Sign in to follow this  
emk1

Any D-I schools interested in Pat Downey?

Then again Jammen, did you even LISTEN to the show? 

I did.  You asked a leading question " You were under Mark Manning at Nebraska.  What is something about Moffitt that is different from any other coach you've had."

Downey responded "I didn't feel that Coach Moffitt was using me as an object" ... "The second you break your thumb you're no good to them" . 

People that know what happened are not going to believe that Downey has turned his life around when he refuses to accept responsibility for his own misdeeds by making such misleading statements.

I did.  You asked a leading question " You were under Mark Manning at Nebraska.  What is something about Moffitt that is different from any other coach you've had."

Downey responded "I didn't feel that Coach Moffitt was using me as an object" ... "The second you break your thumb you're no good to them" .

People that know what happened are not going to believe that Downey has turned his life around when he refuses to accept responsibility for his own misdeeds by making such misleading statements.

Why were you determined to be angry about the interview in advance?

Do you mean that that particular rule was written in 2012?

I thought that the rule now is you can only "grayshirt" one year after you graduate high school if you attend organized practices in the grayshirt year. 

Exactly, but it was specified as one year in 8/12 if I read the manual correctly. Prior it had to do with being over 21 and competing.

A couple of things, first I read he was outstanding in academics even when he was having problems, 2nd from what i read it was basically he had a few fights, which at a different time would be no big deal, but with the wussification that some are trying to instill, they make it a bigger deal than it is, thus the legal system calling a couple of guys getting into a fight assault and battery. If someone tells me they never had a fight I would say to myself where did he come from and that is not a good thing,  Having a few fights growing up is healthy in my opinion, even if you don't agree, the fact that he is now wrestling is a positive way to  get out his aggression, 1 on 1, no weapons, both well trained, same size etc.   I do not know the details of this case other than the googled article, but like the saying goes, do the crime = do the time, but once he is free let him be, hell yes if he is a student taking a full load, he should be allowed to try out/compete for any college he wants to

Again, if you don't like my show, don't listen to it. It's free, so you're under no requirement to listen to it.

This isn't constructive criticism, this is an adult trying to keep bringing up a kid's past when that wasn't the story. My narrative was about him overcoming some much publicized issues and finding a new outlook and working through his problems by going to Iowa Central and letting Coach Moffitt take him under his wing.

Basically Jammen, you're taking great pleasure in dragging up things that for all intents and purposes, this kid has put in his rearview. The only reason you want to bring it up is pretty cowardly. Hey, let's dog this kid so much and keep talking about why he left Nebraska so that he never gets a chance to go to another school and compete. 

It's disgusting. Do you find some enjoyment in this? Spare me the altruism. You like the Gophers and the Huskers and he burned the Huskers with some personal issues. You want to bring people 40 years your junior down. I made stupid mistakes when I was that age. A lot of us did to a varying degree. Some got more press than others.

What's unfortunate is you've turned this discussion away from a positive outlook and an attempt to turn things around into an attempt to subtly sh*t talk this guy. Sad display for a wrestling fan. 

Welcome to my ignore list. 

Great interview. As a husker fan, I obviously wish things turned out differently at NU. I did like his praise he had for Coach Manning in the interview. The broken thumb/object comment could be taken as a low blow, but I won't hold it against him as he said way more positive things about Manning and his time at Nebraska than negative. He's young and made some mistakes along the way, as we all have, all you can hope is that he has learned from them and is on the right path. I hope he goes D1 as I would like to watch him compete on the big stage....just as long as he doesn't become a hawkeye, lol. 

He deserves benefit of the doubt. I take exception to dougb's comment about being charged as a product of "wussification". Breaking someone's jaw and knocking teeth out is not a simple fight. Even so, give a chance to try out somewhere and keep him on a tight leash.

I agree, knocking teeth out and breaking someone's jaw is definitely more than just "a fight". And if true, charges and punishment are justified. I haven't read into the incident and allegations. Just stating my opinion on the matter.

..... i had a fellow teenage neighbor- forty years ago- that decided to string some old barbed wire between two tree's that my dirt bike trail went between- i didn't hurt his teeth, i don't think, but disfigured his nose pretty good ... he earned that savage beating.....

[i'm offering a differing opinion here - to be clear, no offense intended to those that posted otherwise].

Knocking teeth out and breaking someone's jaw can be, and is, sometimes the result of "just a fight". It doesn't necessarily imply any especially evil intent.

The kid was 10-2 this season against DI competition. (both losses came at Midlands; first to Mattiace of Penn and second to Abro of Eastern Michigan) In fact, those were his only two losses all season long. I have to imagine there are DI coaches out there who already know this and look favorably upon such a stat, especially if he does indeed have three years of eligibility left as he understands it.

this is a weird thread and just gets weirder. im glad we live in a country where violence is illegal and subject to legal penalties. im also glad we live in a county were contact sports like wrestling are available and free or extremely cheap to any youth that wants to partake. im also glad violent video games and tv and movies are available uncensored. my wish is that people be not worried or concerned about living in a supposed "wussified" country. if that was actually the case, congrats, you are now so much tougher than everyone else you should have that much LESS to worry about!

Back to original topic....does anyone know of any D1 schools taking a serious look at him? Kid is talented, no doubt. But clearly has some baggage.

He wouldn't be the first to "turn it around" though, I'm interested to see where he turns up (if he does indeed leave).

Destin has burned out written all over him. Hope he can turn it around but I just don't see it happening. Him and Jesse Thielke are one in the same, outstanding in high school, then a drop off in college.