Sign in to follow this  
Yellow_Medal

157 lbs JUCO Finals

Did anyone else watch the live stream of the JUCO finals?  The commentary was about what you would expect, and the rest of the production was ok, but what really stood out was the officiating, and in a bad way.  Mejias' and DeLuca's 157lbs match was a complete sham at the end:

- ~8 seconds on the clock, score 3 - 2 DeLuca

- Ref blows the whistle, for out of bounds I think

- DeLuca obviously hears the whistle and stops wrestling

- Mejias takes DeLuca down AFTER THE WHISTLE

- Refs spend an inordinate amount of time reviewing the tape

- Refs end up awarding Mejias the 2 and setting the clock back to 8 seconds with DeLuca on bottom

- Mejias rides him out for the win

I had no horse in this race, but it seems obvious to me that they should have nullified the 2 points. The ref had blown the whistle prior to the takedown attempt.  I heard it on the stream, as did the announcers.  

Anyways, it's over now, but if I was Clackamas I'd still be pretty mad

I watched it and, if anything, both guys were off the mat when Mejias begins to throw DeLuca. They offer the ability to slow down the video (the little turtle in the corner near the play button) and you can see the refs got it wrong. I like Mejias and his style, but I hate to say that he was the beneficiary of bad reffing.

I watched it and, if anything, both guys were off the mat when Mejias begins to throw DeLuca. They offer the ability to slow down the video (the little turtle in the corner near the play button) and you can see the refs got it wrong. I like Mejias and his style, but I hate to say that he was the beneficiary of bad reffing.

Thanks for going back and looking at the video.  I didn't know they still had it up for our viewing pleasure. (no that's what she said needed please...)

Thanks for going back and looking at the video.  I didn't know they still had it up for our viewing pleasure. (no that's what she said needed please...)

No problem, YM.

http://www.team1sports.com/index.php/videoPlayer/view?broadcast=104999 - the sequence begins at 1:20:55. At 1:20:58, Mejias is completely off the mat and DeLuca's foot is making it difficult to see the line and if he is stepping on it or not. Even with as beautiful a throw as it was, I suspect he was off the mat.

It looks like DeLucs's foot was towing the line from my view, but tough angle to tell from. The refs replay seemed to have had a better angle on it.

As for the whistle it seemed to come mid throw. It looked like the takedown would have almost certainly happened without the whistle, but when the whistle is blown, that should kill the action. My only question is: if the takedown is imminent at the time the action is mistakenly killed, can you award the takedown based on it being imminent? 

Edited by BigRedMachine

My only question is: if the takedown is imminent at the time the action is mistakenly killed, can you award the takedown based on it being imminent? 

I was wondering this myself, and would love to know the answer.  I'm sure DeLuca would like to know too, as it may have cost him a championship.  

From the video it looks as though the whistle came mid throw, with DeLuca airborne, when a takedown seems unavoidable.  Assuming they were not out of bounds, the referee would be left with making the choice between two bad calls: His early whistle that prevented an unavoidable takedown, or an unavoidable takedown that finished after his early whistle.  

Interesting..
Early whistle, no doubt.  I'm gathering that some portion of the wrestlers were still over or in the cylinder.
The question of, if the video review had audio, would be paramount.
To be honest.. the video review equipment for a National Tournament is flat out embarrassing.. !!
Go back a minute earlier on the previous video review... This one puzzles me... :

Check the attached image...

CLEARLY a TD..,..

but even after review they STILL missed it... !!???

The video review camera had a perfect angle on this too...

Image2.jpg

Interesting..

Early whistle, no doubt.  I'm gathering that some portion of the wrestlers were still over or in the cylinder.

The question of, if the video review had audio, would be paramount.

To be honest.. the video review equipment for a National Tournament is flat out embarrassing.. !!

Go back a minute earlier on the previous video review... This one puzzles me... :

Check the attached image...

CLEARLY a TD..,..

but even after review they STILL missed it... !!???

The video review camera had a perfect angle on this too...

My thought is that Red/White's left foot was right at the line as suggested but wouldn't you think that Green/Blue's hooked right foot especially the heel was in the cylinder? Difficult call.