Sign in to follow this  
BRGuy

recruiting or development

being great at both will make a good program but which is more important

top 20 recruiting classes every year but average development or a team full of walk ons but great at developing

Getting wrestlers to score is the key to winning. I think that is a little bit of both, recruiting and development. The team that gets the most bonus at NCAA will probably win the Tournament. 

I'm gonna say that the team with the most overall points will win.

I'm gonna say that the team with the most overall points will win.

Do you have any other pearls of wisdom for us? Things we could not possibly figure out, like, say, fire is hot, rain is wet, and Saturday comes 1 day after Friday? I'm literally on the edge of my seat in anticipation. 

Stan Abel said when he started he was called a great recruiter, by the time he was done they said he was a great coach. He got a lot bluechippers, but also developed several wrestlers who weren't highly recruited into AAs and NCAA champs. Joe Reynolds was his 15 th NCAA champ. Joe wasn't highly recruited.

Stan said about Dan Gable, he have a kid seeded 6th and coach him up to a national chsmpionship. He said Dan saw something in Jesse Whitmer that apparently no one else saw.

A coach can't win a NCAA team title most of the time with just bluechippers. You have to have the unheralded kids that you develop into quality depth.

You're overselling development in this scenario.  A team of top 20 recruits coached by me is going to beat a team of walk-ons coached by Dan Gable every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

being great at both will make a good program but which is more important

top 20 recruiting classes every year but average development or a team full of walk ons but great at developing

You're overselling development in this scenario.  A team of top 20 recruits coached by me is going to beat a team of walk-ons coached by Dan Gable every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Vak I'm with you on the recruiting thing, bottom line you gotta have the talent, but I'd add this caveat-ish comment to you beating Gable...define walk-on.

Good coaches will try to find recruits than will fit in with their, and assistants coaching strengths. To fit in with how the coaches like to coach. Not. regardless of the wrestlers talent or national ranking. I think this separates the good programs from the alsoran programs. This helps retain bodys in the room for development. So I have to say recruiting.

So recruit good kids but don't really develop them > recruiting average kids and developing them?  I don't think its that easy? 

Recruit good and develop > recruit average and develop For sure

You have to do both.

This type of question is always strange.   The best kids are highly motivated and want to wrestle for the best coaches.  Also, recruiting rankings aren't always indicative of how prepared a kid is going into college to compete.  There are many factors, including how the person handles the adjustment to college, that just can't be factored in by rankers.  

I would be interesting in knowing how many kids that start wrestling in a division 1 school and actually finish 5 or 4 years if no red shirt?  I think there would be some schools that do a good job of keeping kids, (developing them in one way or another), and some that have large amounts that do not make 5 years.