Sign in to follow this  
redblades

Iowa Style Recruiting

Like Waters, Gilman's record this season has been clean until that match...

I dont necessarily disagree with most of what you said except for this. This may have been the first time Gilman was called for it and recieved a penalty point but definately not first time he has "punked" it up this season. I mean cmon, CLEAN? Seems like everywhere he goes he does something either in the match or outside of the mat that is distasteful. He isnt the most dispised wrestler in the NCAA because of this incident vs Waters, it has been a combination of things. Kid is the epitomy of a Brands brain washed minion.

LOL.  What did Gilman do that would qualify as "dirty" before this?  Walk to the Minnesota huddle?

LOL. I like how you leave out any detail whatsoever as if to say Gilman simply walked up to the Minny huddle BUT THATS IT!

LOL. I could cite examples for days and it would do nothing to sway Iowa fanboys of reality. Brands' brain washing clearly extends beyond that of just his wrestlers, LOL.

P.S....LOL

LOL. I like how you leave out any detail whatsoever as if to say Gilman simply walked up to the Minny huddle BUT THATS IT!

LOL. I could cite examples for days and it would do nothing to sway Iowa fanboys of reality. Brands' brain washing clearly extends beyond that of just his wrestlers, LOL.

P.S....LOL

I too am really curious. My understanding that he really did just walk (well okay he ran) over to the Minnesota huddle and then just kinda stood there. If you have more insight I would encourage you to share.

The so called "Iowa style" is overrated, at least in current form. If they ever return to a high scoring, fast paced affair, I will be more interested. Right now, watching them is a snooze fest much like the rest of college wrestling.

You're telling me that if one the top D1 wrestling programs of all time offers your son a full ride that your going to tell him absolutely not? Yeah ok, whatever you need to tell yourself.

While they certainly have a storied history, the current regime doesn't necessarily resemble the program that built that legacy.  

The Boston Celtics are legendary.   That and $5.50 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.  

Iowa isn't exactly what it once was and the word is out to be quite frank.  Factor their academics, and it isn't exactly the destination of out nations top students.      And the women in Iowa city, well it's not exactly ASU or USC.   

I have checked out this and the Flagrant Misconduct thead and I also view the videos of Brands in "The Season" and watched Brands immediately after "the slam".    When you hear what Brands says what he wants in his wrestlers and the fact that he seems very accepting of Gilman's actions as he talks to Gilman as the officials are sorting things out,  I have to question just what They are teaching in the Iowa room.  His calm demenor may also be  that he is quite aware of what might be called and that Gilman could end up being DQed or worse.

It bothers me to post this as I was just beginning to really enjoy Brands's straight forward personality.

Brands is a tough call.  I love the guy.   He jumps around like a Mexican jumping bean and is more animated than a WWE character.   His quotes are absolutely golden and the way Cael put him in his place "bug meet windshield" was second to none.  I laughed for days.   The little guy is something else.  But i also wonder if his antics are a detriment to   his program and wrestling in general.   Although it is Iowa and we realize that, it is supposed to be an institution of higher learning.   No we don't expect Harvard or Stanford, but better than a typical middle school is expected I would think.   

With Missouri blasting the Hawkeyes in their own back yard just last week, I would think Brands has to be in the hot seat.    I for one hope they give him another year.    The entertainment factor alone is worth his weight in gold.   

LOL. I could cite examples for days and it would do nothing to sway Iowa fanboys (and Hokie guy) of reality. Brands' brain washing clearly extends beyond that of just his wrestlers, LOL.

P.S....LOL

Iowa guys and Hokie guy, see above

Iowa wrestling is somewhat like UCLA basketball. They used to be a dynasty. 

So winning three in a row within the last decade and the #1 ranked tourney team makes them a "has been" like UCLA.

Okay, and Iowa is the delusional fan base.

Lol. This is like a Seahawks fan lecturing a Steelers fan on winning.

Not a lecture, just pointing out facts. That is, unless you crazily want to claim that Iowa wrestling is still a dynasty. You wanna make that claim today, Vak? 

Edited by TBar1977

Brands is a tough call.  I love the guy.   He jumps around like a Mexican jumping bean and is more animated than a WWE character.   His quotes are absolutely golden and the way Cael put him in his place "bug meet windshield" was second to none.  I laughed for days.   The little guy is something else.  But i also wonder if his antics are a detriment to   his program and wrestling in general.   Although it is Iowa and we realize that, it is supposed to be an institution of higher learning.   No we don't expect Harvard or Stanford, but better than a typical middle school is expected I would think.   

With Missouri blasting the Hawkeyes in their own back yard just last week, I would think Brands has to be in the hot seat.    I for one hope they give him another year.    The entertainment factor alone is worth his weight in gold.   

There is no way his antics would be tolerated at a Middle School.  Add that with his legal "issue" and he couldn't get a job at a reputable Middle School.  My guess is the Iowa faithful will rally around him, but is he really the guy to mold young men in an academic setting?  Who would this board say is the second most poorly behaved Head Coach?  Is anyone close?