Sign in to follow this  
WildWildWest

What to teach first time Freestyle wrestlers?

Assuming these guys already know folkstyle takedowns...

"Back to Center"  - Lots of live goes near the out of bounds line

Guts and Gut D

Lace and Lace D

Crotch Lift/Ankle Rolls - I'm not ok with my guys hitting this stuff, but you need to wrestle live here with guys attempting to score exposure off leg attacks

Front Headlock D - Wrestle live here, partner trying to score exposure.

You need to make guys 'aware' of the differences between folk and free as soon as possible.  Teach the technique, then a TON of live goes in those positions, with partner making those attempts.  Have to be able to feel the differences.

They need to know that if they are in on a single leg and have their hands locked, they can be tilted multiple times.

First thing I teach is how to do gutwrenches and how to defend them.

I teach the Front Head & Arm series then the Whizzer series.

Many will lose the first time out because they don't know how to "play the game". I remember 3 kids who had just finished their junior year and had never made it to state asked me to coach them. I required two 2-hour practices a week then compete in the freestyle tournament every weekend. I think they were all 0-2 the first tournament, by the end of the season all were placewinners in the state freestyle tournament, with one taking 2nd.

That summer we kept the same practice schedule and worked strictly on folkstyle mat wrestling. Two took 3rd in state, the third became academically inegible. Only wrestler I've ever had do that. I told his buddies who said happened every year it wouldn't have happened again, because I'd have been all over him.

... if wrestling greco and freestyle at the same tourney is an option- encourage them to wrestle both styles- they'll have  a blast!!   ... our off season slogan was "50-150-550"  -  get 50 matches in between the end of March and the end of May- bench 150% of body weight-  keep your mile run time at 5:50 or less.......

Edited by cornercoach

I had them wrestle both. I miss the days of "pools", kids could get a lot of matches in one day. One kid had 7, and had he won would hsve had an 8th. Left gymns at around 7pm after wrestling stsrted around 9:00-10:00 am.