision. Granted that's a pretty small sample size, but this is a wrestler that was down to Standford, Iowa, and PSU.

From every recruit I have talked to it's basically, Yeah I notice the stuff on Twitter, but in the end I am going to make the decision that fits best with me. Sam Stoll, Iowa's heir to Bobby Telford, grew up rooting for the Gophers and didn't become an Iowa fan until later. Iowa and Minnesota have a pretty good rivalry, but when you get a chance to wrestle for a program like Iowa you take notice.

I only know from the guys I have talked to, and can't speak for the other recruits that don't pick Iowa.

A lot of things go into choosing a school, like maybe Stoll thought the better of choosing Minnesota with Kroells in his way. 

Also, the same thing you wrote about Iowa applies to a number of schools these days. 

A lot of things go into choosing a school, like maybe Stoll thought the better of choosing Minnesota with Kroells in his way. 

Also, the same thing you wrote about Iowa applies to a number of schools these days. 

Correct so the main takeaways should've been:

1. Social Media is looked at, but is certainly not the end all be all, just following up on LkwdSteve's post.

2. Even kids that grew up rooting for a rival school, can still end up at Iowa. Isn't that the whole point of the OP looking at how Iowa acts would you want to have your kid wrestler there? If a fan of a rival college can convert and end up at Iowa, doesn't that prove the point that yes, kids still want to wrestle for Iowa? Kids that grew up rooting against Iowa, matured and realized that they want to make the best decision for their life.

Or am I missing something more here?

I think you can make the case that the COACH staff is the single most important determinant. Demonstrably was the case for Taylor and Metcalf.

True. I don't buy that a certain type of kid is an Iowa kid or not an Iowa kid. I think most of the bush league stuff we see is "learned" behavior. Then you have the real classy type kids like Sorenson and Clark that don't seem to get caught up in the Iowa "style" that you get from guys like Evans and Gilman. 

If the rest of that line up was more like Sorenson and Clark I wouild not be able to root against them. 

True. I don't buy that a certain type of kid is an Iowa kid or not an Iowa kid. I think most of the bush league stuff we see is "learned" behavior. Then you have the real classy type kids like Sorenson and Clark that don't seem to get caught up in the Iowa "style" that you get from guys like Evans and Gilman. 

If the rest of that line up was more like Sorenson and Clark I wouild not be able to root against them. 

I would say that most of the lineup is like these 2. 

Come on the reason most people dislike Iowa is they are jealous of the success of the program.  I really do not think Iowa has any more poor sports than any other program.

I'd have to disagree.  I was a fan of Iowa under Gable and they were a far more successful program then.  And, although I don't think all of Iowa's wrestlers are poor sports, they seem to always have more than their fair share.  I think that's just part of Iowa's culture nowadays and can be expected when their head coach believes such things as the following.

"In order for me to be successful – or in order for my athlete to be successful – he better be an a$$hole.   He better be a d!ck.  He better be selfish and he better be mean.  It’s you or the other guy.  Win, you live.  Lose, you die."

-Tom Brands, as seen on ESPN's The Season - Hawkeye, Iowa's Men of the Mat (Part 1)

(P.S It's rather odd that Hawk fans get all upset with so-called "haters."  After all, their coach wants guys that are a$$holes and d!cks.  So, what's wrong with someone pointing out that he's successfully recruited and/or developed the type of wrestler he needs to be successful.  But, again I'm not saying they're all that way, just an inordinate number compared to other teams.)

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

So were you a Gable fan because they won more?  I have to disagree with you I do not think Iowa has any more poor sports as you call them than other teams just more success on the mat as a whole I would say.  Again when you are getting beat on it is easier to not like the team and call them names.  People hated Gable's teams for winning so much.  I just don't think Iowa cares if you like them or not JMO

No, sir. I think you're right about it being a distant third, if not even further down the line, but that it has some impact, even if minimal.

So were you a Gable fan because they won more?  I have to disagree with you I do not think Iowa has any more poor sports as you call them than other teams just more success on the mat as a whole I would say.  Again when you are getting beat on it is easier to not like the team and call them names.  People hated Gable's teams for winning so much.  I just don't think Iowa cares if you like them or not JMO

Alwayswrestling, take anything hurricane says about Gable or Iowa with a grain of salt. He has gone out of his way to diminish Gable's accomplishments... e.g. he had many posts trying to rewrite history and give Gable a loss in HS. He has tried to smear Brands reputation. He is skilled at presenting things in a one sided fashion, e.g. posting a video capture of Derek St John pushing on Watts face to make it look like unsportsmanlike conduct, and leaving out that Watts punched St John's face a split second prior to that.

Hurricane once researched and posted a picture of Paul's grocery, to ridicule an Iowa wrestler had been caught shoplifting. I could go on, but you get the point. If your looking for an anti-Iowa slant, you can count on it from hurricane.

Occasionally college kids do something stupid and get caught. Iowa has had a few. So has PSU, Okla St and many other schools. Most on this board don't try to smear a whole school when one kid misbehaves. It is just the mud dwellers who get joy out of attacking one school and distorting things.

For the record, I don't approve of Gilman's move - the slam was illegal, and thought a penalty point was appropriate. A match DQ wouldn't have surprised me. I also think Waters was guilty of several things that could be called unsportsmanlike. Like Waters, Gilman's record this season has been clean until that match, and in general, I don't think Iowa has more unsportsmanlike conduct than most other teams. But everything on this forum seems to get blown up, making it seem that way. A few posters like hurricane are always willing to help that.

Alwayswrestling, take anything hurricane says about Gable or Iowa with a grain of salt. He has gone out of his way to diminish Gable's accomplishments... e.g. he had many posts trying to rewrite history and give Gable a loss in HS. He has tried to smear Brands reputation. He is skilled at presenting things in a one sided fashion, e.g. posting a video capture of Derek St John pushing on Watts face to make it look like unsportsmanlike conduct, and leaving out that Watts punched St John's face a split second prior to that.

Hurricane once researched and posted a picture of Paul's grocery, to ridicule an Iowa wrestler had been caught shoplifting. I could go on, but you get the point. If your looking for an anti-Iowa slant, you can count on it from hurricane.

Occasionally college kids do something stupid and get caught. Iowa has had a few. So has PSU, Okla St and many other schools. Most on this board don't try to smear a whole school when one kid misbehaves. It is just the mud dwellers who get joy out of attacking one school and distorting things.

For the record, I don't approve of Gilman's move - the slam was illegal, and thought a penalty point was appropriate. A match DQ wouldn't have surprised me. I also think Waters was guilty of several things that could be called unsportsmanlike. Like Waters, Gilman's record this season has been clean until that match, and in general, I don't think Iowa has more unsportsmanlike conduct than most other teams. But everything on this forum seems to get blown up, making it seem that way. A few posters like hurricane are always willing to help that.

LOL! I haven't blown anything up, Rossel.  It's your head coach who said: ""In order for me to be successful – or in order for my athlete to be successful – he better be an a$$hole.   He better be a d!ck."  So, when Iowa wrestlers act the way their coach wants them to act, it's fair game to comment on it. You can pretend they're no different than any other team as much as you want.  However, any objective person would come to a different conclusion.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

In the sake of fairness / equity I would suggest that the Brands faithful perhaps post similar quotes to this - from any coach in any sport.  If they don't exist then it is fair to say these are quotes from a rogue coach who encourages a lack of discipline.  

This is unacceptable in any educational setting where the stated gals include:   

Student-athlete success on the field, in the classroom and in life is at the heart of our mission.

. Perhaps International Wrestling is more a fit. 

LOL! I haven't blown anything up, Rossel.  It's your head coach who said: ""In order for me to be successful – or in order for my athlete to be successful – he better be an a$$hole.   He better be a d!ck."  So, when Iowa wrestlers act the way their coach wants them to act, it's fair game to comment on it. You can pretend that's no different than any other team as much as you want.  However, any objective person would come to a different conclusion.

A coach actually said that? Who? Tom Brands? 

A coach actually said that? Who? Tom Brands? 

Yes, Tom Brands (starts at about :35 seconds into the below video).

I don't know why guys like Rossel3 get all upset when someone points out some of  Brands' - or his wrestlers - antics.   He makes it very clear that he and his wrestlers need to be d!cks and a$$holes in order to be successful.  Not only do we have the below ESPN clip, Brands recently said "I'm a poor sport" in one of this year's news conferences.  So, I don't see what the big deal is in discussing something that Iowa's head coach readily admits to. Clearly Brands sees what many would consider  to be unsportsmanlike behavior as integral to Iowa's success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QdcHrPotm4