Sign in to follow this  
emk1

Any D-I schools interested in Pat Downey?

The interview was interesting.  It was good to know that he recognized Coach Manning as being somewhat instumental in helping him grow up a bit. Hmm.  So, he has a medical red shirt year or is it a regular redshirt year?  He is saying he has 3 more yrs of eligibility not counting an Olympic year.  By my calculations, he is 23 now and could be on the mats at age 27.  Good luck.  I believe a former Navy Vet was in his mid to late 20's several yrs ago at American (name slips me).  Also, some wrestlers do the Mormon mission and are also a little older.  Good luck to Pat Downey. 

no expert on the eligibility rules since I have been out for a while, but I am pretty sure his clock started ticking after the one year grace period after graduation for the division I level. 2011 hs graduation means his clock started ticking during the 2012-2013 season? so by my unofficial calculation 12-13, 13-14, 14-15, 15-16, 16-17 would be his 5 years? if he meets the requirements for an Olympic year 15-16 then he has 16-17 and 17-18 left?

I think the one year deferment allowance might have started the next year so that the 11-12 year could have been grandfathered in.

Do you mean that that particular rule was written in 2012?

I thought that the rule now is you can only "grayshirt" one year after you graduate high school if you attend organized practices in the grayshirt year. 

Just stick to trolling. It's my show and I'll ask the questions I want to ask. You don't like it, don't listen. 

Really!  What was your advice "Jammen, you were young once. No need to act like it again." 

No amount of podcast puffery will change the facts regarding Downey's time at Nebraska.  I hope he does well in the future, but buttercoating the past won't help.

So what's the better story?

Kid getting his life back on track after a circuitous route to a Junior College, where he learns about being part of a team and winning an NJCAA championship and credits his coach for getting him on track

OR

Hey, talk about why you were shown the door at Nebraska so we can continue to label a kid for the rest of his career?

But I'm not trying to be a tabloid-esque outfit. Then again Jammen, did you even LISTEN to the show? 

Save the snark for jammen. I was only stating what I read. I did a further check and he did plead guilty and was given a 10 year suspended sentence. He served a week in jail. The victim suffered a broken jaw and knocked out teeth. It was more than a misunderstanding or simple mistake, but maybe his life is turned around.

Edited by heelpick