Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Mark Schultz cleaning house on Ebay

Reading the book now.  Interesting how difficult he was to be around.  I watched the movie 1st and couldn't understand the personality that Mark portrayed.  The beginning of the movie makes a lot more sense now that I have read the 1st 10 chapters of the book.

I wish I would have read the book 1st.  It is a lot more indepth about Mark and Dave growing up and getting started in wrestling and switching from OK State to UCLA and then Oklahoma.  Half of book is prior to meeting du Pont.  The movie starts about right in with du Pont.

Edited by buf87

C'mon - take it easy on Mark. He's selling the stuff that's probably been in boxes for years. The stuff you and I'd have to give to Goodwill from our basement is worth almost nothing. Mark's stuff has solid resale value.

eBay is all about selling used stuff, and using a description that includes 'Foxcatcher', marketing wise, is going to help sales.

There's no need here for a comment like "sad". It's no more sad than you or I holding a garage sale. It's just the online version of the same.

Not sure I agree rstrong. He might have signed an agreement with the movie producers to do/not do certain things. If not, it still feels/looks tacky. At least take photos of the stuff on a table or model. What an ego.

Headshuck - That's not an unfair assessment.

The selfie's in the bathroom with the 'items' were not a good choice by any stretch. 'Tacky' is one perspective. Maybe the personal modeling of the gear was to confirm it was authentic? If it was only a photo of a bag or jacket on a table, it pretty much screams 'fake'. I'm letting that one go.

Sure. Using 'Foxcatcher' for eBay marketing may pose a legal problem - but I think its safe to say that bit is between Mark and the movie guys. Pretty sure I don't want to delve into the legal implications. Going to let that one go, too.

At the end of the day, Mark is just selling his old boxed-up memorabilia on eBay. It would be overly judgemental and rude for anyone to call it "sad".

It's no more "sad" than any of us selling our skateboard because we've outgrown it. Life marches on.

Edited by rstrong

Well said WT44.  Easy to make comments but until you've had to deal with what only 1 person in the world has gone through you really should put the brakes on.  

Step away and look at just how unbelievable Mark's life is.

He is not the first or last wrestler to do this. I am the proud owner of a Cael Sanderson Team USA Olympic jacket (but it is in a box and I haven't looked at it in probably 8 years so not that proud I guess). I also have a Team USA singlet autographed by Bono. Purchased both of these items off of them as a 16 year old kid at camp.

My wrestling coach from high school gave me something supposedly belonging to Dave Schultz.  I have a nave blue wrestling warm up from the 1980 World Cup that Dave Schultz supposedly wore.  I have no idea if in fact it was Dave's, but my coach said it was.  It was the only thing my high school coach ever gave me that had any kind of value.  I know this doesn't fit the thread with anything sold or purchased, but to me there is at least a little bit of a connection.

Edited by VQLSWAIN