Sign in to follow this  
fadzaev2

10 Hawkeyes who wrestled with class

Off the top of my head 10 great Hawkeyes who wrestled with class (not in any order):

Randy Lewis (super fun to watch) (favorite matches vs. Darryl Burley)

Ed Banach (match vs. Mark Schultz one of the greatest ever)

Looooo Banach

Lincoln McIlravy (one of the greatest matches all-time vs Abas)

Chuck Yagla (great official too)

Chris Campbell

Joe Williams

Jim Zalesky

Troy Steiner

Terry Steiner

pretty good list .....and there are more!!!

Off the top of my head 10 great Hawkeyes who wrestled with class (not in any order):

Randy Lewis (super fun to watch) (favorite matches vs. Darryl Burley)

Ed Banach (match vs. Mark Schultz one of the greatest ever)

Looooo Banach

Lincoln McIlravy (one of the greatest matches all-time vs Abas)

Chuck Yagla (great official too)

Chris Campbell

Joe Williams

Jim Zalesky

Troy Steiner

Terry Steiner

pretty good list .....and there are more!!!

Cliff Moore

Jessie Whitmer

Eric Juregons

Jeff McGinness

Bill Zadick

Mark Ironside

Lee Fullhart

Daryl Weber

Jodi Strittmatter

Wes Hand

Ray Brinzer

Joel Sharett

And on and on. Frankly the vast majority of their wrestlers have been fierce competitors and great sportsman.  

Interesting to note that all but Granby Trolls suggestions wrestled in the Gable era.  One of my favorite wrestling quotes that is attributed to Gable is as follows:

"There is no mat space for malcontents or dissenters.  One must neither celebrate insanely when he wins nor sulk when he loses. He accepts victory professionally, humbly: he hates defeat, but makes no poor display of it."

Many of today's competitors would do well to conduct themselves in the way described, both in victory and defeat.

When I saw the title of this thread my first thought was that it was the answer to "What is the title to one of the shortest books in history?"

Oh, yeah, here's a smiley face so you know I'm joking : - )

Interesting to note that all but Granby Trolls suggestions wrestled in the Gable era.  One of my favorite wrestling quotes that is attributed to Gable is as follows:

"There is no mat space for malcontents or dissenters.  One must neither celebrate insanely when he wins nor sulk when he loses. He accepts victory professionally, humbly: he hates defeat, but makes no poor display of it."

Many of today's competitors would do well to conduct themselves in the way described, both in victory and defeat.

Charle Faulk

Alex Tsirtsis

Matt Ballweg

Ryan Morningstar

Aaron Jenssen

Jake Kerr

Chad Beatty

Phil Keddy

Dan Erekson

Matt Fields

Dan LeClere

Jay Borschel

Luke Lofthouse

Ethan Lofthouse

Blake Rasing

Nick Moore

Cory Clark

Brandon Sorenson

Bobby Telford

Nate Burak

Sammy Brooks

Brody Grothus

Josh Dviewa

Mike Kelly

Nate Moore

Vinnie Wagner

Tyler Clark

JJ Krusinger

Kris Klapprodt

Jeremy Fahler

Otis - I'm by no means saying that there aren't guys from the Brands era who acted with class on and off the mat.

Another guy who should be on your list is, Jay Borschel.  Wrestled hard, but I don't remember ever seeing him disrespect his opponent or the generally accepted traditions of the sport.

Let's face it, there have been more than a few punks from a bunch of other schools as well.  I was simply pointing out that those being listed in a negative light all shared one thing in common.  Brands is a great coach, and his intensity is infectious for his team and fans.  With that said, no one was more intense than Gable, but he still managed to get his guys to understand that there's a line between aggressive and intimidating, and unsportsmanlike.

Otis - I'm by no means saying that there aren't guys from the Brands era who acted with class on and off the mat.

Another guy who should be on your list is, Jay Borschel.  Wrestled hard, but I don't remember ever seeing him disrespect his opponent or the generally accepted traditions of the sport.

Let's face it, there have been more than a few punks from a bunch of other schools as well.  I was simply pointing out that those being listed in a negative light all shared one thing in common.  Brands is a great coach, and his intensity is infectious for his team and fans.  With that said, no one was more intense than Gable, but he still managed to get his guys to understand that there's a line between aggressive and intimidating, and unsportsmanlike.

Well I am sure some would put the Brands Bros at the top of the negative light list and they wrestled for Gable and he loved how they competed. So take that for what it is worth. 

This Iowa hate thread has back fired a bit. So many great Hawkeyes listed here. Great wrestlers,husbands,fathers etc. It's a shame a few bad eggs personify an entire Dynasty of great men.

I agree.  I'm not an Iowa fan but that's a pretty impressive list of solid individuals.

Well I am sure some would put the Brands Bros at the top of the negative light list and they wrestled for Gable and he loved how they competed. So take that for what it is worth. 

I wouldn't include either of the Brands brothers as guys who stepped over the line.  They may have been right up against it, but I honestly can't remember a time where either of them went completely over the line.  As I said before, there is a fine line that many guys walk.  The Brands, the Banachs, Fullhart, Sharett and others understood how to walk that line without going over it.  Much of that pressure was simply from keeping the throttle wide open on offense and outshooting their opponents by a wide margin, and never giving the guy a second to relax either physically or mentally, not just locking up and pushing.  It's what drove many of their opponents to crack mentally and either go over the line themselves or essentially quit on the mat.  As for the obvious reason for this thread, I think it was fairly obvious that Gilman lost his composure after Waters continually went a little over the line with the after the whistle shenanigans.  Hopefully it's a one off thing, because he's too good and doesn't need to step over the line himself to keep the intensity edge over most of his opponents.